General Dance Discussion > The Electric Slide

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, May 21, 2003.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

We do a lot of C&W social club dances, and they do line dances all night and we usually dance around them (2 Step, Waltz, Polka, etc.) or on the sidelines (WCS, ECS, Cha Cha, NC2S).

But every now and then . . . they play ones of those really old, fun to do, try and remember them line dances, and . . . "why, yes, I do!"

How about you?

2. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Howdy!

Just thought I'd add my two cents...for what their worth...

I do infact line dance on a fairly regular basis with several dance groups in the midwest area. We usually do the "Electric Slide" at least once per night. It's a GREAT beginners dance and can be jived up with new moves for the "pros."

I prefer the "funk" music to the actual "country" version and LOVE adding turns, floor slaps, and floor kneels. A friend of mind actually throws in the "worm" and sometime a "pushup" kind of thing. It's pretty fun.

Mambo #5 is a GREAT line dance. We actually danced that tonight...come to think of it. It's one though that if you don't do it for a while it's kind of hard to remember.

A few other favorites: Cross Over, Giddy Up, Lord to Dance, Pot of Gold, She Bangs...and there are SOOOO many more.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Floor kneels? I gotta get a visual on this! Where do the floor kneels fit in? Gotta try it. :D

Of course, I'm no bellydancer, so I'm probably not as limber as you. But I do have a great sense of adventure. Where do the kneels go?

4. d nice

d nice New Member

I thought the funk version from the 80's was the original version of the dance. Shows you what I know, I guess.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Not to mention several "hip hop"moves and "running man."

You can say that again . . . I tried it 3 weeks ago at a dance, and it took nearly the entire song to get it back!

6. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Let's see...where to put the floor kneels in:

Electric Slide (without addins)
    Counts 1-4: Grapevine right with touch
    Counts 5-8: Grapevine left with touch
    Counts 1-4: Backstep R-L-R with touch
    Counts 5-8: Rock forward onto left, touch right, Rock back onto right, touch left
    Final counts: Step left with 1/4 turn left and scuff right

Electric Slide (with addins)
    Counts 1-4: Grapevine right with touch (can do full turn right while traveling right in place of the grapevine)
    Counts 5-8: Grapevine left with touch (can do full turn left while traveling left in place of the grapevine)
    Counts 1-4: Backstep R-L-R with touch (can do full turn while traveling backwards in place of backsteps)
    Counts 5-8: Rocks (can do floor kneel following are the counts)
    Final counts: Step left with 1/4 turn left and scuff right

Counts for Floor Kneels
    Count 5: Step forward left
    Count 6: Kneel down on right knee while keeping left foot firmly planted so your left leg is making a 90 degree angle
    Count 7: Lean back on right heel and kick left foot out placing your heel on the floor. At this point, your left leg should be slanted to the floor with all your weight on your right.
    Count 8: Bring left leg back in while transferring your weight onto left foot.
    Final counts: While turning 1/4 turn left, stand back up and start the dance over again with a right grapevine.

For other line dance step sheets, check out http://www.kickit.to/ld/Main.php3.

7. pygmalion

Perfect! I can actually understand when and where to do the kneels.

How is a different matter! :lol:

Thanks.

8. Sean Boogie

Sean Boogie New Member

The Slide Is the Old Bus Stop from the 70's

9. Christina75

Christina75 New Member

hey! I remember when I first started hearing about line dancing years ago, I saw someone demonstrate what I thought was called the Bus Stop. A little while later I saw it as the Electric Slide and I just figured I had been mistaken about the name. I never heard it called the Bus Stop again until I read Sean's post. Glad to know I wasn't just imagining things. LOL

Also, on the floor kneels, when I've seen it done in the country bars around here, the cool thing is for the guys to take their hats off and twirl them as they kneel. I can't really describe it, but it looks nice. :)

Christina

10. Grandmaster Slice

Grandmaster Slice New Member

Still goin' strong.....

Greetings to all.I just wanted to thank everyone who's ever danced to my release "Electric Slide(Shall We Dance)" or purchased it.I created the record when I was a dj in southside VA in 1989.I wanted to record a record that would pack dance floors everywhere no matter what race you were or no matter how good you could dance or what your age was.I never realised that the song would never die when it was recorded.For a little info on what I've been up to since then,you can go to www.wingspanrecords.com

I may go back on the road performing soon so if you know of any promotors interested,let 'em know that I'll be checking this forum from time to time as we get things together.Again,thank you all & God bless you,Grandmaster Slice

11. pygmalion

Welcome Grandmaster Slice. :D

Nice website, btw. Loved the beats on your home page. 8)

12. Grandmaster Slice

Thanks.Needs updating but we haven't released anything new in over a year.Hopefully that'll change soon.

13. pygmalion

Good luck with your next project, and be sure to let us know how it goes. :D

14. Grandmaster Slice

Will do.Thanks again...

15. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Hi Grandmaster Slice. Welcome to the DF! :D Wow, I remember this song and "Thinking of You" as well. Cool! Good luck with your next project! :D

16. pygmalion

Yup. I remember too. The first time I heard about it I was on my way to a hayride/marshmallow roast with Big Brothers/Big Sisters. An old codger old enough to be my grandfather asked me, "You have heard electric slide, haven't you?" I lied and said I had. :oops: :lol: Oh well. It's many years later, but now I really have. Many times. Best of luck, Grandmaster Slice. :D

17. Grandmaster Slice

Yeah,"Thinking of You" did well thanks to supporters like yourself.It's still unbelievable how well that song was received.It's all blessings & I appreciate all of it.I'm not sure if I'll be rapping or producing another artist on my next project but I'll be sure to post all the info regarding that & my new clothing line which will launch this summer if all goes as planned.Glad to be able to help keep the party going.Keep on slidin'..

18. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:shock: He's here? :shock: Quick! Did we say anything horrible about the electric slide :shock:
    :oops: :lol:

Welcome Grandmaster Slice. :D If the electric slide is what I think it is, some people from South Africa taught it to me last summer :shock: so, the electric slide is still around and is well travelled :wink:

How did you discover Dance-Forums?

19. Grandmaster Slice

I decided to google my name & Electric Slide just to see what popped up & this forum was one of the links I came across.

20. pygmalion

Cool. It's so nice to have you with us. After you joined yesterday, I googled you too. :oops: :wink: It's nice to have the gen-u-wine article in the house. 8) :D