Dance Articles > The Five Elements of Musicality

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Joy In Motion, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Active Member

Hello all,

Over the course of seven weeks I am publishing a seven-part series called The Five Elements of Musicality. The goal of the series is to develop a more enlightened definition and framework for understanding musicality for the purposes of teaching, learning, and just plain enjoying. I have been researching these ideas for years, and this series is a summary of what will be published as a book chapter.

If this sounds like something you might be interested in, below is the link for Part 1 that was posted today. I am hoping for lots of feedback, so feel free to comment here or on the blog. Thanks!

The Five Elements of Musicality, Part 1: Gathering the Senses

Deepanshu likes this.
  2. Joy In Motion

Update: Part 2 was published yesterday. It reveals what the five elements of musicality are and explores the first element in depth. I'm also pretty excited about the optional homework that goes with it. If you have any thoughts, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

The Five Elements of Musicality, Part 2: The Creative Element

3. Hadi Katebi

Hadi Katebi New Member

Interesting!

Joy In Motion likes this.
  4. Joy In Motion

Part 3 was posted online today. Of all the elements, this one is perhaps the least understood and therefore the most confusing to learn and teach. Here's hoping this begins to shed some light on how we emotionally connect to the music in our dancing!

The Five Elements of Musicality, Part 3: The Emotional Element

5. Joy In Motion

Part 4 is online... This week it's the somatic element: why I don't call it the physical element, why our ideas about muscle memory need a makeover, and why the concept of translation in musicality is a false one. Curious to hear your thoughts :)

The Five Elements of Musicality, Part 4: The Somatic Element

6. Joy In Motion

Having so much fun writing this series.... This week it's Part 5, which talks about how the partner connection is essential to musicality. It seems obvious, but for some reason it rarely makes it into musicality definitions even in partnered dances. Why is that?! IMO, musicality is required for leading, following, and even just moving.

The Five Elements of Musicality, Part 5: The Relational Element

7. Joy In Motion

Part 6 is about why improvisation is the process that brings life to our dancing. That's the last of the five elements. Next week Part 7 is about defining and improving musicality in light of the five elements. Thank you to those of you who have shared your thoughts and ideas with me :)

The Five Elements of Musicality, Part 6: The Improvisational Element

8. Jina Kim

Jina Kim New Member

Very interesting!

9. Jag75

Jag75 Active Member

Read it - I have to say it's extremely well written and researched. I found it quite useful and it made me think about musicality somewhat differently, and made me more aware of other aspects of musicality. Definitely recommended reading for anyone on this board!

10. Joy In Motion

Thank you, Jag75! I'm so glad to hear you've enjoyed the articles and found them valuable. Still working on the final part in the series, and I will let everyone know when it's up :)

11. TomDCG

TomDCG New Member

Looks like I am a little late to this party, but I have stopped by the site to read some of the articles noted here, and like others I am struck by how well written they are. Really great articles, and a high quality site too.

12. CCdance

CCdance Active Member

Just finished reading part 1, love it! This is like PhD level research paper lol you did an amazing job! Thank you for sharing!

13. Joy In Motion

Thank you, CCdance and TomDCG! Your comments are great motivation for me to finish the final part of this series. I've been working hard on it but just need a final push to get it done. Hearing feedback is great encouragement. Thanks again!

Angel HI likes this.
  14. Joy In Motion

I published the finale to my musicality series today! The "homework" will be posted on the website tomorrow. Here is the link to the article. I hope you enjoy it!

The Five Elements of Musicality, Part 7: Harnessing Musicality

P.S. Thank you to everyone who has given me feedback. I really enjoyed writing this series :). Also, I am working on a follow-up series; I will keep you posted.

SDsalsaguy likes this.
  15. Joy In Motion

Hello everyone,

I moved my website to a new location (a better looking and more functional one!), so these old links no longer work. Unfortunately I can't go in and edit the previous posts in this discussion, so I'd like to give you the correct links here. I still welcome your feedback :)

The Five Elements of Musicality Series:
    Part 1: Gathering the Senses
    Part 2: The Creative Element
    Part 3: The Emotional Element
    Part 4: The Somatic Element
    Part 5: The Relational Element
    Part 6: The Improvisational Element
    Part 7: Harnessing Musicality

16. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I have read your articles...they are awesome...as someone who struggles with musicality...is there a better way to go about acquiring that skill, or is it a question of you have it or you don't....apparently, this is holding me back....in my current level, my lack of musicality....of actually hearing the music, and I don't know what to do....will listening to music and watching you tube videos help, or taking music lessons?

17. Joy In Motion

sbrnsmith... I definitely think musicality is something nearly everyone can develop. As I wrote in part 7 of my musicality series, "A lack of musicality is not natural. Rather, it is a normal response to a culture that separates body and mind, and a dance culture that separates movement and the music from which it developed... Musicians created this music, and they did so with a body like ours and a mind like ours, which is to say a human one. So it makes sense for the music – and the connections between the music and the dance – to follow the possibilities of human fingers, hands, and feet, the rhythms of walking and breathing, and the sound relationships that make sense to human minds and bodies. In fact, all cultural forms – from music and dance to sports and art – survive, evolve, and resonate with us when they fit how we perceive, how we feel, the possibilities for movement, and the capabilities of the various systems of our bodies to interact with each other and with other bodies in time and space." There are more details in that article if you're interested.

As far as how to improve your musicality, I just published an article called Finding Groove in the Body that has some ideas about this. I think it's tough to say exactly what will help the most because everyone is so different and it's hard to know exactly which part of musicality is difficult for you. For some it's what to listen for in the music while for others it's the bodily expression that is more difficult. But your suggestions - listening to music, watching YouTube videos, taking music lessons - are definitely valuable. Listening to music A LOT makes a big difference, dancing around your room however you like makes a big difference, watching other dancers and dancing with many different dancers makes a big difference. As far as music lessons, you might want to consider taking an African drumming class or a jazz or hip hop class instead. Music lessons drive some people even further into their heads when they would do better working with their bodies.

sbrnsmith likes this.
  18. ollielaven

ollielaven New Member

Great articles! Thanks for sharing.

19. marionlcr

marionlcr New Member

This article is very great. It made me to choose music and i see the differents aspects of musicality. Joy in Motion's page is very interesting, they are lots of posts of dance, music and others things. Thanks for sharing.