Dancers Anonymous > The Gas Crunch Has Begun

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Larinda McRaven, May 13, 2008.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

So tonight on my way home I stopped for gas. The pumps had little signs on them that said ...

"No Regular or Mid-Grade"
    "Premium Only"

And even then as I was pumping, the numbers slowed to a crawl AND THEN STOPPED COMPLETELY. The two other customers and I started laughing. They literally RAN OUT OF GAS!!!

And so it has begun.

2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

That sounds... frictional rather than structural... especially with consumption now being down for the first time in recent memory.

3. Izzy20

Izzy20 New Member

The other day I came out of work to find my gas tank completely open. I have one that beeps when I have my car on if the tank is open. It almost seemed like someone had tried to siphon my gas. Thankfully none was missing or else I would have been upset since I had just filled up my tank.

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I used to keep a siphon in my truck for emergencies, probably still do (though I'd only be siphoning WITH someone's permission. :) ). Definitely time for locking gas caps though, reasonably priced at autozone, etc. Already have one on my bike, but need one for my truck.

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Nope, I went in to get my change (pre-paid with cash) I told the guys at the counter "hey your pumps are not working, the numbers are slowing and then stopping." He said "Yeah, that is the end of our gas, nothing in the tanks." He had the new signs "Out Of Gas" printed, in his hands, and ready to go put them up.

I only got 3/4 a tank.

6. Chris Stratton

Frictional in the sense of localized, temporary problem, vs. there being a persistent, systemic national shortage - which there isn't.

Could also be an example of gaming price-rise regulations. For example, a few weeks back when prices jumped up there were huge lines on the Jersey turnpike, because those stations can only raise prices on a certain day of the week. Smart management would arrange to run out in that situation...

7. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Last week as I was filling up, I observed something I had never seen before: a guy had just finished pumping, and at the end he grabbed the hose and lifted it up above the nozzle and jiggled it so as to squeeze every darn drop out. Dunno if it works, but.... funny.

8. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Mmmm, not a shortage but I saw my first $4 per gallon price tonight. $4.079 at a discount place no less.

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Hrmmm, remind me again why I'm trying to leave a country with gas at $0.90/gallon? :p

10. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

I heard about the raise-the-hose-and-shake thing a while back, when gas was just topping 2.50 a gallon (which we all thought was high). I don't think it works.

Gas here is 3.75 in IL, 3.65 in KY. Luckily there are two stations that serve E-85, which runs 50 cents a gallon cheaper than regular unleaded.

11. Chris Stratton

I think the real question is if prices will stay high enough, long enough, for their to be real improvement in public transit options. At the moment, they seem to be caused by things like speculation and currency valuation rather than actual shortage, which suggests that they currently aren't realistic, but then people predict they are going to continue to go up. Problem is that real public transit improvements take a long time... personally I tend to not believe in anything that runs on tires rather than rails - however if gas prices stay high enough long enough, buses may not get stuck in traffic so much, and it's a lot easier to ramp up bus capacity than rail capacity.

12. Izzy20

Izzy20 New Member

Ya, I'm going to get one. I've also started parking under a light. I work at a mall and leave after after its closed and usually park far away but untill i get my locking cap... I'm parking under the light because I think it was deter people and also there are cameras on the light posts.

13. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I would LOVE to take public transportation to work. Of course, last time I looked, it was going to cost about $5 a day, using 2 different transits (stupid county between me and the city), that I'd have to drive 20 minutes to get to, would take me well over an hour after that, and if I get off work at all late, which happens regularly, I can't get home. I'm now thinking about sleeping in the work parking garage in my car between shifts. Most of the first hour I'm at work each day I'm paying for my commute. Soon it will be the first 2 hours. And let's not even get into mandatory meetings and education on my days off that only last 1 or 2 hours. Those absolutely kill me. I'm hoping if gas prices keep going up, they'll at least figure out how to make those fit into days we're already at work.
    Locking gas caps are probably a good idea in my neighborhood. Might have to hit Auto Zone this week.

14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

heh, yeah, you have to plan things right to use public transportation. WIth last job/house, I had 5 mile drive to train station, and about 10-15 minute walk to office at other end. that worked fine. cost me $1.50/day in parking and $105/mo for train. around $150 all told. New place is two stops farther out, and I think like .3 miles farther to station, so it'll run me around $200/mo, but still way cheaper than driving into city and parking. In both cases though I chose house based on proximity to that train line (which runs the most trains), and chose new job based on it's proximjity to that station. And to my studio, of course. :)

15. Easy

Easy Active Member

Europeans have been paying more for petrol for a long long time.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

In the EU culture, tho, they don't have as far to drive generally as compared with here. Everything is so spread out, and people rarely work close to home.

17. DavidB

DavidB Member

The current price in the UK works out as USD 8.30 per gallon.

Plus in London you have to pay USD 15.50 per day to drive a car during the week, USD 225 per year to park it on the street at home, and USD 10 per hour to park it near work.

18. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

The joys of living in London: I get a monthly travelcard for students (30% off) for £65 and get buses, DLR and tube for zones 1-2. All things considered, it's a pretty sweet deal, since public transport gets you pretty much everywhere and you can easily find your fastest route at the tfl.org.uk site. Don't care much for a car right now; gas prices, congestion fees and downtown whatever fees, maintenance... Definitely too expensive.

T_E

19. tj

tj New Member

It sure seems like a continuous string of bubbles:

Dot.com bubble -> Real Estate bubble -> Commodity bubble

The million dollar question - if/when does the commodity bubble end?

20. tj

tj New Member

I've read/heard that the difference is that they're taxed a lot higher? And that the tax goes towards public transportation?