Dancers Anonymous > The Gas Crunch Has Begun

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Larinda McRaven, May 13, 2008.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Yes, the good ol' days where it only took $9 to fill up my tank! :bandit:

2. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Speaking of the good ol' days, I remember a time when we could put in 50 cents worth of gas and basically joy ride all evening.

3. Laura

Laura New Member

Well, depending on what metric you use, $9 back then is about what some of us pay now. From measuringworth . com:

Current data is only available till 2007. In 2007, $9.00 from 1975 is worth:
    $34.66 using the Consumer Price Index
    $28.34 using the GDP deflator
    $41.21 using the value of consumer bundle *
    $33.80 using the unskilled wage *
    $54.37 using the nominal GDP per capita
    $76.04 using the relative share of GDP

4. tj

tj New Member

The flap thingy on my car isn't locked. So it goes in place of the actual cap for the tank. What appears to happen is that when I lock it, twisting the cap to the left doesn't cause it to unthread. It just turns with nothing happening.

So yes, it's probably defeatable, up to and including punching a hole in the side of the car like wooh mentioned. I'm mostly hoping that a thief will look and see the lock, and decide to try the car next to mine.

:oops: Well color me obvious. I was thinking at the time that I only got one key with the lock, but I've got two. This way I can put one on both my key rings.

5. mamboqueen

hah -- and we weren't remotely embarrassed to pay with rolls of pennies!!

6. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Well, back then a penny was worth something... :wink:

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The key in the lock probably engages something that lets you turn the cap CCW, like engaging the mechanism on a "child-proof" container cap.

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It's as fast as your car will go!

9. mamboqueen

Well, yes, that was my mentality when I was about 19 and had a b*tchin Firebird ...or better, borrowed my boyfriend's Corvette. Yeeesh...sometimes I'm amazed that I survived those years.

10. Me

Me New Member

Rodents of Unsual Size... Peaches we need to get together over drinks someday. I catch too TOO many of these references you make! It would be funny to see if we could have a conversation and nobody else have a clue what we're talking about!

11. Me

Me New Member

Sounds about right. During Katrina when people were stealing gas in my town, they were drilling tanks when there was a lock or an anti-siphoning feature.

12. tj

tj New Member

Yes, that's it.

13. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Not sure what that equates to in US$, but yow! :shock: $45 to fill my Civic a few days ago.

And I'd rather somebody siphon my tank than punch a hole in it.

14. QPO

QPO New Member

well we bought a smaller car and I think the world will end up like Europe where 90% of cars on the road are small. For day to day errands its the only way to go. Public transport our way is pretty awful, but they are working on it.

15. Laura

Laura New Member

That's what everyone said in the 70's during the Arab Oil Embargo, and it didn't take. I don't have much hope for it being a permanent change this time around either, to tell you the truth. Although I've always had small fuel-efficient cars myself.

16. QPO

QPO New Member

You are always going to get people who will never move to the smaller vehicle, but it may be the hip pocket that will push them over the edge!

17. DavidB

DavidB Member

It is now USD 8.75 per gallon in London. That works out as USD 160 to fill up our car this week, and USD 38 to fill up my motorbike!

18. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

Filled up my car a couple of days ago. I drive a 4WD.....costed me $90
    University undergraduate student with a 4WD and a competitive ballroom dancer is financial suicide.

19. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

It's probably going to stick this time, because the worldwide increase in prices are not due to an 'event' (like war or artificially reduced production). Rather, this time it is due to the approach of peak oil . The change will be gradual (and prolonged), but its starting to happen. If you haven't really planned on it, start budgeting for a 100% (or more) increase in gas prices within the next 2-3 years.

Of course, this is *my* analysis/opinion, so feel free to disagree :)

20. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I think it may very well be different this time. An embargo is a strategic move by people, and it can end as easily as it can begin. What we are seeing now is more a result of the rest of the world catching up towards US levels of consumption. Sure, there's various issues on top of that, but there are real causes too. I could see prices dropping somewhat, but not back to what they were. And the automakers seem to agree, having given up on building and selling lots of SUVs/pickups as a profitability strategy, in a non-temporary way.