Dancers Anonymous > The Gift of Dance

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Nov 12, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Something interesting happened to me today. I was in a bad, bad mood. Lots of problems to solve. :cry: :x Then I went to my dance lesson, and for an hour and a half, all my worries disappeared. :D Has that ever happened to you?

Apparently, I'm not alone. Check out this article by Skippy Blair. Pretty cool. 8)

http://swingworld.com/articles/the_gift_of_dance.htm

2. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Hi Jenn,

Most definitely...I had a thread about this a while back. I've gone to dance class in a bad mood, splitting headache, tense, angry and mad at the world....

Then after class, I'm bright, cheerful and singing in my car! One of the reasons I keep going back is I've found dance so theraputic! :)

SG

3. bouncybouncyweee

bouncybouncyweee New Member

Yay endorphines!

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

True enough -- but it really can be much, much more then this as well...

Jenn, I can definitely relate! I can recall any number of times when things were really heavy in my life and dance was exactly the gift I needed...

There were the times I was just stressed, r depressed, or over-worked and harried...

But there were also the times when my Grandmother was gravely ill and then passed away or my friend Michael died in a car accident... being able to go dance was an outlet for my soul...

(*Lily, if I was still in MMW and your TA I’d have to point out that it’s endorphins & not endorphines! :wink: :lol: )

5. bouncybouncyweee

bouncybouncyweee New Member

WELL--

to justify my misspelling, I have a tendency to say en-dor-pheenes 'cause it's funnier that way! (Yay for taking liberties with the english language, even though I just had a conversation with Jonathan and Krysta about how much I hate that.)

6. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

At this point I would like to share a little verse that helped me thru one of the lowest points in my life.

"It's difficult for us to understand why there has to be sadness & uncertainty. Maybe it's because life wants us to take notice of the joy in our lives, or maybe it's life's way of telling us that the heart must experience the pain of heartache before the soul can learn how to dance."

What got me through it all was the fact that I returned to salsa, where it all began. Now I will never look back :D

Viva the gift of dance! :notworth:

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

That's a good quote salsachinita, thanks for sharing...

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks. :cry: :D

9. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Dance is by far the most therapeutic endeavor I've ever undertaken. No matter what kind of day I'm having, when I go to dance (especially belly dance), I forget about everything else and just get lost in the music. It's a moment in time when all is right with my life.

BTW...AWESOME quote!!!

10. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

I can't tell you the amount of times (the experience detailed in my "Ever Had One of Those Nights?" thread notwithstanding) that I have benefitted enormously from a good night on the dance floor! Every single time, I would come out in the greatest mood and just really enjoying life!

11. Dancegal

Dancegal Member

I took 6-count swing lessons shortly after dating a guy who led me on and then "dropped the ball". It really worked wonders! By the end of the year, the same guy (who I found out later hates to dance) tried taking swing lessons (and quit after beg. swing), ending up watching ME dance. I should be thankful I did not end up with him!