Salsa > The Good Salsa Romantica Thread

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by adamjohnson, May 11, 2016.

1. adamjohnson

adamjohnson New Member

I'm not ashamed to say I love Salsa Romantica. It catches alot of flack on this forum.

I believe that Salsa Romantica is just as legitimate a branch of Salsa as any other. I believe its arrival in the 80's was the natural next step after the Fania movement had run out of steam, the casual sex movement had died down, and people were ready for something fresh.

I also find Salsa Romantica very danceable in its own way. (I don't need much to dance, personally. Give me a b-boom-clak from a conga and I'm ready to go). In Colombia, Salsa Romantica is danced very close and pegado, and its not uncommon for a man and woman who barely know each to start kissing on the dancefloor to a good Salsa Romantica.

I want to post some good Salsa Romantica on here.

I'll start it off...

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Actually, it's not a dance" style ", not a 'branch' per se. but simply a musical style. And yes , there are many good "romantica" styled songs/singers .

To realise ; many of those that post on salsa forums, are hard core dura types ,and many do respect the style of music, but, their preference , is their taste but do not mind the occasional song during a social.

In addition, one needs to realise that the lyrics are very meaningful in this style, and often , the appreciation is lost on non speaking Spanish people .

When I DJ, I always include 2/3 songs over the nite .And in some latin clubs, it's very common. Audiences dictate musical styles for dance.

And, romantic style songs pre- date the 80s by many years. The roots lie in Danzon and Son, of which many deem to be "Ballads" "

3. miri

miri New Member

Salsa is the best dance I ever danced