Dancers Anonymous > The House of 1000 Mirrors

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by SDsalsaguy, Sep 14, 2003.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

The House of 1000 Mirrors
    —Japanese Folktale

Long ago in a small, far away village, there was a place known as the house of 1000 Mirrors. A small, happy little dog learned of this place and decided to visit. When he arrived, he bounced happily up the stairs to the doorway of the house. He looked through the doorway with his ears lifted high and his tail wagging as fast as it could. To his great surprise he found himself staring at 1000 other happy little dogs with their tails wagging just as fats as his. He smiled a great smile, and was answered with 1000 great smiles just as warm and friendly. As he left the house, he thought to himself, “This is a wonderful place. I will come back and visit it often.”

In the same village, another little dog, who was not quite as happy as the first one, decided to visit the house. He slowly climbed the stairs and hung his head low as he looked into the door. When he saw 1000 unfriendly looking dogs staring back at him, he growled at them and was horrified to see 1000 little dogs growling back at him. As he left, he thought to himself, “That is a horrible place, and I will never go back there again.”

All the faces in the world are mirrors.

2. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Very moving...I think I need to read that when I'm in a really crabby mood so I can remember I bring the crabbiness right back at myself.

I feel so badly for the second doggy. :cry:

Thanks for sharing the wisdom!

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This is beautiful, and profound.

In my life, I've found that what I brought in the door, is what I received in return. Good or bad.

A beautiful story.

This is the first dance-forums posting I'm printing out to keep.

Thanks. :D

Jenn

4. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Hmmm...that's so very true.

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Somewhat of a different angle, but still about the importance of self-reflection and examination...

"People travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the seas, at the long course of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars, and yet they pass by themselves without wondering."
    —St. Augustine, 354 430

6. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

*mental note to self*: never stop being the first doggy :bouncy: