Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > The Judges of Dancing with the Stars: Tribute

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Fred Astaire NOT!, Dec 3, 2011.

1. I'll start...

Carrie Ann Inaba:

Carrie was a member of The Fly Girls on "In living Color" TV show
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=672Uod0X-1g

Carrie played half a set of twins in Austin Powers movies.
    (Diane Mizota played the other twin.)

She and her twin have rude names, so turn down the sound while watching video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Y1bqQpxvE

Len Goodman:

Is the voice of "The Professor" on the Animated TV show Auto B. Good

Bruno Tonioli:

Dancing in an Elton john music video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-yfTyYGkxM

2. I was hoping to get more videos of these judges dancing when they were in their prime. If you find any of Len Goodman, you are a good researcher.

3. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Len didn't dance for very long, and I heard he danced Exhibition, not even Standard or Latin.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

Len will be judging at Heritage this year...at least I think I heard that

5. Griffico

Griffico Member

6. Lyra

Lyra Active Member

I think that Len danced Standard. He certainly competed at Blackpool and iirc he and his partner won the British Championships sometime in the late 1960s I think. I'd have to look it up to be sure, though. I don't recall ever seeing him dance, it's a little bit before my time (not much, but a little).

7. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

His " forte " was in Latin (notably in early 70s as I recall ) and never reached the higher levels in Prof latin or Standard .

8. Griffico

Griffico Member

What exactly did he win, then? I've always wondered that...

9. tangotime

I believe he was a
    Prof. Champ. in Latin in the late 60s early 70s (I dont think it was at B/pool ).I have a complete list of all the Prof champs from 1960 ( 1st yr it was held ) and the Amat from 1964 ( 1st yr that was held). Hes not listed in either of those comps as a winner.

I was already living/ working in the States, and kinda lost touch with the comp. scene in the U.K. when he was competing.

Theres a vid. somewhere on the net ( or maybe on this forum ? ) of Len dancing in that time period .

10. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

He won the British Championships at Blackpool (not sure what style). Of his own admission, his victory was only because there were a few couples who did not show up. Deciding that he was unlikely to ever replicate that feat, he retired from competition on top.

11. tangotime

What yr ?

12. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Not sure, but my guess would be late 60's early 70's. His DWtS bio just says in his late 20's. It also says that he opened his studio (which happened after his retirement) in the 70's.

13. tangotime

I have a documented list of ALL B/Pool and world champions listed since the inception of latin championships ( there were no official prof. champs before the 1960 Worlds, but he was only 16 then ! ) The " British" was first held in 1964 when the list is first documented .

In his late 20s would have been 28 in 1972, when John and Betty Westley won the British, and 73/74 was won by the Fischers .

The only other explanation I can think of is ,the "United Kingdom" which I believe was a separate comp at that time, and as I recall, was held at the Hammersmith Palais .

14. Griffico

Griffico Member

I haven't found any indications of his latin dancing, but in this video he mentions that he specialized in show dancing with lifts and the like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXybYezR4gY

15. tangotime

Ahhh.. now we have a different tack.. He did however, compete in Latin.

The cabaret style was never really recognised in the same manner as the B.R . Kinda ironic, since there were several champs ( Smith-Hampshire for one ) who were also noted for their prowess in show type dances.. V.W. and Lens Charleston for e.g.

A lot of these routines were devised for a"victory" dance at the Palais for the champions of the time .

16. ajiboyet

There's a video on Youtube where Len talks about this, when he's talking about his new book...trying to find it...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXybYezR4gY

17. tangotime

There is a vid on the net of him dancing Latin

18. ajiboyet

Do you have a link to it?

19. tangotime

Unfortunately, no . I think it came about on the forum about a yr ago . Someone must have posted it.. maybe they might read this , and direct .

20. Griffico

Griffico Member

Do you remember anything specific about in what context the video was brought up? I'm trying to figure out some key words that I might use to narrow the search. Len's name comes up rather a lot!