Tango Argentino > Videos > The little girl is a TANGUERA!!!!

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Ampster, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

What do think? :notworth: Silvio Lavia and his daughter Estrella dancing at Club Gricel, Buenos Aires

"Mala Junta"
    [YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h-QF8OWz4zg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h-QF8OWz4zg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

"Cafe Dominguez"
    [YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H5-L1FWFO5Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H5-L1FWFO5Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

2. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

... Been watching this all morning and I can't help but be amazed how good this girl is at her age. I think she'd be great when she grows up! I'd probably be intimidated. By then, I'll be an old geaser.

3. bastet

bastet Active Member

she's super cute! and dancing since she could toddle...I wouldn't have any doubt of her growin gup to be fabulous.

I guess that's one way to not ever have stage fright...grow up performing.

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wow. makes me so happy to see... :)

5. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

Weeeeny volcadas! Bravo to both of them for carrying that off.

Curiously I find this kind of thing slightly disturbing. It gives me the same sort of feeling I get from reading about kiddie beauty pageants. A sort of falsehood around doing something adult without understanding.

I guess the dance is only what you make of it, and I like to make more of it, with chemistry and personality, and that's why this seems a bit peculiar to me.

6. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

My LW and I have had a similar reaction to some of preteen Latin dancers we've seen in ballroom competitions. Weird, at least, to see the young kids moving in ways that could easily be interpreted as "sexy" if performed by adults.

I look at it this way, however -- you have to learn the movements early if you want to be a top champion later -- and the prepubescent dancers probably just consider it movement for its own sake. We're the ones who ascribe interpretations (good or bad) to the movement.

7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I can understand what you mean. But, personally, I didn't see anything disturbing. There was nothing overtly sexy about it, IMO. To my mind, it wasn't even in the same category of little kids dancing Latin, which does disturb me (even though I understand the movement aspect of it). She was dressed like a child, not dolled up in some sexy, slit-to-the-hip costume. It looked like she was wearing Mary Janes and ankle socks. And there wasn't really any chemistry about it, to my eyes. It just looked like a little girl dancing with her father, which was adorable. (Speaking as someone who didn't dance with her dad at her wedding, I miss that.) I guess, to my mind, she's too young for sexuality to even enter the picture...and it didn't look like they were trying to inject it somewhere.

Edit to add: I think it would be more disturbing to me had she been dancing with another child her age. Don't know why, but it would have. The fact that she's dancing with her father makes it very chaste to me.

Also, good luck keeping her from doing it if she wants to. (And some kids just love to perform. My cousin was like that--loved to have an audience, and would get up and sing and dance given half a chance.) If she's grown up so far watching mommy and daddy dance tango, she probably just wants to join in and do "grown up things," and never gives it more thought than that. Quite possibly the same for performing. It would seem to me, that keeping her from doing it for the reasons you've mentioned, could quite possibly turn it into a bigger issue. She probably doesn't see anything sexual in it, and wouldn't understand what the objection would be...until you show her the sexual part of it and make it something dirty. ...in which case it would seem that you'd then have the issue explaining why it's ok for mom and dad and others, but not her... Seems it would be better to let it go, not make a big issue out of it, and she'll come to understand the deeper aspects all in good time.

...don't you love how I can potificate about kids, despite the fact that I have none! :D

8. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

You're right Peaches, with the right prevailing attitudes and wise parenting, there is no problem.

This ties in with a few times I've seen 14-16-year-olds at milongas, and the present fear-mongering society whereby photographing children at play can lead to Police enquiry.

Like all aspects of tango, it's a concentration of real world challenges in much tighter and more obvious confines...

9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

See, and I've gotten to watch my teacher dance with a 13-year old with some regularity, as well as with his step-daughter (16-ish), so I guess I've gotten kind of used to the sight.

But you're right, there is something sad about things today (OK, now I feel old...back in my day!...) that just about any interaction between an adult and a child is considered wrong. I had an interesting conversation about that while stuck in the Bs.As. airport...some guy there with his family who just loved kids (in a completely innocent sort of way) and was very saddened that he felt he couldn't say hi without raising questions, or would think twice about comforting a child who'd fallen/hurt themselves. It's sad...

And, the flip side of the coin (sort of), it's sad that any sort of sexuality/sensuality is considered "dirty," or shameful, and that innocent physical interaction between people of the opposite sex (such as with close embrace) is something odd or uncomfortable.

OK...I'll stop rambling completely off topic and pontificating now. Don't know where that rant came from... Sorry, all.

10. UnfamiliarSameness

UnfamiliarSameness New Member

I absolutely love those videos - hadn't came across the first one before. She is amazing!

Maybe it's my own weird quirk but I don't find tango an inherently sexy dance at all... sure it can express that but for me none of the movements are that "saucy" and it's much more about communication or even meditation on a very good night. (With latin BR dancing the "uncomfortableness" might also have a bit to do with the whole package - fake tan, make up, big smiles, dresses etc.....)

I'm guessing that in Argentina, where dancing tango is rooted in the culture, it's much more of a family affair ... There's a fab clip on youtube of Antonio Todaro dancing with his wee daughter and it just reminds me of family get togethers when I was young.

11. Taniquel

Taniquel New Member

I agree with Peaches, what I like the most about these is that the little girl still looks like a little girl. I don't get the feeling that they are trying to make her act like an adult or, for that matter, dance the way an adult would. She's just dancing, like a child would be dancing, dressed like a child, etc.

Personaly, what I find truly disturbing is when I see children look and act like adults (especially when I know they were taught/told to act that way!).

12. UnfamiliarSameness

UnfamiliarSameness New Member

I agree.

There's also a fab video on youtube of Antonio Todaro dancing with his young daughter. Has anyone seen it? It reminds me so much of family parties when I was a kid...at some point everyone would get up and "do a turn" ....obviously their party peice is FAR superior to my cousins strummed rendition of "Mull of Kintyre". LOL

13. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

In Saura's film 'Tango' I recall there was a tango school for children in Bs As.

14. mshedgehog

mshedgehog New Member

Here is a lovely video of several fathers and (adult) daughters dancing together. I go along with Oscar in seeing it as a dance of love in a broad sense, not necessarily expressing sexuality.

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uhGTTV8ps8I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uhGTTV8ps8I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

15. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

That is a very beautiful thing :cool:

16. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Something else that I found very interesting in this vid...there are 4 couples and 3 different embraces/styles. Another example of why I tend to get annoyed with amers who get all caught up in closed vs open vs VU style vs ??? , and then use as the basis for their argument, "Well, in BsAs...."

17. mshedgehog

mshedgehog New Member

This is a very good point and deserves to be repeated often. I hadn't noticed, because I don't naturally think like that and don't pay much attention to these details unless there's something that looks uncomfortable or ostentatious. But it's true, that's very interesting.

18. agua bendita

agua bendita New Member

"Tanguera" The Tango Musical will play a special U.S. engagement at New York City Center, 131 West 55 Street (bet. 7 & 6 Aves). The new book musical will open on Tuesday, October 12, 2009 at 7:30 pm. Michael Brenner for BB Promotion GmbH and Paul Szilard Productions, Inc. under the patronage of Daniel Barenboim a production of Diego Romay are presenting the international hit musical. "Tanguera" The Tango Musical has a book by Diego Romay & Dolores Espeja; and lyrics by Eladia Blazques. The musical direction and arrangements are by Gerardo Gardelin and the tango arrangements are by Lisandro Adrover. Set design is by Valeria Ambrosio, with costume design by Cecilia Monti and lighting design by Ariel Del Mastro. The choreographer is Mora Godoy and the director is Omar Pacheco. "Tanguera" The Tango Musical is a Diego Romay Company Production.

"Tanguera" The Tango Musical, as described by international critics is a story of love and passion. It is a provocative, sensual and visually entrancing production. "Tanguera" tells a story of unrequited love in turn-of-the-20th-century Buenos Aires through a unique combination of song, music, and dance In this erotic and sensual musical, a young French girl, deceived by a prostitution ring arrives in Argentina at the Port of Buenos Aires, and meets the dockworker Lorenzo, an idealist and dreamer. Life transforms them. She becomes a cabaret star and he must decide to face destiny and conquer his love.

"Tanguera" opened on January 8, 2002 at the El Nacional de Buenos Aires Theatre, where the most successful musicals in Argentina have been presented. With more than thirty actors on stage, "Tanguera" reached an audience of over 220,000 people and became the musical most widely acclaimed by critics and industry. It received five awards from the Asociación de Cronistas del Espectaculo de la Argentina (Association of Argentine.

19. jacquelin

jacquelin New Member

How to dance at a middle school dance?I don't mean dancing to a slow song but at a middle school dance where they are playing pop and stuff like that how do I dance. Everyone seems to be so good at it and when I try to dance it feels like im just jumping around (which I guess is part of it) but I still feel stupid trying to dance when everyone else seems like professionals. Any tips?