Swing Discussion Boards > The Madison

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by LindyQuest, Mar 14, 2004.

1. LindyQuest

LindyQuest New Member

On Friday my dance instructor announced that next week she would be teaching the Madison. Everyone seemed excited about this announcement, but I've never heard of it. What is this dance :?:

2. Bronzestudent

Bronzestudent New Member

Surely she's not talking about the "Billy Madison Dance!!"

More likely, she's referring to the "Madison" Swing dance. I Googled, being interested in it myself, and I must admit that it took a bit of digging on the net, but I came across this site:

http://www.savoycentral.org/classoverview.html

which says,

"Madison Time - The Madison is an amusing line dance that originated in the late 1950's. According to Lance Benishek (dance historian), "The Madison probably started in Chicago, although it may have been Detroit or Cleveland. The Baltimore Colts learned it in Cleveland and brought it to Baltimore in 1959". It is danced to the Ray Bryant tune, The Madison Time, with calls for the particular dance sequences provided by Eddie Morrison. Eddie was a Baltimore disc jockey who started calling the steps live on the air. Based on a six count chorus step, The Madison contains several dance sequences which make playful references to the big stars of that time period. The Dance resurfaced in 1988 in the John waters film "Hairspray". According to Ryan Francois, there is also a Madison partner dance that is still danced today in England."

So, it appears to be a Swing type Line Dance.

Surely there's somebody else here that knows more about it from personal experience. I'm like you, never danced it, and never heard of it until now. Have fun though!

3. funkyfreak

funkyfreak New Member

I'd tell you more, but that description just about wraps it up. ;)

It's a line dance at a nice, easy pace, with some amusing actions such as shooting a basketball, walking an 'M', or a few other such things. Very simple and quick to pick up. It's popularity is larger in the UK, it's mostly forgotten in the U.S. except for some small pockets -- we do it in Pittsbugh, but you'd have to go far from here to find another scene who can pull it off.

-FF

4. LindyQuest

LindyQuest New Member

Thanks for the info, guys!

It's a beginning class, so I was guessing that the dance wouldn't be too hard, so that's good. :D

Anyhow, I guess I'll find out for myself on Friday!

5. d nice

d nice New Member

I love the Madison... though I'm about the only one in my scene that "knows" it... of course its been so long that I can't remember all the steps properly.

Hey ff, you going to the DCLX? Maybe you can help me refresh my memory. I'm going to be in Harrisburg after that chillin' until a workshop the next weekend. How far is that from were you live?

6. funkyfreak

funkyfreak New Member

Definately gonna be at DCLX. You hangin with Jen & Marty in H-burg? It's about 3 or so hours away from Pittsburgh, but Jen keeps bugging us to visit them again, I might see about heading out that way too.

-FF

7. lily

lily Member

The Madison is danced quite a lot here in Paris where many dancers know at least one of the main variations. When I went dancing last time in England, I found out that over there they are called 'strolls' or 'strollers' or something like that. They can be fun as they are quick and easy to learn and everyone can join in. But, in my opinion, they can't compare to dancing with a partner :D

8. luvthatlindy

luvthatlindy New Member

Delurking....You can also see the Madison in the movie Hairspray.

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:lol: Love that turn of phrase luvthatlindy... and welcome to the Forums! :D

10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Glad that you have stopped delurking "luvthatlindy"!! Welcome to the group of active df posters!!

11. luvthatlindy

luvthatlindy New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! I guess I have to keep posting...

12. d nice

d nice New Member

Thats the rule. Where in SoCal do you live?

13. luvthatlindy

luvthatlindy New Member

Inglewood. And you? And what are you doing up this late?!

I used to know the Madison. I just need a brush up.

14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi luvthatlindy. Welcome. Good to see you delurking. :wink: :D

15. LindyQuest

LindyQuest New Member

Hi there, luvthatlindy! Welcome to the forums! :bouncy:

16. d nice

d nice New Member

I'm a founding member of Isomniacs-R-Us here on Dance-Forums.

I live in Sacramento.

17. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Welcome Luvthatlindy! great to have another lindy hopper aboard :D

18. luvthatlindy

luvthatlindy New Member

Hey everybody! I've been reading for a while, so i feel like I already know you.

Will I get in trouble for not sticking to the topic...

19. LindyQuest

LindyQuest New Member

Well, I thought the Madison lesson was fun - it's definitely a dance that doesn't take itself too seriously - you can really have fun with it (especially the "act like a bird" part :D ). There were only about six or seven of us at the class, though, so that means they probably won't play it too often so I won't get a chance to practice it much, but oh well, it was fun anyhow!

20. d nice

d nice New Member

Madison Time is actually a fun song to just lindy to. Hopefully the dj's will play it and those who know the madison can do it, and everyone else can lindy to it.

luvthatlindy- natural topic drift is fine. No trouble, if it gets to bad we'll just start a new thread.