Swing Discussion Boards > The Madison

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by LindyQuest, Mar 14, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Topic drift happens. luvthat lindy. And either somet=one pulls folks back onto the appropriagte subject ... or not. :lol: It's not a big deal, either way. :wink:

2. bgirlswinger

bgirlswinger New Member

i always take my video camera to exchanges so that if people do soemthing liek the madiosn- thati have never seen- i will be able to learn it and then teah it to other people so we will all knwo the dance. When Iwas at SOFLEX- idid the shim sham instead of tappign it and people were upset with me. lol
    i would like to see/ learn the madison. Ialso enjoy swing the big apple, shim sham and jitterbug stroll.

-amber d.

3. LindyQuest

LindyQuest New Member

That's a good idea - I'll have to try that sometime!

I watch everyone do the shim sham and jitterbug stroll each week, but I haven't been able to do them myself yet. I try to follow, but I think I'll just have to wait until I've actually learned how they go before I try dancing to them.

4. bgirlswinger

bgirlswinger New Member

okay this past weekend i did the big apple for the first time. I have seen it a total of 2 times before and they did it twice at atlx- atlanda lindy exchange. the first time they did it i watched and i thought that's cool. but they did it again and i said it was a sign.. and i just did it. i basicly followed the guy beside me. I knew all of the moves,. i just didn't know the order of them. It was so cool.
    [/img]

5. pygmalion

Sounds like a cool experience. I think there's a thread about that dance somewhere in the swing forum. Hmm. will search, bgirlswinger.

6. bgirlswinger

bgirlswinger New Member

not necessary,. .btu thanks

7. petitetonya

petitetonya New Member

sorry to sound like a cynic, but I can't stand the Madison. That line dance has always annoyed me for some reason...I think it is because of the whole "3 points" line or whatever it says. To me it seems more like a line dance you would teach at an elementary school dance class. Sorry, had to get that off my chest :wink: I feel better now.

I really like Al & Leon's Shim Sham, Dean Collin's Shim Sham, The Big Apple, Trankey Doo. Those are awesome and really help improve your dancing.

8. pygmalion

Trankey doo? Huh?

9. d nice

d nice New Member

Tonya is just mad because I can "birdland" better than her. 8)

10. petitetonya

petitetonya New Member

hee hee

no, Tonya is just mad because she doesn't know what the heck you are talking about. I thought Birdland was a song!?

Damon, come to seattle for CJ...you will meet lots of hot chicks.
    t

11. d nice

d nice New Member

Birdland is one of the moves in the Madison...

I can't do CJ I'm teaching and judging at the Eastern Canadian Swing Championships. Just out side of Montreal... and there will be lots of hot chicks there too. I don't know if any of them will talk to me but a fella can dream. ;)

12. petitetonya

petitetonya New Member

Aren't the ECSC the weekend BEFORE CJ?

13. d nice

d nice New Member

Maybe... ECSC is memorial weekend. When is Camp Jitterbug? Are you going to play the Madison? ;)

14. petitetonya

petitetonya New Member

ECSC is on May 21-24, I just checked the webpage.

CJ is on Memorial Day weekend which is May 28th-31st

The Madison is the theme song of CJ.

15. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

I have this cd... The Madison Time with a Hollywood Jazz Beat. Yep, there's lots of lindy-able time on this cd. I also want that Big Twist one with Mo-lasses on it. So, if I rent or buy the movie, Hairspray, will I see how to do the Madison?

16. LindyQuest

LindyQuest New Member

If I remember correctly, when my instructor was teaching us, she said what we learned was a bit different from what was shown in the movie. The more difficult moves, including one called the Cleveland Box, were eliminated from the movie. Otherwise, I think she said it was pretty much the same. Altogether, it's a pretty easy dance; they taught us in one session in my beginning class. :D

I like the music - I may have to go buy that CD you mentioned...

17. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Never heard of the Madison myself until my friend Alex introduced me to The Rocky Horror Picture Show! :D :lol: :D Greatest. Movie. Ever.! *grins* Of course, then there's the callout line when you go to the Midnight showings:

(After the Time Warp)
    Viewers: Say something stupid so we can get up, @$$hole (<--Referring to Brad)!!
    Brad: Say, does anyone here know how to Madison?

Heh, heh... :oops: Sorry 'bout the cursing, but we Midnight Matinee-ers are a rowdy crowd! :wink:

But I'm sure the Madison is a really nice dance; it sounds fun, so I'll make sure I try it at *least* once.

And to join the Chorus, welcome to DF luvthatlindy! And yes, you must come post more! :D You will grow to love it... And then you will no longer be able to stop... :wink: 8)

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

18. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

Yeah I rented the movie today. They did chop big chunks of it out :( I don't even see anyone doing bird imitations in this. But, I did find this! -> http://www.barrett.demon.co.uk/fridayfolk/madi10.htm

The Hollywood Jazz Beat CD has versions of the songs with and without the Madison calls. So, you don't feel like you're breaking the rules by doing Lindy Hop to those cool tunes.

I clocked the whole cd today. It's amazing that this range of tempos is covered on one cd. 139 bpm to 360 bpm!

There are 21 songs with 6 being not applicable to swing dancing. So, that's 15 catchy lindy hop candidates. Of the swinging songs, only two are 360 bpm, and one of those drops to 170 bpm. Two are 215 bpm. The remaining 11 are in that most useful 139 to 188 bpm range.

If you want Mo-lasses, it's on two of Ray Bryant's cd's. I plan to buy the longer playing, higher priced one. The one that costs more has 5 more swingable songs on it than the cheaper one. I'm probably not remembering right about the difference of 5. I'll go listen to the clips at cduniverse.com & refresh my memory in a little while.

19. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

So is "The Madison" part of Madison Time done facing forward as it is done in Hairspray, or is it done with the left side facing the line's forward like in Swingbrain's instructional CD? I found this CD here: http://swingdanceshop.com/swlidarecd.html . The Madison 6-count is shown in the clip, "View samples of each dance".

20. d nice

d nice New Member

They are both right...

The dance faces a "forward" position, but the "basic" or "anchor" step is sort of a sideways twisting move. When I do the step my bodyfaces forward really only on the first touch forward, the rest of the time its mostly twisting from a 45 to 90 degrees to the right (remember to reverse the direction that is shown in the video).