Tango Argentino > The merit of learning to lead and follow

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Mar 22, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

This question isn't confined solely to Argentine Tango, but I'll ask it in that context because AT isn't so codified and is, to me at least, far more improvisational than most other dance styles.

How many of the gentlemen here have learned the lady's part and vice versa?

What has that done for your dancing? I personally have learned the male part in salsa, merengue and cha cha and am learning in AT, and I find I'm a much better follower when I understand the lead, but it might just be the way my mind works.

Has anyone else had similar experience? What has it done for your dancing and your regular role as either a leader or follower?

2. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

- increased empathy for followers subjected to unclear and/or brutally forceful leads compels me to gauge the lightest level of force required for each individual partner yet remain clear in communicating my intent;
    - as a leader, understanding the mechanics (and potential dificulties) of the followers footwork reinforces my overall goals as a leader as well helps me better understand what my partner might need most from me as a partner in performing specific figures;

3. jon

jon Member

I've learned a bit of following in WCS and even less in a couple of Latin ballroom dances. In terms of the effect on my leading, it's helped me concentrate more on connection, space awareness/navigation, and leading clearly, but gently.

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I have done some following and I agree it gives a better understanding of what your partner is doing. I have followed both men and women as leaders and its a useful experience especially when the leader doesn't change level -s o- 0 smooth I had to look round the room to stop feeling dizzy. (This was a woman)
    I also follow when I teach - allows me to know what the man is doing right or wrong and correct.

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Done a little following in ECS and salsa...very little. It has helped me taech them to those who don't know how to dance these, and has helped make me a better leader for all the reasons alreday mentioned by previous posters.