Tango Argentino > The most important characteristic in AT

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by JTh, Dec 3, 2016.

1. JTh

JTh Member

What do you think is the most important characteristic for a great AT dance?
    Eg connection, footwork, physical strength, etc...

My vote goes for connection. a deep connection is much harder to attain than some of the others, and goes further for the enjoyment by both parties.

dchester likes this.
  2. Reuven Thetanguero

Reuven Thetanguero Active Member

It's hard to single one. In my view it's the embrace, the musicality, the walk and good dancing chemistry with your partner.

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

But that´s merely seen from the insight point of view. Watching dancers on the dance floor something else counts for me, especially cadencia, sabor, musicality.

sixela, JTh and Lilly_of_the_valley like this.
  4. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Most important characteristics of Argentine Tango are that the partners dance embraced and to a specific music.

5. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

Personality

6. rain_dog

rain_dog Active Member

Ganchos. Lots and lots of ganchos. Oh, and big complicated volcada sequences. If you can do both at the same time, even better.*

* May not reflect actual opinion of thread participant.

sixela, JTh and Mladenac like this.
  7. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

For a stage show, I tend to agree. :)

8. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

Having what you think you're doing match what you're actually doing.

Angel HI likes this.
  9. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Bonus points for doing a deep volcada into a gancho while doing a boleo with the other leg. ;)

sixela and JTh like this.
  10. tangoaroundtown

tangoaroundtown New Member

Hey JTh, great question. May I ask one of you? What do you mean by deep connection?

11. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

I wish I knew. Never had a dance that I might have considered great.

sixela and Angel HI like this.
  12. JTh

JTh Member

A deep connection is when both the leader and follower have that chemistry.. they don't say anything...just lost in eachothers arms and transported to anoyher place... lost in eachother guided by the music.
    Needless to say....it's highly enjoyable for both.

13. JTh

JTh Member

Gee.. that's too bad.
    A great dance is quite the experience.

Angel HI and dchester like this.
  14. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

@JTh You have been here long enough that you have to know that @rain_dog 's post and @newbie 's post are satirical. Of course, newbie's post has a hidden profundity to it (as most of his do). My answer to your question......

The most important characteristic to executing a good AT is 2 fold and in this order; 1- learning to dance (walk) not from foot to foot, but from middle to middle, and 2- a comfortable and centered embrace.

The most important characteristic to dancing a good AT is being into an easy, comfortable, and enjoyable connection with your partner, the movement, and the music regardless of whether you are dancing just a walk or a complicated fantasia.

Sunsetdancer likes this.
  15. JTh

JTh Member

Ok..I didn't know the personalities of the forum members posts...I don't check this forum often and dont read many posts to make that determination... :) will try and change that.

Angel HI likes this.
  16. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

LOL! rain_dog

17. Tango Distance

Tango Distance Active Member

For me it is if the lady is happy. This can start well before the actual dance, for instance with the lady that says "Are you going to ask me tonight?" or even weeks before with "Are you going to ask me next milonga?"

I've had dances that were technically terrible, mistakes everywhere, but both parties were laughing and having a great time.

Sunsetdancer likes this.
  18. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Not all "great AT dances" are alike.

It's like asking what the most important characteristic of a piece of music is, and it's _very_ different when listening to Bach, a Schumann lied, Nick Cave, Portishead or Radiohead.

Not everything that's important can be measured or even described.

Sunsetdancer likes this.