Dancers Anonymous > the perils of sharing the roadways with cyclists, etc....

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by RiseNFall, May 17, 2016.

1. My big life goal is to be able to live without a car (though I adore my little go kart of a car) and be able to walk, bike, or use public transportation for everything. But I won't/can't do it for the foreseeable future with two horses that I want to be close to. Once the older dude passes on the the pastures in the sky, I will probably move into town and be able to at least SOMEWHAT use my bike and feet for more transportation, but until he goes, I am staying where I am.

I live in a rural area that is popular with cyclists, but the cyclists are aggressively hated by the locals. I actually have stopped riding on the roads around here, unless in a group with good cyclists, because of some rather terrifying comments made on local Facebook pages. I stick to the local rail-to-trails (which have their own set of perils!). I shake my head at the jerks on bikes, but I'm still ferociously protective of them (considering both my siblings are also cyclists, not to mention many of my most favorite people). I hate that they give the good cyclists a bad name, but they still don't deserve to be road kill.

RiseNFall likes this.
  2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Hmmm, interesting.
    Having just returned from our CA, NV, ID, OR, WA, B.C. Canada road trip,
    I have to say, ID was the only state where we had to truly keep our wits about us as the small town roadways put us into the opposite lane of traffic and farm/ranch equipment coming at us. Mind you, even at the local 20mph speeds, this was still requiring an eagle eye because the cyclists would have to end up in the road ditches if they moved any further right.
    The other states, for the most part, had bike lanes, be it a solo road trip bike person or a group, we had no issues. Now, that said, going through the tunnels of the mountains, we as drivers appreciated the riders who used the flashing lights so we knew where they were in the lane. Here? Not so much, it seems in our region, the riders lose their minds and believe the cars will actually respect them. Lastly, at least, and this may be selfish, I have never had to honk, back off or pass a rider because they were holding a phone device while talking, texting, if only I could have taken videos of the car driver idiots that we experienced doing this on this trip. I'll take a bike rider any day.

3. stash

stash Well-Known Member

So just for the heck of it I kept track of the bikers I saw today. I saw 4 while I was out on the road and only one owed traffic laws. 2 did not stop at stop signs, and one of those blew through 3 in a row. The last one was cycling on the wrong side of the road, drifting into the on coming traffic's lane. While there maybe good bikers around here, the majority aren't, and feel like they own the road and are above traffic laws.

4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Ha, Stash, here the bike riders have to ride against traffic flow not with it.

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Standard AASHTO width for a road lane is 12' (not including any shy lines). There can be exceptions for extremely urban areas where space is tight, or where they want to keep speeds down, but typically 10' is the bare minimum.

6. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

I have seen too many people injured and killed riding a bicycle to work. Debates will not save your life. Living a quarter mile from a great bike path/canal tow path, I would still place my bile on a rack and drive there.

7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

My hometown has a single road, a small two-lane on an extremely popular, scenic, designated bike route along the Hudson River. Bicyclists plague this road for 7-8 months a year. Traffic regulations mean nothing to them. Stop signs? You must be joking. Traffic lights? It is to laugh. Courtesy? Hah!

My town, and the ones to the north and south of me, have laws on books that bicycles must ride single file, and signage saying so (with $250 fine!) at intervals along the road. What do I get? Clusterf***s of bikes, all day, all weekend, for months on end. Occasionally, the local police will pull over a group and fine them all, but apparently, that doesn't change bikeist behavior.

ARRRRRRGH <buttons pushed>

stash likes this.
  8. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

I am regular bike commuter. Riding 10 miles one way 3-5 times a week.

As far as riding as far right as practical (the law in most states). That's the cyclist judgment call. If you feel they are too far left, I recommend you experience it then pass judgement. Gutter pans, debris, collected silt, grate and man
    Hole covers all impact the practicality of riding to right. The best spot in the road is often the right tire track of motor vehicles.

As a practical matter it often best to ride far enough left to force motor vehicle drivers to "think" about what they need to do to get by me. If I give enough space that no adjustments are needed then I get treated like an inanimate object and set myself up for the close pass (illegal in my state but completely un-enforced).

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    Larinda McRaven likes this.
  9. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

9W? I used to live there. What is really sad is that most of 9W is wide enough, with a the right-side edge in terrific condition, that there is no reason for the cyclists to impact the drivers if they would ride single file. Cycling nirvana, particularly compared to where I live now. (Needless to say, we rode single file and obeyed traffic signals....)

This whole thread is depressing, from both sides!

10. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Not 9W. River Road, or Piermont Avenue, if you're in Piermont. Down on the water. 9W is up the hill.

11. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

So the law here is that the cyclist must ride within three feet of the curb or white line while being passed, and the motorist must in turn give the bike three feet of clearance while passing. They've been putting up road signs to remind people of this. The main bad behavior I see from cyclists around here is blowing stop signs and red lights. I saw one almost get hit the other day at a busy intersection. He blew through a red light while traffic from the left was turning left. He assumed that the left turning cars would turn to the left lane and leave him the right lane. He failed to realize that the crossing road had two left turn lanes. He popped out from behind a line of traffic into the intersection, and a car turning left had to get into his antilock brakes (I heard it) to keep from hitting him.

We live in a neighborhood at the top of a steep and curvy mountain road. In many places it has no shoulder, and there are steep drop-offs. There was a competitive cyclist that was riding up the road for training, and he kept doing it during afternoon rush hour when people returning home were driving up. Once I saw him stopped at the top and he appeared to be in distress, so I stopped to make sure he was all right. He was just winded, but we got to talking about riding the mountain road. He admitted that it was dangerous and that he was going to start doing his training runs during a time of day when there is less traffic. I haven't seen him lately, so evidently he did.

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Bike paths are big downtown now...and completely confusing motorists...and causing a lot of congestion and gridlock...big article in yesterday's paper about it...my route to and from work avoids the issue for the most part...if I come downtown on the weekend, it's still the same route...because I'm not paying for parking so I park in my space in the parking garage...already paid for

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yesterday morning I was making a right turn and a stupid cyclist blew the stop sign that was on the trail that paralleled the roadway, specifically there so bikes and peds would stop while cars were turning right. I had to hold up while he crossed. I gave him some music with the horn and he cursed me out. I told him he should...uh...develop an oedipal complex.

nikkitta, Purr and stash like this.
  14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

So, I am driving to work this morning downtown. A cyclist is ahead of me, not on a street with a designated bike lane, and the cyclist is straddling two lanes. I'm not kidding, the cyclist is weaving around the stripes separating the lanes. I can't figure out what lane the cyclist thinks he's supposed to be in, and he's going really slow. I'm like, ok, let's be tolerant here, so I slow down because I know the light coming up is going to change to red. The light changes to red before the cyclist comes to the intersection. The cyclist doesn't even hardly slow down, and then blows right through the intersection. Are you kidding me? If there had been a cop around the cyclist should have gotten a ticket.

stash likes this.
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Or a T-bone.

Purr and stash like this.