The teaching update

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Mitra, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Mitra

Mitra New Member

Ok, as a request from some of the other DFers, I am giving a weekly update of how my current training is going for Fred Astaire Dance Studio to become an instructor. I find that it might be easier just to construct a new thread since some people wouldn't really like reading through all teh stuff for the other one, so yeah ^_^

End of Week 3 almost

Ok, this update is a little early, but only because I am a bit hyper and nervous about tomorrow. It will be our first test, we are testing out of the beginner material and moving onto the Social Foundation level. Everyone is very sure that I will pass easily, but I still get jitters over it.

I am now certain that many people think I will get the job, including fellow trainees. Already a few of them have approached me after class and while we are training on our own, mentioning the fact that I already do walk to everyone during class and watch them perform the move, help them with it and to perfect it. So pretty much I am acting like an instructor already, just not given the title.

At times I find that while dancing with beginners for so long, I tend to get horrible at following with a better dancer, like my old instructor, so at times he will take me during the class when its an odd number of students and I am not paired and dance with me a while doing stuff I already know but has not yet been taught, just to keep me in the swing of it.

I will probably give another update tomorrow as to how the test went, but for now I must go and train some more so I can be my best at the solo test because I am sure the freestyle will go well. Adieu everyone!

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

thanks for the update and good luck with the test!

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Ditto. :)

4. Medira

Medira New Member

Best of luck! :D

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Good luck with the exam. Check in and let us know how it goes. What's involved? Demonstrating school figures for both parts (solo?) Leading and/or following another instructor? Any written theory exam?

Just curious.

I hope it's going well. 8) :D

6. Mitra

Mitra New Member

Yoo!

Test was today of course, went quite well I think although there were a few rough spots. The test consisted of two portions, a solo portion where we all line up together and must do the requested move without a partner, one person counts the beats out. the second part is the freestyle portion, pretty much grab a partner and do the requested dance style, must use all the beginner moves we have learned so far. I got about an 80% on the solo portion, I am not a fan of solo, and about an 85% on the freestyle, so averaging at about 84% I received a high B for my grading ^_^ So happy its over with. I would have done better on freestyle, but the people I was partnered with for dancin didn't seem to catch my signals, even though I was practically jabbing them in the shoulderblade >< I think they were just too nervous though because normally it isn't that bad. Otherwise, it all went well, I passed, and the instructors were pleased with my expressive manner in dancing. Yay!

And thanks goes to everyone for your good lucks, means a lot to me ^_^ *hugs Sagitta, pygmalion, Larinda, and Medira*

7. pygmalion

Glad it went well! :D :banana:

One of my former teachers said that, when learning the solo parts/school figures, he tried to visualize his partner at all times -- helped him create the proper alignments, etc, more easily.

Yay! Keep us posted. :D

8. mr bixx

mr bixx Member

good job. to bad i wasnt there to see you guys take your test. i've been gone from the studio all week. can you guess who i am?

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

A challenge!! A good challenge! :)

10. Medira

Medira New Member

Congratulations! *hugshugs* I'm glad it went so well! :D Now you'll also know for next time what to expect going into it. The first one is always the hardest.

Keep it up!

11. pygmalion

So what's next on the teacher training agenda?

12. GalacticDancer44M

GalacticDancer44M New Member

Congratulations

Congratulations Mitra! Pretty exciting stuff. It's interesting to hear how things progress. Keep up the great work.

13. Mitra

Mitra New Member

mr. bixx......hm....weren't you the same guy that mentioned on the boards you had a nasty cold before going to vegas? if so, then i am fairly sure i know who you are ^_^ Although the real challenge is, can you guess who i am? Probably fairly easy though judging by my previous discussions, lol

14. pygmalion

That must be a pretty big training class. :roll: :wink:

15. Mitra

Mitra New Member

Oh, hardly, only about 10 people now in the class, but mr bixx already knows who I am and I know who he is, funny little moment in dance class today involving that, had me laughing the rest of the day ^_^

But thank you everyone, I really hope this works out in the end, right now we are moving on again, although there is a written test coming up this Friday. Not sure how I will do on that really, but I can only hope for the best ^_^

16. pygmalion

What kinds of material is covered in the written test? 8)

17. Mitra

Mitra New Member

Mostly history I believe, and some basic elements of dance and how the levels are broken down. Keep in mind I can't say much considering I do not know in what areas FADS is different in testing people and what certain knowledge can be given out, so I will have to vague.

18. pygmalion

Vague is fine by me. I was just curious, since I'd heard about a technical exam/certification given by FADS. I believe that one's at a fairly high level, though. Doggone it! What's that exam called? I can't remember. It looks like there's a pretty strong training program, from all I've heard. I just didn't realize the theory segment of the training starts so early. 8)

19. Mitra

Mitra New Member

Well, had the test today, I think it went fairly well, although I did mess up one question dealing with the way people are ranked in dancing. Otherwise I think everything went smoothly.

Yeah, I can understand that normally that information would not be tested on until later in someone's dancing, but then again we are being trained to be instructors and they can only take on the best really, so therefore we better be understanding the way things work now or mistakes will be made later.

Also, I tried on a pair of spare dance shoes today that the studio has on hand for people to try out, and I could not believe it! For so long I have been very unhappy with my abilities in dancing, especially my ability to be taking proper steps in Foxtrot and Tango, but when I tried on a pair of these shoes and did a quick Tango preview, I could not believe it! My steps were absolutely wonderful, much more precise and steady, it felt wonderful. If I wasn't already waiting on a order for dance shoes, I would have ordered some from the studio right then or begged to have that pair ^_^ The problem was not really my ability as much as I was so afraid to put my full force into a move because the heel on my shoes right now is very sharp and hard, blocky too, and so everytime I take a step and swipe my feet together, if I miss and hit my foot it cuts right into my feet. I also had a fellow trainee swipe her foot in a Foxtrot move and crack my big toenail, nasty looking, but luckily it didn't hurt nearly as much as it looks. Hopefully the new shoes will aid in my gunshy habits though and allow me to fully put my efforts into dance.

As for the name of the exam, I have no idea really. We just called it the written exam, lol.

20. pygmalion

I was thinking about that. I seem to remember there beinga very comprehensive written exam that the studio dance director is required to take. Although I could be remembering wrong.

Sounds like you're doing well, so far.

And best of luck with the shoes. Having the right equipment makes all the difference. 8) :D