Ballroom Dance > the voices in your head

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 26, 2009.

1. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

The voices told me the same thing... and convinced me to skip practice (just solo, no one was left hanging!) last night to hang out on my couch, drink large amounts of orange juice and tea, and go to bed ridiculously early.

They were also right. This morning, things are much improved.

latingal likes this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

ditto one week to nationals should be all well by then

but practice today will be tough running rounds

latingal likes this.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

hey...I like this again

cornutt, FancyFeet and latingal like this.
  4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I am so fortunate to be able to do this wonderful dancesport as a hobby, to have such a great teacher, a support group of ballroom dancers and dance forum friends... many who I know and consider friends as well. The voices in my head are how wonderful all of this is!

5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

could ya' just hang out a bit in that hip?

6. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

stop speaking! stop nugging! stop speaking and start dancing instead!

7. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I am old and not sexy and I could have a new Corvette for what I spend on these lessons. Oh, wait. that's probably the Prednisone speaking....

cornutt and chomsky like this.
  8. fascination

no it's not...because I have that conversation with myself periodically...and I've never been on prednisone

9. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

how on earth am I ever going to be able to do this up to speed?

10. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

I could of redecorate my kitchen, have the best Metropolitan Opera sits , go skiing every weekend and buy the newest skis and boots , and spend 2 months on luxury trip to Europe – but , again, today is my dance lesson…and then there is a showcase… and all those other things can wait

chomsky and debmc like this.
  11. fascination

lol...I just look at my poor sad kitchen and my poor sad carpeting, and my deck that is sure to rot out from underneath me soon, and then there is the matter of how many starving people I could feed....I haven't even gotten to considering the luxuries, but I do that those moments where I contemplate this stuff...that being said, I also know how restless and sad I am after two weeks without a lesson...still, there may come a day when the extent to which I am doing this probably needs to be re-visited...but probably only when my pro retires or I break something

chomsky likes this.
  12. latingal

Funny, after coachings this last week my inner voice has been saying the same....

Geez, if I'm never going to dance like I want to, then why the **** am I spending this much money on this? Ditto the corvette, luxury trip to Europe, not to mention actually getting a place of my own.

And then there's the hours and hours of lonely practice I put in and the wear and tear on the feet and body.

There are days that you just want to crawl in a hole and stay there....but tomorrow is another day, and perhaps a day with a clearer head....

chomsky likes this.
  13. fascination

right...I sort of weigh what I need to do based upon how lingering the lack of motivation happens to be.....I am almost always ready for a month off in December....there are also times when I might have two or three weeks when I am not feeling it...I have sort of made myself a promise that if I ever go two months where I am not at all interested, I need to do something about it...I think most of the time it is simply a matter of having exhausted all of my internal resources....usually a consequence of being the only person who truly cares whether I do this or not...so if I need to get tough, I have to find that inside, if I need to be consoled, I have to do that for myself, if I am tired and sore, no one is playing the small violin for me....shrug...currently have allergies or a cold and have rolled my ankle...so practice will have to wait til tomorrow...sometimes the hardest thing to do is to trust the rhythm of life

14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

1) With all due respect, hogwash.

2) Damn, how late were you up?

15. NURDRMS

Sigh, up nearly all night. Don't sleep much anyway but side-effects from these meds are kicking my butt. Last dose tomorrow. And thanks for the 'hogwash.' Truly helped.

chomsky likes this.
  16. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think about finances too... but working in the healthfield, when I see others facing serious illnesses, I ask myself, what is important to me, what brings greater joy to my life... a new carpet or to dance.... and the answer is always... to dance! I think if the answer ever becomes... well, I really would prefer a new carpet, or car, or that trip to Greece... then I will have to reconsider. No matter what kind of day I am having, or week, dance becomes my safe haven, my time to shut the rest of the world out. So for now, it is worth it, though I share in the same thoughts at times about the outrageous expenses.

chomsky and latingal like this.
  17. fascination

exactly...having worked for hospice for 10 years is exactly what led me to ballroom...in fact, my boss was a ballroom dancer and my first exposure to ballroom was when Andre Tiabut (former partner to Anna Mikhed) passed away and my boss asked me to call their home studio to simply offer some grief info....then, when it came time to get dh a b-day gift...because he had always wanted to learn to dance to big bands, my mind went right back to that studio...the rest is history...and while no one will ever be impressed by my home, or possibly even by my dancing, I do not regret the choice...but I am open to wherever life leads me...for now, it leads me to indianapolis :)

chomsky and latingal like this.
  18. NURDRMS

Oh, exactly. I don't for a moment regret the cost of dance. Sometimes I just question my ability to ever dance well. It's funny; I look out my window at Pikes Peak and chide my neighbors for never challenging themselves to hike that mountain (and a challenge it is. Ain't no oxygen at 14000 feet.) "How can you look at it every day and not feel drawn to hike to the top?" I guess dance is like that for me, too. The mental preparation is so far removed from my daily life; I'm a general, for goodness sake. We are an extremely reserved bunch. we don't put our emotions on the line for all to see. We lead your sons and daughters into harm's way. That's the Pikes Peak challenge for me. Drawing on my inner female to display the emotion of the music through my body. How can I listen to music and not feel drawn to dance??? Do I look stupid? Sometimes. But do I regret the time, money, blood, sweat, and tears? Never.

And now back to my inner voices and sometimes inner demons...today they told me, "Hey, parts of that didn't stink!"

latingal, cornutt and FancyFeet like this.
  19. latingal

voice in my head today:

"No, you shouldn't stop to fix that, you've got too many other things you're supposed to be fixing!!!"

*sigh* "Okay, if you're gonna' stop to fix it, you might as well fix it right".

20. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

stay left head grrr grrr grrr left left left

FancyFeet likes this.