Dancers Anonymous > The Whining thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by chandra, Oct 19, 2005.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

You are divorced when the IRS agrees that you are divorced. ;)

2. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

That would be severed and shredded mentally and emotionally. During the separation.

3. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Oh wonderless! A third date to have to keep track of!

BTW, that date is always 31 December of whatever year it became final.

4. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Belated whine, but one I intone every single New Year's.

Why doesn't anyone broadcast Die Fledermaus anymore?

I'm sitting here listening to Trinke, Liebchen, trinke schnell (after a few tequilas, not exactly Strau├čisch). Back in the late 70's, PBS and A&E (back when it really used to be arts and entertainment) would broadcast it for New Year's, but now nobody does anymore.

Why not?!?

Classic line: Also doch zerheiratet!
    "So you are married!" Rosalinde von Eisenstein to her husband, but she's posing as a Hungarian noblewoman in masquerade to protect her identity at a party and he doesn't see through her ruse, though she knows full well who he is.
    Part of her ruse of pretending to be a Hungarian stranger is to mangle the German language so when she asked him whether he was married ("verheiratet"), she mangles it to "zerheiratet", a word which does not exist, but if it did it would mean "married to smithereens", "totally destroyed by marriage". And perfectly matches what she's thinking of her husband at that point (he was supposed to be in jail, but instead went to a party and her lover, whom she had to pretend to the prison director was her husband, was sitting in stir in von Eisenstein's stead).

Love that line!

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I feel like I've had a headache for 4 straight days. Yeah, Advil is keeping it in check. And I don't think I'm actually waking up with a headache, just residual soreness. But this is getting really old and I'd like it to stop. Like, now.

6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Time for that massage P. Or get yourself into the bath with lots of bubbles and a nice yellow duck.... Or better still have the bath first and the massage after - and then a lovely salad at a nice place in town... With wine.

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

drink lots of water and see an acupunturist and/or a doctor.

The causes of headaches are many but sorting out the why isn't always easy.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

have you had your wisdom teeth out?

9. Peaches

Thanks, btm. In my case, I'm sure it's tension--I feel it all through my neck and shoulder on my left side. It starts as musle tension, and then becomes a really nasty headache.

My whine for today: I hate people.

Now that that's taken care of... I feel like I'm stuck in a Monty Python skit (or was it Kentucky Fried Movie???): "Fish for dinner last night???" I hate the way the smell of Indian food lingers! My coat, my backpack...the bath towels, my bath robe...I'm sure the sheets need to be washed, too. BLECH!!! At least my clothes don't smell (that I notice).

10. bordertangoman

okay so what causes the tension and how can you unwind it?

Re; food smells; my bedroom at my mother's houses always seemed to be downwind of the kitchen and she is a closed window freak ( something to do with securit and keeeping out flies) and i once rented a room from a Pakistani family and just sort of got used to the pervasive smell of curry.

11. fascination

totally hear you on that...we had excellent indian food on st maarten, but my sweat smelled like the most pungent curry imaginable for two days!!!!!!!...was so glad I didn't have lessons...and man, will I be careful about when I eat it ever again...I reeked...

12. redsalsero

redsalsero New Member

oooh i wanna join

my whole body hurts from dancing yesterday :mad:

13. Peaches

It happens when I spend more time than usual at work focused on doing computer stuff. I keep re-arranging things at my desk to try and find a position that doesn't result in the tension, but so far no luck.

We had all of the windows open yesterday evening to try and air things out. No such luck. We were idgets, though, and forgot to close and towel the doors and shut off the house ventilation. Dangit. And, of course, I didn't think to put my coat and stuff in the closet--just left them sitting on the dining room chair.

14. fascination

have you ever seen one of those things you can microwave and sling around your neck to relieve tension?...some are filled with rice or seed and herbs...really helps me and keeps my traps down at the same time.....particularly at the keyboard

15. Peaches

I have one at home, actually.

I think part of what I need to do is just really focus on relaxing my neck, dropping my shoulders, and not grinding my teeth.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hmmm... sounds like something that would be good to keep at work... really working on relieving tension in shoulders right now... major therapeutic commitment with masseuse to make progress with that.

i bought one of those once for my mom... i think i used it more than she did, lol.

17. bordertangoman

wouldn't be simpler to microwave the person who's annoying you?

my gripe sore thumb joint; a secretary with a fan heater on full blast on the warmest day we've had this jan- must be 90F in our office

18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Do you lean on that arm when you sit in your chair? A few months ago, I was having trouble with my right shoulder hurting. At first I thought it was something to do with my dancing, but then I figured out that I was leaning on that arm when I sit in my chair at work. I fixed by lowering the chair arms way down, where I can't lean on them unconsciously. Also make sure you are maintaining good "piano posture" at your keyboard. IHMO most people put their keyboards up too high. I do a lot of typing with my keyboard in my lap.

As for the teeth thing: I know where you're at on that. I had tons of dental work done a few years ago, and at the end of it my dentist made me a splint that I wear at night. It fits over my upper teeth; it's kind of like a retainer except that it completely covers the upper teeth, and it has places on the underside where my lower teeth fit in. If I clench my teeth, it locks my jaw in place. A couple of months ago, I popped one of my veneers while dancing in a comp. Now she wants me to wear the splint during comps. :rolleyes:

19. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I've decided that, if I have a job that requires long periods of time at the computer again (don't have to do that now :D), I'm going to move an upholstered chair into my office and use my laptop. I work on the computer at home for hours without any tension, but IMO a desk chair is an instrument of torture.

You can get night splints over the counter (much less expensive than having the dentist make them). I don't like the kind that you soften in hot water to try to fit (never does, IME) but there is a kind that has two parts joined by a strip of plastic. The splint parts go between your back teeth. You could wear that at the office when you were on the computer.

20. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

I love those things, my mom has one, but I'm not sure where to buy one for myself.

I'm pretty bummed today because after reading the forum about the new NCDA rules, and talking with my teacher, I can't compete in my first comp this spring. I have a day job and I teach beginners in groups and privates at night while I'm constantly training myself to be a better teacher. I've been dancing just shy of two years now and b/c I teach a few hours a week I can't compete with my teacher. :-(