Dancers Anonymous > The Whining thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by chandra, Oct 19, 2005.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

My dentist made me one too, because he said I was grinding my teeth down too much. First night I wore it, I woke up in the morning and it was gone. I was starting to worry that I might have swallowed it, but then I found it on the floor all the way across the room. Only time that's happened.

2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Perhaps you should add your situation to the discussion thread?

3. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Who? Huh?

4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Sorry, answer got separated from the previous post...

OK

5. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Oh that's me you're talking about. oops

I actually just left another post on that topic (NCDA rules), but I'm sure it'll get lost soon. I'm going to have to give a little background as to how I got into ballroom dance. After graduating college and got a "real job", a couple of my friends took a couple of lessons at a studio and invited me to come along one night because they said it's so much fun. I tried it and of course loved it, and I was far from what you'd call a "dancer".

After that I continued to take lessons while my friends had to quit because they couldn't afford the contracts. A couple of months later that was my case as well and the my teacher suggested to have either my parents pitch in or I should take out a credit card to pay for these costly packages....

My day job involves web design, so one day I drove by another dance studio and went in to ask the owner if he needed a site done, so I could raise more money to afford more lessons. He said he has one already and asked if I'd like to try a free lesson. I accepted, because hey it was free! I went in for my lesson and he heard about my dance background and I told him I love dance so much but I can't really afford it anymore on top of paying rent and bills.. etc.

Well turns out this teacher recently took new ownership of the studio and was the only teacher here and asked if I'd like to train by him to be a teacher. Of course I was ecstatic and accepted. Since then I've been working really hard to learning anything and everything and have been progressing 10 fold compared to the other studio I was at before (and am so happy I switched studios). I've been teaching at night after by day job and was really hoping to be in my first competition this spring with my teacher as pro/am since I only have about two years experience so far and don't consider myself a pro by any means yet.

I love that I have been given the opportunity to teach because I want to learn dance inside-out and turn this into a career, if feasible. I just wish the rules weren't so strict so that I can only be considered a pro or an amateur (if teaching as AM), which I'm obviously not because there is no way I could afford to take lessons with the amt of hours I come into the studio to practice every week.

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Bingo.

I've been doing work that's primarily mousing and clicking...and I tend to do that while leaning on my left elbow on my desk. Instant headache. (I really can't lean on the arms of my desk chair easily or comfortably--the chair is too wide for me.)

As for the configuration of my desk...don't get me started. I have tried god-knows-how-many different configurations to try and find something workable, and nothing is. If I could stand to work with my keyboard tray in my lap that might be an option, but no matter how many times I've tried that I can't get used to it and make it work.

7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Blargh...I don' wanna exercise...

8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

me either. But now that we'r enot allowed to at work, I'm still upset. I don't want to work out, I just want it to be my choice though, not a ruling from above. :)

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

whaddya mean you can't work out at work...?

10. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Part of this contract was that night shift could go work out during the dead hours at night (pretty common for military contracts). Someone whined about something and now we can't.

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Usually called a nightguard. Or a bit, if you've ever seen From Dusk Til Dawn. ;) You've seen football players wear them, though I'm not sure if they're custom-fit like dental pieces are.

12. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

If it's in the contract, your contracting officer had better have a pretty good explanation.

13. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

My web browsing capablities are compromised. I can get onto DF but any othersite
    I just get the usual error message of the website is unavailable. How strange. Not even google.

14. MissBallroomBear

MissBallroomBear Active Member

Well, you may just have to live on DF forever. :D

On another note..

What is it with men that makes them think that if they don't go to the doctors that they're more 'macho'. My Dad has puss coming out of the top of his mouth and is now beginning to come out of his eye. Strangely enough, I can't seem to find the masculinity in that. If I tell him that the puss is making him lisp and that he sounds gay then he'll go running. Actually, that might be worth a try.. :twisted:

15. redsalsero

redsalsero New Member

iehl... thanx for sharing now i will have that in my head for rest of the day ty very much:(

16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

MBB - this is VERY SERIOUS! It may originate form an infected tooth root (does he have tooth ache?) and, I don't mean to be alarmist but he could damage his eye permanently or get an even worse infection.

Please get anyone you can to help convince him he needs treatment right away!! This is not to be triffeled with.

17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Sounds like a DNS problem. You can get onto DF because your computer has its IP address cached and doesn't need to look it up. I believe Google does a bunch of redirecting that makes DNS caching useless (Ebay is the same way).

18. MissBallroomBear

MissBallroomBear Active Member

Sorry, redsalsero. lol

ED, will do what I can.

19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Cornutt, no, it was an unwritten thing. Trust me, if it was written into the contract itself, I'd be complaining, and they'd either let us workout or I'd be on plane home. :)

Little annoyances continue at work. Sunday njight we're told we're starting the new shift schedule this Saturday, going from two shifts to three with overlap. I'm told I'm going to go from night shift now to late night shift on new schedule. I figure that's alright, what I had asked for, so think nothing of it. Take a holiday tuesday to make it a three day weekend. Get call from friend/boss to tell me that before we've even started new schedule, my shift has already been changed, and to show up for afternoon shift on saturday. OK, a little annoying, and still not sure how car situation is going to work, but I take it in stride. Then, last night, friend/boss gets bored and calls me at home again. This time though ti's to mess with my head and tell me there's a problem with my clearance and that I have to move to help desk and call our shop lead to find out what will happen. I replky that maybe I'll just go home, sounding like, to quote I've "just been kicked in the stomach." Get o nPC long enough to open email and reexamine a job offer I got earlier that day, when he tells me he's just screwing with me. So not exactly pleased with work right now. ANd can't even hit him when I go in next becuase he's doing my 60 day review next time he sees me. :) :p

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Etp, I hope this bonehead has been demoted from friend/boss to just...boss.