Dancers Anonymous > The Whining thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by chandra, Oct 19, 2005.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Not a word; not even discussing what she planned or who or what might be best for such an occasion.

Totally dissed.

and no evil smiley either!

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That's bad. She should have discussed her plans with you -- not to ask permission, but to be courteous, for heaven's sake. :mad: (Will a frustrated smilie suffice? :wink:)

3. bordertangoman

Its all a bad vibe:

I heard a story on the Radio of a tango teacher who pretended to be from Argentina because he knew that's want people wanted, but once he had the confidence of his pupils, he dropped the act and reverted to his northern accent.

I think that's it really; I don't carry the kudos of someone from some more exotic place and my actual skills as a dancer and teacher are therefore held in low regard; that's my hypothesis.

As for my revenge; I shall gloat over the fact that she is overweight, has no sense of balance and can't even do a simple ocho without losing her balance and pulling her poor leader over with her.

( I have nothing against large ladies; I've danced with a few who've been as graceful as angels on the dance floor)

4. bordertangoman

:twisted:

found it

5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

It's easier if you can show the requestor that you have your work organized and scheduled. If someone comes up to you with a task, and you are busy, then you can show them your schedule and depending on where the task fits in, say something like, "I'm tied up this afternoon and tomorrow, but I can get that done Thursday morning. Can it wait until then?" If the person says "no, it needs to be done now", then you can come back by pointing to your schedule and saying, "Which of these scheduled tasks would you like for me to put off so I can get that done?"

The thing you have to watch out for in this scenario is someone who tries to pull rank -- force their tasks to the top of your list regardless of priorities. If that happens, you need to go to your manager and say, "I've got this list of tasks to complete today, but Joe over there wants me to put this task off and do this task that he wants instead." Here it helps a lot if you and your manager have already gone over your schedule. Throw the decision on management -- that's what they are there for. If your manager says your scheduled activities are higher priority than what Joe wants, then you can go back to Joe with some confidence, explain the situation, and offer a later time to complete his task. If, at that point, Joe commences to yell and scream about it, tell him to go take it up with your manager, and waste no further time on him.

6. lynn

lynn New Member

yes, but if the person asking is the immediate superior, then things get a little tricky.....

7. cornutt

Well, if your supervisor demands that you alter your schedule, you pretty much have to. But it doesn't hurt to remind them about your other tasks and priorities. You may have to, at some point, say point blank: "Which one of these things do you not want done on time?" Your manager may not like that, but if they are any good at all as a manager, they will understand it. There are only 24 hours in a day, and you need two or three of them for sleep. :D

It gets nasty if your manager demands that everything be priority 1. I've had to deal with that myself, and I'll have to admit I don't have a good answer. Well, I do have one... If it makes you feel any better, be aware that it's one sign of a poor manager. But in the long run, if you have this type of manager, buck for a transfer. Or look for another job. That's the only good way out of this situation that I know of.

8. lynn

lynn New Member

Cornutt, i'm sorry to say i'm stuck in the unpleasant scenario #2 and there's no easy way out - @ least none that i'm aware of. For the time being, I'm just dealing with it day by day.... - o.k., now i'm whining big time, but consider this is the whining thread, i think i'll just take my time:bouncy: !

9. cornutt

Sorry to hear that. If you'd like someone to look over your resume, let me know. ;)

10. lynn

lynn New Member

aww, that's so sweet! :ladiesma:

11. chandra

chandra New Member

GRrrrr... Someone just walked into the store and said "Ooh, your a witch for haloween"
    I said "No, these are my normal clothes"
    They said "Your sarcastic right? Your totally a witch!"
    I said "erm... ITS NOT A COSTUME"

*sigh* If only I didnt have to be nice to customers

12. pygmalion

I guess I shouldn't want to laugh. But you should hear how that whole interchange reads. It reminds me of the classic comedy routine, "Who's on first."

Anyway. I'm guessing you're into the goth look. Yes? :cool:

13. pygmalion

Oh yeah. And my whine of the day. I hate it when daylight savings time ends. One day you're fine. And the next day, you're plunged into darkness. *sigh* :(

14. Sabor

Sabor New Member

dont like whining

15. pygmalion

I don't like a lot of whining, either, but a little whining is good for the soul. *giggle*

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think of whining like I think about this quote I once heard about pity: "one should never wallow in self -pity, but its okay to stick your foot it and swish it around once in a while"

17. pygmalion

Another profound quote. Right on point, as usual, fascination. :wink: :cool:

18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Yeah- you don't whine and the stress just bottles up inside you! Fortunately, I combine my whining/whinging with ample quantities of good-natured humor and, should I be whining in the evening, with decent quantities of good food and wine!

19. pygmalion

You know. There are some really wise women in DF. :notworth: :)

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

some of them are so beloved that they even have their own thread...hug