General Dance Discussion > Theme Dances

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

We've all been to theme dances I'm sure - Halloween, Valentine's Day, 50's sock hop, Hawaiian Luau.

Just wondered what other variety people have experienced.

The owner of the studio I attend is a fan of James Bond movies so there have been a few James Bond theme dances. We've had an Alice in Wonderland, Arabian Nights, Super Hero and the last USABDA dance here was Mardi Gras. I attended a swing dance that was a god bless America theme; this just after 911- I'll bet there have been a lot of these. I suggested having a frontier saloon night recently. :D

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hot Latin Nights, Pajama Party, Disco (with period costumes) Easter Egg Hunt, ...

All dance parties.

3. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

:bouncy:

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Ship wreck sailor. :)

5. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I got my wish for a halloween party this year, there will be a halloween costume starlight (3 hr lesson/party with students) at another studio :]

6. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Here are some more themes:

Brazilian, Carnivale, Mexican Fiest, 20's Gangter, Gong Show, 70's Disco Palace, Alien Invasion, Toga, Spy Party

7. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

THE GONG SHOW!!! Ha ha ha. You and I have very similar taste in television! :wink:

8. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I've actually never been to a Gong Show party. I saw it on a website, but...
    I would love to have a Gong Show party! That would be a blast! I wonder how one goes about obtaining a gong?

9. pygmalion

:lol: :lol:

Trust you to think of that, DM! lol!

10. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

well maybe you could make one out of a tin garbage can top and suspend it from something.

11. pygmalion

Check this out. I already thought so, but I looked it up. A gong is just a musical instument, and you can buy one on the web for $59! :lol: Maybe we should take one to the DF family reunion? :lol: 8) :?

12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yep, we can use it as part of a big DF mixer...every time the gong sounds, switch partners! :lol:

Or, better yet, switch partners and dances! :lol: :lol:

13. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

hee hee you guys are very funny. I've been reading your posts, and it's quite amusing!

ps: it depends on what size you want. huge, oriental ones are very expensive, like over $50,000 sometimes.

14. SDsalsaguy

Shhhhhh!!! Don't tell anyone!!!

15. jon

jon Member

An interesting range of themes can be found at the PEERS dances around here. There is considerable crossover between partner dance, folk dance, and historical recreation groups at these events.

16. will35

will35 New Member

What about the broom dance? If there is one extra male or female, a person dances with the broom. When the music stops, the person throws down the broom and grabs a partner and everybody switches. The person left without a partner dances with the broom.

17. SDsalsaguy

And think how much easier it is to finish cleaning up the floor at the conclusion of the evening... :lol: