General Dance Discussion > Things you have forgotten to bring

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Apr 18, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Am I the only one who has pulled up to the dance studio only to be mortified when I don't have my shoes with me and there is no back up here in the trunk?

Have you forgotten anything important that you really needed before you had to dance or compete?

2. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

My shoes. More precisely, I brought two left-foot shoes.
    The mp3 reader with my playlist.
    The keys of the studio.

3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I have a friend who once forgot his shoes at a competition and had to buy a pair there. Thankfully, the worse I've forgotten to bring is a tie.

4. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Let's just say there's a reason that I now keep spare tights, hair elastics and a pair of old shoes at the studio... and I once texted pro while he was on his way to the studio to ask him to pick me up a bottle of water, because I forgot mine. And I think there was an occasion a year or so ago when I warmed up wearing his sweater.

At a comp? Nothing. I obsessively pack... as-in, I have a checklist.

s2k, Borazine and blackswan like this.
  5. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Ditto. I have packing checklists for various scenarios (travel, dance events) in a spreadsheet so all I have to do is print them out, and it's easy to add items as needed.

Safety pins is the most critical item I can recall forgetting.

6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. I've done plenty of lessons in socks. A common problem used to be forgetting to bring a spare shirt for Friday night. I keep an extra shirt in the car now.

DanceMentor likes this.
  7. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Checkbook on lesson day at a studio that didn't take credit cards. Oops!

8. IndyLady

I have to be honest, I don't know how you did that unless they were sticky socks (like for a barre class, or in the hospital). I would have been on my bottom with a cracked skull if I tried to dance in socks.

RiseNFall likes this.
  9. Requiem

Requiem New Member

I wonder if men's socks are thicker and less slippery on average than women's? I've found my socks to actually have a slightly better grip than my shoes, depending on how worn they are.

10. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

I forgot my competition dresses for a competition. It was heart-stopping when I realized it! Fortunately, i only lived 30 minutes away, and I always aim to get there early, so i had enough time to drive back and get them. I now put a reminder to put my dresses in the car THE NIGHT BEFORE. because I am not having that happen again.

to practice - i always forget hair ties. because those suckers are like bobby pins, you buy a pack, and then suddenly they are all gone.

MaggieMoves and blackswan like this.
  11. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I'm a checklist person (which I now keep on my phone), but now I have to remember to check my list(s).

RiseNFall, cornutt and IndyLady like this.
  12. Mia

Mia Member

LOL! I guess I don't feel so bad when I forgot to bring hair bands, those elastic things I use to tie up my long hair. When I was doing spins, my long hair kept on giving the lead "whiplash" along with blinding him for a few seconds

I got tired dancing in heels so I took them off and tried dancing in a pair of Adidas sport socks and I kept losing control. The lead had to hold me to prevent me from slipping away at times LOL! After that got too slippery, I took off my socks which I had on over tights and just danced in tights. That was not much better either, at least for me ..... good thing the lead prevented me from bumping into things, like walls when I slipped ......

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  13. blackswan

blackswan Member

I don't typically forget things for lessons because they live in the car - shoes on back seat, hair ties around the gear shift. Although the ties do seem to have a habit of losing themselves!

14. cornutt

Our studio has a fast floor anyway, so I think we're all pretty much used to it. I've gotten to where I dance my best after the suede on my shoes has worn down.

IndyLady likes this.
  15. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I've done this. Thankfully it was an extremely local competition. Drove back with full makeup and my latin costume. I was doing about 85-90 mph the whole way back and would have made for a heck of an explanation to a police officer.

I've also gone to practices and only had ONE shoe in my shoe bag. I've also brought two right shoes, and two left shoes...

I'd forget my own head at times if it weren't attached.

Mr 4 styles and scullystwin42 like this.
  16. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Sidenote: Yeah, me too. Not sure why aside from thick (normal) suede feels like molasses to me.

17. kckc

kckc Active Member

My "A" game...

RiseNFall likes this.
  18. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much the same. Also, I think that dancing on a fast surface requires/encourages better weight-transfer technique.

19. cornutt

Ha! I did that recently at a lesson. I was moving things around between bags, and when I got to my lesson, I found out that I had two right shoes in the bag I had. I guess that goes with two left feet. :D

20. IndyLady

Argh. I went on vacation last week so I emptied my car before parking it at the airport for a week.

And I forgot to put my dance shoes back when I returned. Guess I will be taking tonight's lesson in sneakers. :eggface:

cornutt and Mr 4 styles like this.