Thinking of opening a dance studio

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twinkletoes, Apr 10, 2009.

1. twinkletoes

twinkletoes New Member

Hello everyone!
    I am new to this forum. I found it while researching about opening dance studios. I have had this idea for a while. My in laws live in a decent sized town about 50 miles from where I live, and there isn't one dance studio in sight. I originally started looking for a place to rent out down there so I could teach Zumba (latin style aerobics), as I will be getting my cert for that in June. There is not ONE single dance studio down there, and that got my wheels turning about just starting my own studio, and then I could hire teachers and teach zumba myself as well. My husband grew up in that town and thinks it would be a great idea and is very supportive of my ideas. He believes it would benefit the community greatly.

What I would like to know is, do any of you own your own studio, and would you be willing to help me figure out how to start up. My father in law is a contractor and could help me build/remodel a space. I started writing a business plan, but have no idea on how much it actually takes and if it would be worth it. My sister in law from my side of the family helps run her friends studio, but I'm not sure if I want to ask her much because I don't want their company to jump in on that idea...if you get what I mean. I would love some help if you could offer it :)

2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Why etp, you're going to give TC a run for the money! *grin*

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, only on topics that I happen to remember a past thread on. he's a lot better at digging up threads jsut based on subject.

5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Just be careful to mix what you love with business. For some, it works out great. For some, it just makes what they love become just business.

6. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

there are many things in opening a studio. i am operating one, for now. :cool:

this is not the only thing.

you will have expenses, and you need to have money to pay them. maybe that is not a place to have a dance studio. you need to look from every aspects.

and when it comes to zumba, i haven seen a lots of man doing it.

anyway - good luck.

7. RickRS

RickRS Member

I had no idea what Zumba was, so had to check Wiki for a definition. Seeing it's more a dance-based physical fitness thing, shouldn't you be checking for completing gyms and fitness studios instead of just completing dance studios?

However, maybe you could be both: Zumba fitness classes and regular dance classes?

8. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I know a studio in nearby town which does that. They have a really large space, though, and they can divide it into 3 reasonably sized sections. So they can have a group class going on in one or two of those, and have private lessons in the rest of them.

9. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

My studio does the same thing. The Zumba classes were just started recently, and they draw bigger attendance than the dance classes. In general, though I would agree that Zumba is primarily offered at gyms and fitness places more than at dance studios.

10. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Our gym doesn't offer Zumba (last time I checked it didn't, that is). Also, aerobics studio in our gym tends to have very sticky floor, especially in warm months. Moreover, when it becomes less sticky, aerobics people complain. I wonder how Zumba combines with sticky floors.

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I teach zumba and it would be excellent crossover for a dance studio...I hope someday to offer it at one

12. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

We have Zumba here, it tends to draw in a non-dance related crowd. I think it's good to introduce people to dance in a form of fitness since many people shy away from the idea of ballroom dance until they try it.

13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, thought I rememberd that on your calendar, lc. Was just going to go look and then come back here but you beat me to it. :)

14. reb

reb Active Member

If you're the only game in town - nice head start. Make sure you're prepared for an extended start-up just in case.

Competitors, when they arrive, aren't only/always 'bad' - they can further stimulate interest, 'prove' to prospects that its real, generate interest and buzz, etc. Just to beware about not focusing the wrong energy around poor anti-competitive practices which may do you more harm and have been discussed here - know your competitors, work your strategy, and don't obsess about them when they arrive.

Whether or not another studio/teacher emerges, you still have competitors - your prospect/clients other interests and needs - not bad again, just be aware.

In another state, I am amazed at how many dance studios continue to spring up around here - not even including the hole-in-the-wall strip mall types - they're spawning . . .

I'm kind of intrigued about Zumba being a cross-over into the general population - not sure how it translates in terms of making your business succeed/grow, but I am intrigued . . .

15. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

hehe I'm just too quick!

16. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

Here's a question: Why aren't there any dance studios there? Could it be because there is not enough interest to fully sustain one? Knowing Utah's relationship with ballroom, I'd suspect there is something going on.
    That said, is there someplace you can start out that would be inexpensive? Perhaps a gym, a regular dance studio, a karate studio, a community center, etc.? Renovating a space to use as a dance studio will be expensive, and will likely involve a lease with a set term.

17. fascination

the studios that I am aware of that do really well, have such a multitude of things going on in their facilities...they rent floor space for practice at reasonable rates, they rent to churches on sundays and other things of that nature...they have fitness classes in the a.m. before dance teachers are even awake....all of that, plus they may carry various vending that is profitable as well...in a past life, I did alot of research on this...maybe in a future life it will amount to something...most zumba music (70%) is latin music...primarily merengue, salsa, samba, cha and cumbia...also some hip hop and reggae and 30% is instructor's choice (which can be part kickboxing and aerobics steps as well as moves from ecs, jive etc)...a ballroom dancer who is zumba certified could put enough basic ballroom steps in their numbers to both intrigue non-dancers about ballroom as well as intrigue dancers with practice opportunity:cool:...

18. RickRS

RickRS Member

So, Zumba could be a gate-way drug to get some innocents hooked on ballroom... :cool:

19. fascination

muahahahahaha

20. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Am a current owner, and have had several schools over the yrs in small and large towns and cities.

Am not going to give all the financial side, because each situation is different... but here is probably the most important, before you put the " key " in the door.. ADVERTISE... do a "feeler " ad. and see what response you get . Only detail your intended syllabus and Ph # ( no prices, no times ) you should have a time table of appprox opening ,but dont get caught in the planning trap.

Send out registration forms when you are close to a date ..( 4 to 5 week courses work very well )

You do need to get a written syllabus for your class work.. for your own plan of action.