Salsa > This week's mission (Wed Jan 12, 2005) - eye contact

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Pacion, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Sabor

Sabor New Member

hmm.. is it a weapon of mass combustion!? :shock:

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

All joking aside, is anybody planning to take on the challenge? 8)

3. Sabor

Sabor New Member

what challenge darling..?... it has to be something challenging first so it becomes a challenge .. ya feel me :wink:

4. Julili

Julili New Member

great mission:) but hope not only for just one week :wink:

5. tj

tj New Member

Well part of the "challenge" is to get people to overcome their shyness. Another is to look at your partner without making them uncomfortable. I think a lot of eye contact equates to attraction, for a lot of folks.

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Attraction? I hope guys aren't thinking that! :lol: :lol: My Dad always taught me to look people in the eye as a sign of respect and honesty... except for your "elders," when it's a sign of disrespect and being "too big for your britches." :lol: :lol: Hmm...

The eye contact thing is a bit complicated. :?

7. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Re: This week's mission, if you choose to accept...

One thing at a time, this is one of my teachers once said to me:
    "You're just such a bad dancer, everything you do has to be corrected. Next time you go dancing, try to focus the whole evening on one single thing, for example not looking at the floor. And then another evening, try to be listening to the music. Next time try to actually lead the woman, and so on..."

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Only this week!! :eek: It is my mission in dancing to get my partner to relax, connect, interact avec moi. A little hard yesterday night as I was dead tired and doing some really surreal dancing. :oops:

9. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

:shock: Really?

10. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Well as long as I go dancing, this won't be tough. ;)

I can even do this with a foxtrot! :lol:

11. Paou

Paou New Member

Yeh, I wish more people were like that... just dancing moves and routines is no fun at all...

someone said to me once "be playful, don't just dance moves... have a laugh and do the unexpected" - after trying it... I realised how boring it is if you don't goof around at least a little bit....

12. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

13. DancePoet

You mean this saying wasn't abolished yet. Should have been. :)

14. DancePoet

This person was a teacher?

15. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Bad form, Mr. Teacher. Very bad form.

Twilight Elena

16. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Yes, that is what the "mission" is all about. Sorry to hear that your teacher was so blunt!!! :shock: :x

:doh: I have read your, ahem, comments :lol: My responses are:
    a) the mission is not to stare at your partner throughout the dance. I appreciate that sometimes NOT looking has more of an effect that looking BUT it is to be aware of the times when NOT looking so that it is flirty. :lol:

b) yes, it helps if one goes dancing (dancepoet :roll: :wink: )

c) when I look at my partner, I still try to use my peripheral vision to see what else is going on in the immediate vicinity to us :? but, this is something that I may have developed from an early stage from ballet classes and perhaps assume that everyone naturally does it? :oops:

d) when I look at my partner, most of the time (!) and he looks at me, we have more of a connection. I can "sense" his leads better than if I wasn't looking at him, irrespective of where I am looking (floor, at the cuter guy behind him, etc etc :wink: )

e) when my partner looks at me, I believe he feels the increased connection AND notices when I do silly things... which is the reason for dancing, no? :wink:

f) trying to focus on one thing for a week (or even night), will hopefully make it more second nature :( it does not mean that you stop looking at your partner for subsequent weeks/missions, should you accept :roll: :lol:

g) Sabor... you want a challenge/need something that is a challenge for you? :eyebrow: Where is my shirt? :roll: :roll: :wink: :lol:

17. vey

vey New Member

OK, count me in :D

Disclaimer: I tend to get in trouble when I'm looking at a guy too much during dancing :shock: :shock: :shock:
    - It'd help me a lot if I had Pacion's phone number to give out instead of mine, so she could explain them the whole "week's mission" thing ....
    :wink: :wink: :wink:

18. vey

vey New Member

randomMysh,
    love your signature

19. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

Starting a new set of lessons on Satuday. My mission is to remember and properly perform all that I learned in the last ones.

20. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: Swingolder. That is a mission for another week :wink:

Hope you enjoy the new lessons. :D