General Dance Discussion > Tights or no tights?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Ecclesiastes3_4, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Ecclesiastes3_4

Ecclesiastes3_4 New Member

I'm just curious girls...do you wear tights or socks when you dance?

I've noticed many women go without, particularly if they're wearing sandals. I personally hate wearing shoes with bare feet. The straps dig into my feet, and I get blisters. Plus my shoes get all sweaty! I find tights or socks give me a barrier between the shoe and my feet.

So which camp are you in?

2. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

I personally don't like socks in general, even when walking around the house, I would rather be barefoot. But when it comes to dancing I never wear socks. I like my shoes to fit like a glove and that doesn't leave room for socks. Plus the rare times I have danced with socks was back in my ballet days and I hated it. My feet would slide in my shoes like crazy.

3. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I prefer bare feet now, but I liked socks or hose when I first started. IIRC, you're a beginner, so it won't be a factor for a while, but the time may come when you need the greater control of being barefoot.

Moleskin is a great solution for places that rub, placed either inside the shoe or on the foot.

And sweat, well, welcome to the dancer's life! I find spray powder deodorizers like Dr. Scholl's very effective for de-stinking dance shoes.

Do you wear closed-toe shoes or sandals?

4. Ecclesiastes3_4

Ecclesiastes3_4 New Member

I have a pair of Capezio Crisstina sandals, plus a set of character shoes that I wear if I'm going to dance longer than a couple of hours. I can tell the character shoes won't work much longer though. When I do more advanced moves they don't hold my foot tightly enough and sometimes the leather sole is too slippery.

5. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I usually don’t for practice, but for comp I do, reason is that I tan my face, neck shoulder, back & arms, so would like to wear tights one shade darker to match tanned arms & backs, so my legs won’t appear so pale and strange (trying to save some tanning lotion as well). Also most comp venue have strong A/C, don’t want to catch cold too.

6. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

The reason ?.. the feet have more control over the shoe ( better grip ), in addition, in war time in the UK, stockings were not available, and a liquid leg makeup was used.. it never went back to stockings..

7. Iolane

Iolane New Member

I never wear tights. I don't really like the way they look and I imagine they would interfere with the ability of my foot to grip well, though I've never tried wearing them so I don't actually know.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my first pro insisted on them...I am so glad my second pro doesn't..now granted, if my legs looked like cottage cheese I would wear them...correction, when they do....lol...I will wear them...but, in the meantime, I find them unsufferably hot, a PITA to get in and out of the multiple times I need to use the washroom, and an impediment to how I like to use my foot

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I've never noticed a difference between wearing tights or fishnets and not except that my legs are a lot more presentable in aesthetic terms IN them. When it comes to shoe fit/foot use, the only difference is on hot days it makes the shoes easier to get on and off and spares me some blistering.

Note: When I say "tights" I'm referring to dance tights, not nylon stockings. YMMV.

10. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Ditto, this. I don't wear tights or fishnets in practice. I do wear socks or knee-highs social dancing when I wear my practice shows/dance sneakers. In competition I sometimes wear nothing and sometimes wear fishnets, just depending on my mood (this is for smooth).

11. I used to not want to wear nylons at all. After deciding to dance with nylons, I found that not only they protect my legs from cool air, but also it makes changing in/out of my dress easier.

12. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

no tights

13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm baffled by socks. Socks? Hose or fishnets I understand, but I can't see socks doing anything other than making my already snug dance shoes so tight that they're uncomfortable.

14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I've seen people do that and I just assumed it was to deal with a shoe that had otherwise been stretched out too much, so the sock got back some of that desired tightness. Shrug. Never bothered to ask, and it was never something that affected me. (With my shoes I've always been able to just tighten the ankle/instep strap/ties some more and keep going.)

15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I wear fishnets in all styles. I find that most women who wear them could probably go without. And most women who go without... probably shouldn't!

16. pygmalion

*giggle*

17. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

One of my pros was rather insistent on that point (also being in full costume and shoes for awards.) Some people at the new studio find it odd, but NP doesn't mind.

18. pygmalion

I read somewhere that 98% (or some other obscenely high percentage. I'm pretty sure it's 98%) of women have at least some cellulite, regardless of their percent body fat. Something to do with the structure of the female fat cell and skin that thins with age. Oval fat cells = jiggle = wear the blinkin hose, already.

My $0.02.

19. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I wear fishnets when I am dancing latin or rhythm (something that doesn't happen often these days anyway). I don't wear them for smooth or standard. I used to wear tights, but my feet get sweaty and tights aren't absorbent, they just add an extra slippery layer. I wear socks with practice shoes, but they're kinda stretched out by now, socks make them snuggly again.

20. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

for lessons, i go bare (easier to really feel the floor). but for comps i will normally wear fishnets (despite probably being able to pull off otherwise) only because I know many judges dont think anyone shouldnt NOT wear fishnets - no matter how thin or nice your legs are.