Ballroom Dance > [Tipping thread] Do you tip your dance teacher/ coach?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dr Dance, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Students: Do you tip? How much? And teachers: Is your policy to accept/ encourage tips from your students?

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I sometimes receive tips, but I tend to refuse once, and let them know it is not necessary.

3. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

I do not tip dance teachers...I do not usually tip when paying for instruction.

Also, I believe that the general guideline is that you do not need to tip business owners/independent contractors, and the like. They are setting the rate for their services unlike those employed by businesses.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

no

ajiboyet likes this.
  5. Dr Dance

Nice point. Thank you. But what about studio staff teachers who don't set their own rates?

6. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

No. I do give a gift during the holidays, and to me, that's the end of the year "thank you" in lieu of a tip.

7. letsdance101

letsdance101 Active Member

No. I have never heard of tipping a dance teacher so that is very interesting. At the studio I take lessons at, all the instructors set their own prices so tipping has never been an issue or even been considered.

8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

On a side note...do you tip the hair and makeup stylists? They are usually independent businesses as well.

9. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Never ever tipped the teacher(s). That said, when it came to the holidays we did give small increment gift cards to say a favorite coffee shop or book store.
    On the sidenote,,,nope DebMc.

10. letsdance101

letsdance101 Active Member

I do tip my hairdresser but I personally find the situations different considering I go to my dance instructor every week and pay a little over $100 for one hour of his time as opposed to my hair dresser who I go to once every 3 months and I pay under $100 for at least 2 1/2 hours of her highlighting washing and styling my thick long hair.

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i don't have a hair or make up stylist

danceronice likes this.
  12. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

If I were just taking a series or block of private lessons from one teacher and then not doing so anymore (wedding, specific choreo, etc.), I think I would tip at the end, but not my long-term dance teacher. I do other things/gift them other ways on occasion throughout the year and on the important holidays. We've had wedding couples book a block of lessons, or a private group give us a tip at the end of "our time together" to say thanks, and we've said thanks, and mentioned that it was unexpected and muchly appreciated. I think it's nice, but I'm not going to milk anybody. Most of our students are as broke as we are though, so it isn't usually a problem.

13. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I don't do it often and would never do so intentionally, but my balance isn't perfect and sometimes it just sort of happens...

14. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

15. kckc

kckc Active Member

well done sir! That whooshed right over my head for a few seconds...

debmc likes this.
  16. twirl2010

twirl2010 Member

interesting comparison with hairdressers.. i never thought about that

especially in places like fads or arthur murray where teachers get a fairly small part of what the student actually pays (please correct me if i am wrong on this) why would tipping your teacher be out of place?

17. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

No cash tipping.
    Just appreciation gifts (up to $ 50 value) during Holidays and Birthdays ; such as box of chocolates, bottle of wine or quality liqueur, souvenirs coming back from vacation as T-Shirts or beach bag, Starbucks gift card.

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You tip waitstaff because they get paid very little, and much of what they take home is from tips. Your dance teacher (most often) is not being paid very little.

19. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Teachers are "not allowed to accept gifts from students" at FADS. Students do in fact sometimes give gifts and nobody expects an instructor to be anything other than gracious when the 9 yr old he dances with gives him a tie. I, however, stuck with favorite edibles--which my instructor was also very happy about.

20. Dr Dance

I tip my long term social dance teacher at Christmas only. I don't tip after each lesson. But I was curious about the general consensus on tipping; so, thanks to all for the thoughtful responses.