Ballroom Dance > Tips for New Instructor?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by EllaKins, Nov 12, 2017.

1. EllaKins

EllaKins New Member

Wow! Thank you, this was a lot of great information!

And thank you for the congrats :)) I am SO excited. I have been wanting to be an instructor for maybe 2 or 3 years and wasn't ready for a while. Now I feel a little more ready and I am really so excited

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Ditto that. I know when I've done something incorrectly. Don't say something is good if it's not.

3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

What level of students are you teaching? Brand new bronze group classes or open gold competitive students? That makes a big difference. Know what you are teaching....dance is very specialized....don't teach a style that you really have minimal information about. Continue to learn yourself and grow in your skills. Never, ever become impatient with a student. Students want to be corrected but in a way that facilitates their learning. The best teachers know how to do this.

IndyLady likes this.
  4. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Great post @Br0nze

Can't re-iterate "keep it simple" enough. If your student's eyes are glazing over, STOP TALKING. No more explanation or clarification, time to just do it. You can always flesh out concepts afterwards, but dumping an ice water bucket of info on them all upfront is sometimes just a waste of water.

Re: the "empty cup" metaphors.... not all your students will be coming in with an empty cup just waiting to be filled. They may have previous experience (ballroom or not) and ingrained habits, some personal issue may be bothering them that day that needs to be sussed out or addressed up front first... you may have to dump out their cup, or part of it, before you start filling it with your content. Just be aware that you're not always dealing with a blank slate.

5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Aka don't make your students say "please stop telling me things" while covering their ears and closing their eyes.

(This didn't happen to me last week or anything...)

Borazine, danceronice and IndyLady like this.
  6. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

When a student is doing something wrong, don't simply say "Don't do bad-thing." That is unhelpful. What's the student to do with that, to keep from doing bad-thing? Put an explosive belt around their waist and detonate?

Instead say "Instead of doing bad-thing, do good-thing. Because explanation." The "because" part might be optional for those who, unlike me, are not analytical engineers.

7. EllaKins

EllaKins New Member

I just want to sincerely thank ALL of you who commented. All of this is so extremely helpful. I am beyond excited but also beyond nervous, so I am thankful for all of these tips and comments.

IndyLady and RiseNFall like this.
  8. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Are you up for the NUMBER ONE tip? Always maintain a gentle sense of humor. As an example, check out dance instructor Lawrence Welk on his TV show in the 1950s:

9. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

late 1970s. This show was for many years one of the few places on tv where you could see partner dancing, btw. Great music, too....