Tango Argentino > To date or not to date... is it specific to tango?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by jfm, May 31, 2007.

1. jfm

jfm Active Member

So...
    I posted this on Q's thread in dancers anonymous, but from speaking to friends it seems that tango might be in a different class to other dances...

When Orlando Bloom announced he was single and looking on This Morning with Phil and Fern, I actually had this train of thought:
    "ooh lovely, there's hope for me yet... no! damn! he doesn't Tango! What's the point in going out with someone who doesn't tango? Sorry Orlando, you are out of luck..." then I thought "actually, no, i'd never go out with someone from Tango... Oh my God! I can't win!" because of all the reasons people have already given for avoiding dance floor romances...
    So now I find, I can't go out with Orlando because he doesn't Tango, but then if he did tango I couldn't either....
    Oh what a tangled web!

Would you date someone who tango'd? would you consider someone who doesn't? would you persuade them to learn? to what degree do people you dance with interpret your enjoyment of the dance as enjoyment of them? etc etc? Is Tango a special case? If so why?

2. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I personaly know 4 couples who met on the tango dance floor/studio/class and are now long time happily married couples, 1 couple who are now engaged, and, another two couples who are actually dating because of Tango.

3. Me

Me New Member

If I found myself alone, and met somebody new, that person would at least have to be understanding of the type of intimacy that is tango. However, I cannot help but think that is an extremely tall order for somebody who knows nothing of tango and has no interest in learning.

4. spectator

spectator Member

It's really something to think about... but I reckon I could make an exception for Orlando...

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

<wondering if he tangoes...>

6. spectator

spectator Member

a "gender unspecified" person can dream...

7. jfm

jfm Active Member

We should make a list of beautiful men who should learn to tango and then ambush them...

8. Me

Me New Member

Oooooh lemmie start the list!

1. Alan Rickman

*swoon*

9. Twirly

Twirly New Member

It's a tricky question. Both options have good and bad points, but if you really like someone you have to go for it, right? As long as you're not planning on trying to "change them" (e.g. they don't want to dance / they dance too much) it might just work...

10. Twirly

Twirly New Member

I think the tango scene looks quite different depending on where you are. In some places it has more of a ballroom feel, with a lot of older couples, not focused on late night milongas with alcohol, more of a daytime atmosphere if you'd like. In others it feels more like night clubs with many single young people, a bit like salsa clubs perhaps. Obviously there will be a difference.

Either way it's always best to be careful, everyone loves a good gossip and things can get awkward.

11. Ron Obvious

Ron Obvious New Member

Hate to mention this cliché, but "It takes two to tango". Hehe.

12. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

hmmm, well it would be nice to have a partner who tangoes.

I find myself admiring the way a woman walks ( as well as the usual attributes) and thinking she'd make a nice tango dancer.

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What are the "usual attributes?"

14. bastet

bastet Active Member

I also have a downside to dancing with the person you are with, especially if both of you are "determined" in you rputlook to dancing tango...invariable bickering about who did what right or wrong and how something should be done. In my experience, people tend to give their "social" partners a break when it comes to technical problems, but almost everyone i know who has a regular partner (whether they are dating or not) says they argue about dancing....that's definitely a reality to think about if you decide to date someone you are dancing with.

15. bafonso

bafonso New Member

Intelligence of course!

b

16. Mochaboy

Mochaboy New Member

Haha...so true it hurts :)

I guess it's just like anything else in life...

- if you're lucky, you meet someone that's "no assembly required", rabid about dancing and generally pleasant to be around (to you anyway :)

- if you're lucky, you'll meet someone that sees the value in learning something together, is not overly critical, and makes a concerted effort to give *constructive criticism (and shut up the other 98% of the time).

As for me and mine...

Otherwise blissful life - the only thing that ever causes friction in our relationship is tango...precisely the points where we find ourselves incapable of "working out" a move, and where the conjecture begins.

What you want to hear is, "ok honey - let's do it your way"
    What you end up hearing is, "No that's wrong, this is your part"
    How you end up interpreting it, "2 yrs of private lessons and you can't do a simple gancho!!!! whatsa matta with you!!!"

And yes, I'm less critical with social dance partners, but when I dance with my partner partner, it takes a constant effort not to misinterpret what's being said. I'd like to say we're doing it the right way, because it's 6 months later and we're still taking classes together, and it's still one of the many things we look forward to doing together as a couple :)

fwiw

17. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Woud I date a Tanguero

No. I wouldn't. A friend of mine earlier this year confessed his feelings towards me. It came as no surprise as I'd often times witness the mood if I didn't have the "last dance" with him or if I'd arrive back at the sofa beaming after a good dance. In the car drive home from a milonga one evening I detected a mood. I barely got out of the car and he was already tearing off down the road. Some days later he explained the reason behind his mood. I firmly explained that I did not feel the same way and that friendship is all he'd get from me. I left my local class and joined another and have limited myself to just one milonga outting with him a week. The others are now spent with my tango'ing girlfriends or by myself. I love dancing with different guys - no matter their race, age, size or even their level. Where is the learning (for me that is) if I commit myself to one dancer only. What say, an Antonio Banderas look-alike/dance-alike was to approach me and 20 minutes lates we're still exchanging sweat. The last thing I need to be worrying about is my husband/boyfriend glaring over from the sidelines. Ha, ha, ha.

18. basicarita

basicarita Member

It may be detonating a bomb to say this here, but the divine Mr. Rickman actually can tango. There's a group (I've forgotten the name of it; I think it's because I'm jealous of the lead singer b/c she danced with him) -- they're Scottish, I think, and Dallas Austin directed a video of theirs where they're picked up in a chauffeured Jag and go to a gas station at what looks like 3 in the morning and tango. Then the Jag drops him back at his flat and takes her wherever else she was going. If I had known they ere shooting, I think I would have been sitting right there on the steps waiting for him to get back.

I'll try and find the link for the video.

19. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

The track is "In demand", by the band Texas (yes, they're Scottish!), and there's a video here:
    http://video.leakynews.com/video/show/219

The tango stuff starts at about 2.15 minutes into the video - it's not really tango, it's just lots of dramatic looks and so on. Hmmm, maybe that is real tango :)

Although Alan Rickman definitely has "the look" in that vid.

The only celeb I know who's passionate about AT is Clive James, but I can't see many women swooning so much over him.

20. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

The celeb that I know of that truly studies, knows, and dances tango is Robert Duvall