Salsa > Too much salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by dancin_feet, Jul 12, 2004.

1. squirrel

squirrel New Member

There is no such thing as too much Salsa! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

There is no such thing as too much music, good food, exercise, art, sex, singing or love, either! :lol:

3. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I double the sex part (comparable to a good Salsa dance... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: )

4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Yes, but sex is the only one I don't want to do with EVERYONE! :lol:

5. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I second that... I have a favourite! And he's the only one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Sabor

Sabor New Member

poor guy! he must be too tired to breath :lol: :lol:

7. squirrel

squirrel New Member

he's doing just fine... :)
    you're soooooooooooo worried about him... I wonder why that is...?!

8. Sabor

Sabor New Member

well, u know.. i sympathize with fellow bretheren who may be in harsh/dire circumstances :lol: :lol:

9. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:) well.... any ideas on how to help with with his burden?

10. Sabor

Sabor New Member

:nope:

11. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    then don't pity him! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

12. tj

tj New Member

Lol – I like the direction that this thread has taken!

(back to the subject – isn’t it funny how you can’t please everyone? I know lots of salser@s, myself included at times, who will complain when not enough salsa is played. Personally, I disliked it when a certain club played 66% merengue, 16% salsa, 16% bachata.)

13. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I complain if the night is advertized as Salsa night, then you show up and there is a bunch of merengue, bachata, etc. If that was the case then say Latin night so I don't go!

Here in NY City, a Salsa only venue isn't meant for everyone, hence salsa only venue. It is strictly for the Mambo lover! Nothing more, nothing less. If a person happens to walk in from the street, then, sorry, but you can't complain that they only speak spanish in spain. If SALSA is on the front door, well my friend, it is an event only catered towards the dancer and salsa lover, the regular person outside isn't a fly on the wall when the event was is sponsored, so why even worry about those people who the event isn't targeted to? If it isn't your cup of tea, then you have the option to keep walking, there are plenty of places in manhattan to suit everyone. But this night, this one place is MAMBO ONLY, keeping the variety lover happy isn't a concern!

You have to be a hardcore salsero to want only salsa, anything less, is simply unacceptable. Just like one type of music is simply unacceptable to the variety lovers!

14. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Yeah, Salsa is not reggaeton, bachata or merengue even though they often group them together. :roll: And yes, to diehard salser@s, that's pure sacrilege if you advertise Salsa and play something else! :wink: So right Boriken. If you're gonna play all kinds, advertise as latin and maybe the DJ or establishment won't get tomatoes thrown at them. :lol:

15. Danoo

Danoo New Member

salsa can never get boring

16. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I walked out of such a club a few weeks ago (luckily there was another club with a better mix not far away). The place used to do decent salsa nights with about 80% salsa & 20% merengue, but they decided they wanted to attract customers who would drink something slightly stronger than water/orange juice/cola, so changed their music policy...

17. Danoo

Danoo New Member

wow thats too bad
    lucky 4 u there was another nearby :p

18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol:

19. Vin

Vin New Member

You know I do have a theory about why it is better to cater to the salsa crowd.
    The great latin nights are going to be where the best dancers are. People, even if they are not dancers, want to see the dancers that really enjoy what they are doing. Out of the latin dances most of the dancers that put alot of time into there dancing are primarily salsa dancers.
    Hence cater to the salsa crowd and the rest will follow.

I have seen alot of great salsa places that were packed. Mostly with people who were not salsa addicts. But they still were alot busier than the places that played 70% hip-hop 20% merengue and 10% salsa.

20. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Dancing_feet is spot on with the concept of culture shock.

This thread is a classic case that illustrates how, as a collective of dance addicts, we still live within our own subculture groups (read: comfort zone) unique to the dances we love.

Salsa holics never understand the concept of too much salsa.

Ballroom dancers get bored with the lack of variety.

Latinos from the hood never understood what the fuss was about, it's just music & dancing.......

Swing dancers would have their preferences too........

Meanwhile, all the club grinders out there grind on :wink: ........

Once we understand our options, we shall make that informed choice & get our dance fix 8) ......

See you all out there somewhere :p !