General Dance Discussion > Training/Exercise??

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Newdancer81, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Newdancer81

Newdancer81 Active Member

Hey all,

I post on the salsa forum and this forum and even though I've decided most of my passion is in salsa, bachata and probably tango soon, I wanted to get a view on how much exercise/training you guys do since a lot of you seem to be experienced amateurs or semi-pro dancers.

Here's my exercise routine per week (it varies on which days):

2 hours of strength training
    2-3 hours of martial arts/MMA type stuff (incluiding flexibility training)
    1-2 hour full body workout
    2 hours of group dance lessons
    1-2 hours of private dancing instruction
    2 hours of social dancing

So I'm usually active 10 hours a week to a maximum of 13 hours. Will this hinder or help my dancing? I've noticed that if I try to do an MMA workout, followed by a private lesson followed by group lessons, my brain doesn't function anymore.

What are your exercise routines?

2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

3. armaniperez112

armaniperez112 New Member

That's really an effort! Anyway, I am just starting on some training or exercises. I must say that I do regular yoga now for like 4 times a week and everyday jogging. I enrolled in dance lesson and it takes like 2 hours every Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.

4. Newdancer81

Thanks, but 4 days of yoga and 2 hours x 3 days of dance for yourself is nothing to sneeze at either. I can't do yoga. It's the most exhausting thing for me. :)

5. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

My exercise routine is as follows:

1. Cardio of some sort: 4 hours worth a week. Usually interval training. This is general "gym cardio" or a jog outside.

2. Flexibility (yoga & ballet): 1-3 hours a week.

3. Ballroom & Latin lessons: 2-4 hrs week.

4. Ballroom & Latin rounds and practice: 4-8 hours a week.

5. Social dancing: 1 hr a week.

Of all this, yoga and ballet are probably the most important as it allows my muscles to heal. Without these exercises I'm miserable.

6. Newdancer81

Wow. That sounds crazy. I count 7 to 15 hours of dance there. I thought that would be more than enough cardio. I'm not that familiar with ballroom, but I guess maybe it's more core than cardio?

danceronice likes this.
  7. MaggieMoves

Dance is more fun than the gym, and I'm dating my practice partner... so it makes things rather easy to meet you.

The cardio I focus on at the gym is mostly interval training... either in sprints or on some sort of machine.

Newdancer81 likes this.
  8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Dance rarely equals cardio for me. If I'm running full-out rounds, or working on flow in QS, sure... but those are maybe an hour or two a week if I average them out. Usually, dance practice/lessons/class barely get my heart rate up higher than "moderate stroll".

You'll likely find the same as you improve... technical improvements mean you'll expend less energy to deliver the same effect, plus you'll be in increasingly better shape.

9. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

It can be cardio, generally anaerobic, when running competition rounds or otherwise dancing full-out. But while working on little sections or pieces of choreography, it can be relatively low intensity. So I end up supplementing as well, usually with HIIT strength-training plus biking to/from as many things as possible.

Newdancer81 likes this.
  10. MaggieMoves

Ditto technique improvements meaning less energy spent. You're eventually going to need cardio to fill back into your exercise routine.

11. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Between practicing with his professional partner and lessons with several open level students, Pro is insanely fit without any extra exercise. I don't think most people with regular jobs have time to dance that much, however!

12. Newdancer81

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. However, I don't do any of the slow dances anymore so it's still a bit of a workout. At the same time, I know your body gets used to exercise and gets more efficient at using energy, which means you burn less fat. I just don't think I can do 4-6 hours of dance plus another 10-15 hours of other exercise lol.

13. MaggieMoves

The slow dances I find to be more of a workout. Nothing like a super slow international rumba to make your legs and core spasm.

Of the standard dances, I also think the waltz is the hardest workout too. The slow dances you need to work harder to fill that "empty space."

SwayWithMe likes this.
  14. Newdancer81

Well that makes sense to work out your core and be more toned, but not sure if it helps with conditioning. I do notice with faster dances, a lot of people are exhausted after 3-4 minutes of a dance but I can keep going. Maybe the mixed martial arts has helped my endurance a lot and I don't feel that "burn" after a slow dance lol.

15. MaggieMoves

Need to work on your hip/body action more then, especially in Latin. My pro/coach has me exaggerate my Latin movements so i can do it more... it's honestly one of the most exhausting parts of dance for me. A super slow international rumba can be torture.

16. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

As is a slow standard foxtrot

MaggieMoves and stash like this.
  17. MaggieMoves

Please no more! :(

I promise I'll be good! More Viennese please! :D

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

LOL maggie the mrs and i practice "slow rounds" at -20% speed to work on on articulating every action and taking the extra time to work on intent and emotion. as as "quick muscle" girl these drive her nuts I'm constantly saying "slow down...speed...music"etc

MaggieMoves likes this.
  19. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I remember the first lesson an old partner and I had on slow foxtrot. She was pretty new, I had a bit more experience. When the instructor decided it was time to try what we'd been working on to music, partner was all: "put on a *really* slow one". To which my reaction was, of course, "No, it's a trap!" :D

20. Roney

Roney New Member

Great effort!!