General Dance Discussion > Tricky Moves

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

So which moves have you learned to do that you find tricky for whatever reason?

I mentioned the sailor shuffle already in the swing forum.

In cha-cha I learned one where the leader takes the follow into cross hands position and using a fake step 1-2-3-4 takes her into a sweeheart to his right. On the next 1-2 he reverses position to the other side with the follow to his left and releases her left hand with his and positions it on her back. He then goes forward with her on the next 1-2-3 and taking his and her right hand above his head turns again to the original sweet heart position on the following 1-2. Now, after this he will do another forward 1-2-3 followed of course with the 1-2 but in a stationary position. After this he will fake step 1-2-3-4 and take her back to the starting position.

The tricky part is during the forward movement on the 1-2-3 in keeping the follow parallel. The hand behind her back is suppose to guide her, but does not always work. Also doing a another fake step after a 1-2 can be tricky.

Who else is familar with this pattern? Suggestions appreciated. :)

2. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

This one took me an eternity to figure out, but when I finally got it, I was deleriously happy!

Two Hand Continuous Turn (or Touch and Go):

(used in Hustle, Two-Step and Salsa, though I sneak it into EC Swing as well :wink: )

On the "touch and go" the leader holds the girl's right hand with his right and the girls' left with his left. Right hands are placed over left hands.This is the initial position. After that, the leader turns the girl clockwise by lifting both hands. When girl has turned half way, the left hand is released to allow her to go all the way around. When girl has turned a full 360, the left hands touch momentarily as though to give her momentum for the next turn. Thus "touch and go". On the last turn the left hands reconnect at the end. Final position -> left hands over right hands.

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I like the chacha move where you
    1> Cross hands right over left (open break)
    2> Turn her to right side by side position
    3> Move her top left side by side
    4> Progress forward and complete a half turn to the left while turning the lady 1½ turns to the left and ending in right side by side
    5> if desired, repeat by going to step 3 again

Do you know the move I'm talking about?
    You can also do this in hustle.

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Phil Owl,
    This sounds very familiar. Have you heard of the "phantom turns" in WCS? If you have . . . is this the same thing?
    If it is, I use them a lot in WCS, usually doing only 3 of them though. However, with my wife, we are working on doing 3 with her, count 4 we switch, and she leads 3 phantom turns, 5,6 7, and 8 we get back to normal . . .

We also use them in 3 other dances . . .