Country and Western > triple step and shuffle

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by little lulu, Jun 26, 2007.

1. little lulu

little lulu New Member

Hi, I'm from France. I go to line dancing classes here in Normandy, and we are having discussions about the difference between triple step and shuffle. This might sound very silly, but since I speak English, I was sent on a mission: find out from Americans what they would say the difference is.

I hope this is the right place to ask this type of questions.... Please help!

2. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Hi, little lu lu!

I assume that by "triple step" you mean the dance that is also sometimes referred to as "triple two step." I dance triple two step, but not shuffle. I think the difference is in the placement of the walk-walk steps, i.e., in triple two step the pattern is "triple step, triple step, walk walk." In shuffle, the walk-walks are first, then the two triple steps. There are other difference that have to do with shaping, but I'm not sure what those differences are.

There are probably others around that do both dances who can help clarify my (possibly inaccurate) description.

Welcome to DF!

3. little lulu

little lulu New Member

jsfkljlqsd

4. little lulu

little lulu New Member

Thanks for answering my message. I don't mean the dances "shuffle" and "triple step", what I mean is the steps in a dance.

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Shuffle means to move ones feet with really lifting them off the ground.

Triple step to me would be taking three syncopated steps...in less than three beats. This happens in cha cha cha. It also is in east coast swing, lindy, West Coast Swing....

6. kayak

kayak Active Member

I'm not real good with the descriptions. So better dancers will hopefully correct me if I miss anything. Both are basically a chasse'. The triple step is led with the lower body center and more angle in the hips while a shuffle is led with the middle body center and hips that are also more centered. ChaCha triples are led with the upper body center and often a lock step.

So a dance like Polka has the rhythmic bounce if I lead it with my upper body center and then smooths and creates the flatter look of Triple-Triple if I lead with my lower body center. The same for Triple 2-step. To create the smooth body shaping of the dance and big circular pattern, the lead is from the lower body center. As the tempo of the music increases, basically the same footwork is led from the middle/upper body center and it becomes what some people call Progressive Swing.

7. tulsadancer

tulsadancer New Member

In this part of the country (Oklahoma and Missouri) they are basically the same dance with timing 1&2, 3&4, 5 6 or triple-step, triple-step, walk walk. Some people start on the walking steps instead of a triple-step. The main difference I see is competitively (UCWDC), we tend to do 'running' steps where the feet pass on every step whereas socially we do chasses. There is also much more shaping involved in the competitive version.

8. kayak

kayak Active Member

I actually really like the extra body shaping. The bummer is our DJs don't seem to pick music that seems to fit it properly? Then things kind of straighten out.

It is the line dance instructor at the local bar that mentions the difference between a shuffle and triple step.

9. cowboydancer

cowboydancer New Member

In line dancing, a shuffle is a chasse where the feet remain in touch with the floor at all times.

A tripple-step the feet actually come off the floor briefly between steps. But, in reality, the two are pretty much inter changable. If you do one instead of the other you can still get through the dance.

In partner dances, well your question opens a can of worms in this neck of the woods (Texas/Oklahoma).

There is the Dallas Shuffle, the Fort Worth Shuffle, the Shuffle, the Tripple Two-Step, Tripple Two, Double Progressive Two-Step, Progressive.

All of these are pretty much the same dance with some slight differences in styling and foot placement. Think of them as second cousins or kissing cousins.

The BIG differences that I've seen is the "Fort Worth Shuffle" has a lot more left turning moves than the Dallas Shuffle. In competition, there is more shaping. Between Progressive and Tripple two there are differences which I just don't have the vocabulary to describe. I could show you! :D but that's kinda hard to do in an email.

I have noticed that which one is done seems to be very bar specific. Hope this helps!

--Tony

10. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Salut Lulu,
    D'un Parisien (qui parle aussi l'anglais), le plus corriger des réponses est. ...

Not to be rude to the non french speakers, I said, "I am a binational Parisian/American, I feel this to be the most correct (accepted) answer...." :)

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jusmy2(ents:

The Shuffle is three steps to two beats of music:

1. Step forward with your left foot.
    & Quickly bring your right foot next to your left foot and step down
    2. Quickly step forward with your left foot
    Just reverse these steps for a right foot lead. This move is sometimes refered to as a step-together-step or even a Polka step. The Shuffle step differs from the CHA CHA Step in that there is NO rocking motion involved.
    The SHUFFLE STEP can also be called as TRIPLE STEP

A Cautionary Note:

In many ways the Shuffle Step is similar to the Triple Step and Cha Cha Cha. The main difference, however, is that it remains facing the line of travel and does not have a side lead as may be used in the Triple Step. Ankle action is not as pronounced as in the Triple Step with the feet being slid along the floor hence its similarity to "shuffling". The rhythm is 1/2, 1/2, 1 (Half, Half, One).

Triple Step is a generic term for dance step patterns that describes three steps done on two main beats of music. Usually they are two quick steps and one slow one, i.e., often they are counted as "quick-quick-slow", "one-and-two", "three-and-four", etc.
    Some dances have a pattern known as such: "triple step". In some other dances it is referred to as the shuffle step.
    Some triple steps are performed in a chasse-like manner: "side step, together, side step". The "cha cha chasse" is an example of this kind of a triple step. In some other cases the steps may be done in place.
    Some dances, e.g., many swing dances have several variants of triple step.