Swing Discussion Boards > Triple Step, your thoughts at fast tempos

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by jdavidb, Mar 4, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

d nice is very good at breaking things down. :cool: He was an invaluable resource, for the couple of years that he was a mod here. He's still active in dance, but more in blues than swing, if google is to be believed. When I get a chance, I'll read through and bump up some of his other stuff. :)

I actually bumped this thread because of something ECBB asked last week, but I haven't seen ECBB since last week. *sigh*

2. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

I've been noticing that kind of trend with a lot of Lindy Hop dancers...they start focusing more and more on Blues. Some leave the Lindy scene entirely. Some do come back though.

And yeah, I hope ECBB comes back, too. It was nice to have other people to discuss swing dancing with. :(

3. pygmalion

Maybe there's a natural progression from one to the other. *shrug* r maybe it's not as in style as is used to be. Or maybe laid-back blues is a better fit as you get older, because it's mellow and easier on the body. Hmm.I think spitfire started a thread about the thinning lindy scene some time ago. I'll see if I can find it and, if I can, I'll bump it up.

I think d nice might be a little unique because he's a dance historian, a dance teacher, does workshops nationally and (I think) internationally, AND has a day job. :D So who had time to be immersed in two different dance scenes?

Workin on it. ;)

4. bookish

bookish Active Member

In swing there's an expression/song lyric, "T'aint what you do, it's the way that you do it." Blues is that x10. Rather than "do I want to do a swingout now, or a passby, or circle and some Charleston?" it's more like "do I want to do more with my feet now, or my hips, or my chest, or with connection/stretch?" I mean, you can think that way in Lindy too, and I'm trying to do that more, it's just not what gets taught from day 1. Plus, blues is usually slower so you can explore new ideas more easily, and maybe the music is closer to contemporary tastes than swing jazz.

As for speed, "medium" and "fast" depend on training. I think somewhere around 160-170bpm is a good place to put the marker for "medium Lindy," but at first it seems fast.

5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

6. pygmalion

Yeah. I was looking at some blues clips the other day and, depending on who the dancers were, it was like completely different dances. I saw elements of so many other dances, I assume based on the dancers' backgronds. It's like there's unlimited freedom to dance whatever you want, as long as you dance with your partner and interpret the music. Nice.

7. bookish

bookish Active Member

If Damon were here he might disagree with the "unlimited" part ;) But there's a lot of variety, partly from dancers' individual styles and partly from different historical styles of music and dance that have been combined. For example, ballroomin', which uses more traveling and momentum-based moves and looks a bit foxtrot/Lindy/tango with blues attitude and posture, and jukin', which travels less and uses more body isolations. And, to keep it tied to tempo and triple steps, there's also struttin', which is partnered jogging and can be easily done at faster tempos, and triple-step blues, which is generally 6-count step-step triple-step triple-step like ECS, but the pulse is different and it's important not to do a rock-step or Damon will throw a shoe at you ;)

8. pygmalion

Definitely want to avoid doing anything that causes flying footwear. lol.