Swing Discussion Boards > Turning my garage into a place to practice!

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by JazzyTapDancer07, Dec 14, 2003.

1. JazzyTapDancer07

JazzyTapDancer07 New Member

Oh my goodness guys!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me!! I REALLY wana turn my garage... or part of it ne ways... into a studio type thing to practice in. I want to put mirrors on the walls and have dance floors and a ballet barre! I've been looking everywhere for someone to help me or places i can go to get help!! PLEASE help me if you have any ideas! j

Thank you!

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

3. JazzyTapDancer07

JazzyTapDancer07 New Member

thanks

Ya I saw those links and I checked em out! Thank you but I guess I more of need a acctuall name of a construction worker or someone who has done this before to answer a few questions! But thanks anyways!

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi JazzyTapDancer07! Welcome to the forums! :D

I'll google for more info, and keep you posted if I find anything.

Jenn

5. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Depending on your location, try a home improvement warehouse for the basics - air conditioner unit, lumber etc. It's REALLY easy to finish off a garage space into a room - especially if your garage is attached to your house and already has electricity. :) The helpful folks at Lowe's/HD will be glad to assist you in the basics.

Also, laying a floor is so easy. If you want a "sprung floor", the basics of laying out a grid made of 2x4s and a sub-floor of plywood are the first step. Then, pick out whatever flooring you want to go over it if you want a "finished" look. A flooring liquidator is good if you are trying to get laminate flooring to go down over your subfloor. Laminate flooring is near indestructible and as long as it is laid over a sprung sub-floor, will not cause damage to joints (shin splints, etc). DO NOT lay laminate flooring over bare cement and expect to come away injury free if you dance on it! No give whatsoever!

My uncle is a builder, and I've gotten all my home improvement tips from him, but I don't have him build stuff for me (yet) as it's way to expensive. I'm a DIY girl myself!

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Vince A has done the same thing with his garage, so he'd probably be a good person to ask questions of.

. . . and welcome to the Forums! :D

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

We have PM'd each other, and I have sent all the plans and instructions to her!!!

She sounded excited to get started . . .

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member