General Dance Discussion > TV Dance Shows

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Something you really don't see anymore :(

Any favorites, favorite moments or things you remember? Did any influence you to start dancing?

Your thoughts here:

2. Pass It On

Pass It On New Member

I would love to see some of the old episodes of Dick Clark's American Bandstand.
    I've tried to find copies of old episodes, but it seems that Dick doesn't want to make that possible. There is surely a gold mine of dance history that is being kept from the public...good thing we have file sharing these days to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future.

Does anybody have any American Bandstand episodes on tape?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I see what you mean Pass It On.
    I searched Google, Amazon, Ebay, and Kazaa and I found zilcho (that's zero).
    It really bothers me that this incredible archive of Swing and Hustle (and much more) is being withheld from the public. Thanks a bundle, Mr. Clark, or can I call you...

The only other shows I can remember were Sooouuuul Train and, of course, MTV.

4. Phil Owl

Such a shame that that kind of history is being sat on by greedy people. :x

This Owl has half a mind to swoop down on some of these guys at full ramming speed, talons out and hooting as loud as possible! :evil:

But anyhoooooooo (couldn't resist, thanks to SD Salsaguy ;) ), Dance Fever was fun for me to watch, and it got me to take ballroom dancing lessons to boot!

Amongst many things, I LOVED many of the sexy Hustle routines (they made such difficult moves look so effortless, like what's been called a Pot-Stir or Cork Screw) , plus as the 80's wore on, lots of good swing, latin and tango stuff I saw. There was one couple who did this Arabic/Middle Eastern thing using HUGE scimitars (curved swords), and good 'ol Denny cautioned us viewers "Don't try this at home" (DUH!!!). Another time, I saw what had to be the most original mix of slapstick comedy and foxtrot ever! It looked like this couple was having a bad night at first, but then it became obvious that it was INTENTIONAL (I think they won that night too).

ABC Family is actually reviving the show this summer I've heard.

5. Laura

Laura New Member

They've been having dancers on Star Search lately. Most of them seem to be solos or dance teams, but West Coast Swing dancers Jordan & Tatiana were on a couple of times.

6. Phil Owl

Jordan and Tatiana were dynamite too! They were also on "30 Seconds to Fame" which also had a great Salsa couple on. Hopefully things like this will spark more interest on the network's part eventually. Would be nice! ;)

7. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

eh, they have the new FAME..but it's not that great. at least they have the ___s go get up on stage in front of the whole nation. :D

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Did anybody other than me grow up on dance shows? Where I grew up (Philly), there were a couple local or semi-local shows: Steel Pier (based in NJ), and Dancin' on Air, a locally produced show. Then, of course, there were American Bandstand, Sooouuull Train (gotta LOVE Don Cornelius! :D ) and Solid Gold. I have to say, Soul Train had the best moves, until it went syndicated. After that, it had the sexiest females. Either way, it was a good show, back in the day. :D

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. And I forgot Jerry Blavat, a fifties-era doowop radio/record/dance promoter, who hung in there until the late seventies in the Philadelphia music scene. Props to good old Jerry. Definitely from another era (pre-syndicated radio), but extremely influential, in his time. :D

10. Phil Owl

About '78 or so, there was "Soap Factory" which eminated from NJ, it was disco and the dancers were good, and there was "Hot City" that came out of LA at the same time.

11. Quimbly

Quimbly New Member

IMO, there seems to be a resurgence of dance TV shows happening of late, especially in the Reality-TV genre: Dancing with the Stars, Ballroom Bootcamp, So You Think You Can Dance, and I'm sure there are others.

I'm loving it! And with the success of Dancing With The Stars and So You Think You Can Dance, I suspect that there may be more similar shows in the future.