General Dance Discussion > Two questions

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by glance2, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Agreed. Do Your Homework!

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I view it as--class is for steps. Privates are for technique. Even the class called "technique"--the only person qualified to make corrections doesn't have time to fix everyone. I take the classes to reinforce the steps, and worry about the details with my privates, though I always try to put on the finishing details when I can (like today remembering where my pro wants my hand in the cha cha fifth position breaks.)

3. glance2

glance2 New Member

Now I am getting confused. Both of the instructors of the two classes I’m taking offer privates. I was thinking of trying out the privates at another studio to get a different perspective.

My WCS class does not end for a few sessions, and the instructor does offer more levels. I will probably continue with this group.

My salsa class ends soon, but there is no intermediate class. It was originally scheduled, but there are not enough students. He changed the level from beginner to open level to accomodate lack of students.

Would it be wise to start privates with this teacher? Or shall I look for another studio that offers higher levels of salsa? Some of the studios bundle privates with classes. If I start in with another studio, then I’m wondering if I have to start at beginner level again (not that I would mind, I could always use the help)

4. Laura

Laura New Member

I see an opportunity here...try a few lessons with this person, see how you like them, and then have them bring you up to the level of his next class so you will feel comfortable taking it.

5. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Laura's post is good. You have an established interest where you are. If you are happy with this teacher, ask to be taken further...privates. If you can combine groups and privates with like instruction (same or relevant teacher), you are better for it. If you then choose to seek other ops, having experienced this teacher's lessons, you are better educated both in what you have learned, and in what you are seeking.

6. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Partially true-- one must dispense technique, to a greater or lesser degree,--e.g. waltz, without R and F. , would be foxtrot .

The exception to that rule-- a " Medal " test class , which is geared specifically to that end .. Even then, difficult to teach nuance .

7. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

OK, you have general rules and you have reality.

General rule: group classes are for steps; privates are for technique.

Reality: In group classes you learn the basics of the dance and then you learn steps. In the process, you get exposed to technique. At times when the instructor sees that most of the class has a problem, he/she will concentrate on that part of technique. At the very least, the student is made aware of the technique that needs to be learned and starts to learn it. At the same time, through class rotation the student gets a chance to try to apply what he/she has learned about the steps and technique.

In privates, the student can work directly with the instructor on specific problems or specific goals. Ideally and in accorandance with the general rule, those specific problems would be technique. However, the student could also want to work on a specific step that he's having problems with. Or to learn a new step or move that's not being covered in the group classes or that the student has missed by not making it to the group classes.

8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Best of both worlds is when groups (which are free) are either jsut me and pro, or just me and one or two of my favorite follows. With the single couple, pro gets to teach us step AND the technique to go with it. :)

But yeah, general rule of steps vs techniques does hold overall, always with some exceptions. Even in big groups, iv'e picked up some useful technique, from one teacher in particular (actually, think it just sticks out because in general I DON'T like that teacher and tend not to find his teaching helpful).

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Also beware of taking too many classes, getting overloaded with steps, so that either you jsut plain forget them, or you remember them, but since you never got any real detail work on them, you're practicing them with glaring mistakes in technique that will take lots of work in private to iron out. I suffer from that mistake at times. Esp. now that new bronze curriculum was added. For a while, classes were basically jsut for me to review and practice as I knew most all the steps they were teaching at that level. They added social bronze curriculum in addition to advanced curriculum I'm in, and I've since been trying to adjsut my class attendance. Still like the extra practice, and always want to learn, but if you're learning ten new steps in a week, and only have one private, it's jsut too much, even if you're in every day to practice like me (otuside of groups and privates).

10. glance2

glance2 New Member

Currently, I am having the time of my life. But, does anyone ever suffer from Dancing Burnout? Or does the money/time run out before burnout sets in?

11. Laura

Laura New Member

Oh god yes.

That depends on how much money and/or time one has, and how easily one burns out! :)

12. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Well, you just need to pace yourself. For example, I try to limit myself to 2 or 3 hours of classes a day.

OBTW, did I mention that I'm shifting from 6 days a week to 7? I'll be doing a salsa class Saturday mornings.

A couple years ago when another divorced guy my age overheard my dance schedule, he comment, "That sounds about right. And then you drop from exhaustion." Looks like I'm not the only one, but it looks like I'm getting more distance than some.

13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Absolutely. I actually cancelled my second group today for this very reason. And that was even though first group was nothing new, was just review.

Though worst burnout and mini nervous breakdown wasn't from too much dancing, per se, but from stressing out about first comp.

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lol... for me that's definitely the case. but others may be dancing/studying more... and that's intense stuff.

15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Haven't had burnout yet - in fact this is the first time I have heard of it. If life is to dance then what happens when dance stops???

16. etp777

etp777 Active Member

You keep thinking about dance, you just take a break from the stresses/burnout of trying to learn new stuff. :)

The dance never stops of course though. Think about it, randomly do it in grocery stores, walking down street, etc. Dream about it, plan your budget, your time, your vacation around it. I'm not an addict or anything though. ;)

17. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I don't have time for burnout. The three/four (depends on scheduling) jobs doesn't leave me any time for dance burnout. I didn't even burn out on skating, I just didn't have time or money! (I may have found a way to get paid for skating, instead of the other way round, though.)

My group classes may be an odd case, as I take two or four a week and they're all taught by the same instructor. As far as I can tell, they're designed around the bronze closed routines, but are accessible to social dancers. Though forty-five minutes of learning to walk in International Rhumba might have driven your average social dancer insane today. One is supposed to be a technique class, but I really do think you can only sorta kinda get much out of it without an instructor individually correcting you. (Like today, I know I was having issues with my hips in rhumba. When the instructor's in head-to-toe black it's hard to see what he's doing with his, and I can't interrupt with a question that might be more complicated than he wants to get into at the moment, even if it's just "What exactly is the hip action with this step?" So file under "save it for a private." Except of course I'm not doing Latin in privates, but still.)

18. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

Of course not. You can stop any time you choose to. ;)

19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Me too. Anytime I choose to loose my legs or stop my heart I can quit dancing. Tis easy!

20. meow

meow New Member

I have heard of dancing burnout but I don't think that is really what it is. Usually you find that it is a bad partnership or a partnership breakup. Then someone can give up dancing but I think for the wrong reasons. Why give up dancing when you can move on to a different partnership? So, burnout? No. More like they can't put in the effort to move on.