General Dance Discussion > Two questions

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by glance2, Aug 4, 2007.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

We were talking about that yesterday. I wonder if more women suffer burnout than men? One problem (maybe just here) is that when a partnership breaks up the woman has to go back to 'pick-up' dancing at social studipos whereas the man generally can find a new partner. thats a pretty daunting prospect after, say, dancing at competition level...

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Have to dis agree-- there is a high profile couple from the UK . who danced and competed at the highest levels ( and won some ) and after retiring from the " circuit " never taught or danced again-- reason -- burnout . Could quote others, who have had similar experiences .
    The Uk, was, at one point , unique in the world of ballroom. Many kids , me included , were ushered off to dance schools as tots- 75 % after reaching young adulthood, and many yrs of training, after some success , disappeared from the scene.
    Many pro,s, are not into " teaching " as a career, particularly the female side of the partnership( a loss, in many cases )

I happen to be one of a small percentage , who never left .
    I do also realise, that as one gets older, careers and family may play a big part in abscence .

3. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I wonder if the burnout is from dancing itself. From what I see (and have felt), it's more likely to be something in the context--partnership problems, competition stress, bad social scene, etc. Does anyone who loves to dance one day say "I'm just sick of dancing"? Hard to imagine for me.

4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Come to think of it, I did have a conversation with one woman who had competed at open and done very well. She expressed the opinion that she could not continue as she could not hope to reach the same level she was at before. So, at least for competitive dancers, maybe being a type A contributes to burnout? In which case I had better watch it! :)

5. tj

tj New Member

Lol, we're all such a bunch of dance fiends...

Makes me smile. :)

6. tj

tj New Member

Observation regarding burnout:

The fewer types of dances that you dance or the smaller the dance scene that you participate in, will contribute to burnout.

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Hmm. So not much hope for a solo pole dancer....

8. MrBroadway

MrBroadway New Member

Oh! Is THAT what "DF" stands for? ;)

Hmm - maybe so, but it's not just that. OK, maybe it's not burnout, but there are times that I feel temporarily "danced out" - there are all those OTHER things in my life that I want to do too, but those things sometimes get squeezed out by dancing (lessons, practice sessions, comps, social dancing, looking at videos, ...). So - there have been times over the years that I take breaks - a week, two, a month? - until I start going into "dance withdrawal" and really want to dance again.

9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Oh, you forgot eating sleeping and breeding...

10. meow

meow New Member

I think that problem is worldwide. Men do have an easier time of it when trying to find a new partner. But, if you a good female dancer with experience than that is what the male is looking for. So, if the female is 'up there' then they can usually get a new partner. Being seen on the comp floor can help - if you are a good dancer and get some good results this gets who you are circulating. So, if you have a partnership breakup then it is easier to find a new partnership.:)

11. glance2

glance2 New Member

Is this a numbers game? More women than men, easier for men to find a partner?

Or is it because men are more likely to query than women?

Or maybe men are less competent dancers reducing their numbers? (my insecurities are showing)

12. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Just a numbers game--more women than men (no reason for insecurity, you'll be in demand!)

13. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Numbers also tend to be different at different levels. For example, CNN did a story four years ago (http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/10/21/calfornia.bachelors.ap/) which showed that, while the national ratio of single men to single women was 86 to 100, a few places reported that in Orange County (the Orange County, the one in So. Calif.) single men outnumbered single women -- although the article does not give the OC ratio, it was less than Sunnyvale's 113 men to 100 women.

When I overheard that, I muttered to myself some German (which over the years I've mainly been using for swearing). But it turns out that those figures are skewed by a large immigrant labor force which is predominantly young single males. So single men outnumber women in the younger groups, but as we approach the age of 50 and go beyond, single women increasingly outnumber the single men.

I would think that the level of dancing would have an analogous effect on the male/female ratios. At the lower levels, women seem to outnumber men, though I've been finding that most of my group classes are fairly balanced and sometimes we even have a few more men than women -- though in the vast majority of my salsa classes I've seen nearly twice as many men as women (also a lot of the guys were younger and Hispanic, so it might be that OC effect). From the "beginner's hell" article, I would assume that in the lower levels we see more women because they are more likely to take dancing (with men generally having machismo and self-consciousness issues) and women are more likely to experience success earlier while guys would tend to get frustrated with their struggling and be more likely to give up. Then, according to the same article, the guys finally start succeeding and advance quickly while the women suddenly find that they have to work a lot harder to be able to advance and many of them get frustrated and quit that dance for another one.

So, it seems to make a lot of sense that there are more women than men in the lower skill levels (beginning through intermediate and into advanced). Any man who's trying and make some progress will certainly be in demand. I have less of a feel for the numbers in the higher level.

14. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Double congratulations to the mean who stick it out and get better!

Let's hear it for men who dance!

15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I suppose you meant men! I don't really want to see more meanies in dance...

At the 'higher levels'? From my own experience (if you call gold 'higher') and from talking to others I think there is just a general shortage of partners and though we are all conscious of a lack of dancers of the opposite sex, the same feeling is expressed by both. Really the issue comes down to finding a match at all.

16. glance2

glance2 New Member

I’m going through a quarter-life beginner’s crisis.

As you know, based on the phenomenal consensus advice here, I’ve been shopping around for studios, classes, privates, etc. OK, I’m taking a first private from a friendly teacher (that has a pushy, sign up for pay-in-advance-lesson-package NOW assistant/front desk).

We start with a Salsa basic and it is different than what I am accustomed to. Same counts, but feet are really never parallel with each other which I am used to. One foot is always ahead or in back (this is the best way my meager experience can describe this). Before I go into complete overload, I somehow get the hang of it.

This leaves me with some beginnner-disturbing questions. How does a beginner supposed to handle these variations? Is this not a wise idea to search outside my comfort zone? How do I know if this variation is what’s being used or some rogue dance step?

I do like the teacher and I learned many things about technique.

17. kayak

kayak Active Member

I'm assuming you mean that after the QQ, the S is slightly behind instead of feet together? It is a very common slight modification in the salsa basic. Either works, but many find it really makes the dance feel smoother.

18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Yep, certainly normal and not something to worry about.

19. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

There are lots of variations possible for many steps. The best bet for a beginner is to find a teacher you trust and stick with what he/she teaches you. As you progress, you'll be able to explore the variations without getting confused.

20. tj

tj New Member

An issue for you in learning salsa is that there are several different major styles with different steps, and at this point in your learning, it's probably not a good idea to try to simultaneously learn more than one at a time.

Make sure you know which style you are being taught. An instructor calling it just salsa or just mambo isn't enough information. They should be able to tell you (and will probably include a snarky remark about why you shouldn't learn the other styles).