General Dance Discussion > Two questions

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by glance2, Aug 4, 2007.

1. glance2

glance2 New Member

Why do instructors do this? As I am trying out different classes and studios, I sometimes get the third degree. I'm sorry, but every instructor thinks that their method is THE BEST. I feel that all teachers have strengths and weaknesses. After all, we are all human.

Even your dance shoes can elicit a host of questions as to where you got them?, how did you hear about it?, why did you go there?, what did you have for dinner? etc etc.

I really don't want to be bad mouthing other teachers or be the source of fuel for someone's fire. How do you handle this professionally? If you put up an obstacle to their interrogation, I feel like I will fall into the "unfavorable" category.

It's almost like I'm the kid and my divorced parents are looking for gossip about each other.

2. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Be vague. Say something like "oh, I'm just exploring different options now to see where I feel most comfortable." If they have any sense, they'll stop making you feel uncomfortable. And if they don't, then you know where you don't need to return.

3. Laura

Laura New Member

I think this is a sign of insecurity amongst the teachers. I've taken from many different teachers at many different studios over the years, and none of them have ever pulled that kind of stuff with me.

When you find someone who isn't all in your face about you shopping around, maybe that's the one to stick with?

4. tj

tj New Member

I agree with Laura and waltzgirl - it seems that the inappropriate snarkiness tends to be worse in salsa than in ballroom, although I admit my exposure to ballroom is a lot less.

5. glance2

glance2 New Member

As a follow-up, the self-appointed "teacher" has not returned to class since my last update.

I was talking to other students and a female student was wondering where the "teacher" was and remarked how well she danced. One male student chimed in and said he was tired of her correcting him. At last sighting, the "teacher" said he was off rhythm and he retorted that she was the one that was off. I guess at the next rotation, he said he was right because they did better.

She never returned.

6. glance2

glance2 New Member

I’m updating this thread about my ongoing dance journey. The present Salsa teacher was excellent for a beginner, but now, in his intermediate class, he really has not taught anything new. I’m in the process of changing classes again.

I am a little distressed after trying out a new intermediate class. The teacher did not break down any of the steps, just went at the routine several times with the partner. No real feedback to the students, just a lot of show and tell. I can’t speak much for the men (cause I don’t dance with them) but about half of the women there were confused, too.

Is this normal? Have I been living a sheltered dance life?

7. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Maybe the teacher is teaching at the same pace as he/she did for the beginner class and needs to slow things down a bit. The patterns should be broken down, especially if they are longer and more complicated so you can piece the elements together instead of just memorizing some fancy routine.

I'd go to the teacher(s) and ask them to explain things more in depth if the majority of the class is confused, otherwise it's only going to become frustrating. If worse comes to worst, take a private lesson to get caught up on the details of the intermediate syllabus.

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I can guarantee you that if you were confused, the leads were doubly so.

9. glance2

glance2 New Member

The teacher danced with his partner in the center of the circle. The rest of us were paired up around the circle. Is this normal? I find it really difficult to learn steps when the teacher is facing a different angle than me.

10. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

In more advanced Lindy classes I've seen that done, since everybody should be able to work that out on their own. However, in most classes the teacher has every leader face in the same direction. Not to make it easier for the students, but rather to make it easier for the teacher to spot who's doing it wrong.

11. etp777

etp777 Active Member

What Dwise1 said. The only exception was a more basic class on cuban motion/latin styling but that's because we were all working singly male or female, so Jack had us all in big circle around him so he could turn around and see all of us.