Ballroom Dance > Videos > Two Terrific Tangos!!! Which do you like best?

Discussion in 'Videos' started by ashybang, Sep 7, 2008.

1. ashybang

ashybang New Member

This is a close call for me.:confused: They are both fantastic.

Maybe i slightly favour Mirko & Alessia here.:wink:

I love the music Jonathan & Katusha dance to.

2. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Mirko and Alessia's dancing looks a bit more fluid; however, I kind of like the fact tha Jonathan and Katusha seem to realize they have partners, given it's a tango.

3. ashybang

ashybang New Member

Hee hee hee. Oh yes ! Mirko & Alessia do appear to give of an `air of indifference` :|
    Their dancing is very much together though!

I take your point on board. Jonathan & Katusha = less :-| more :together:

4. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

(Assuming a superior air ...) I know it may be hard for you to believe, but there are actually people out here who don't recognize these couples on sight. For the benefit of the uninitiated, it would be helpful to provide a label or other form of identification so we can more fully appreciate your insightful comments. (End superior air.)

Really, it would be nice to know who you're talking about. I also get kinda frustrated when people refer to competitors only by their first names. I know a lot of you know who they are, but not everyone does.

5. ashybang

ashybang New Member

Okay no problem.
    With no airs and graces whatsoever from me. - We are talking about the best dancers in the world here.

The couple in the first video are Mirko Gozzoli & Alessia Betti.
    These are the top couple in the world dancing Professional Standard.
    They have won virtually every title that is worth winning at the very highest level.
    They had a meteoric rise to Professional Champions shortly after winning Amateur at the highest level.

The couple in the second video are Jonathan Wilkins and Katusha Demidova. They have won many Professional Championships at the highest level including Showdance and Standard.
    Jonathan & Katusha have ended their partnership since this video, and with their respective new partners finished in 2nd and 3rd places behind Mirko Gozzoli & Alessia Betti at the British Championships held at Blackpool in May this year.
    The British Championships at Blackpool i believe, being the competition everyone wants to win.

I hope this helps you in identifying or labelling these magnificent dancers and eases your frustrations.

6. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Thanks very much! The additional background information is particularly helpful to those of us who don't follow the rankings.

7. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

I prefer the second ones, funnier to watch.

8. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

This having been said, and noted, I hated the first one...found myself wanting it to be over. Perhaps, I have just always been a Johnathan/Katusha fan, but I felt that their dance was more fluid; more fun; more connected to one another (both in dance and feeling). Ashybang, your comment about "indifference" is spot on. Though I was reared on this style, I really don't like, at all, as a dancer or adjudicator, what Int'l T has become.

A poster mentioned liking the music. Yes, the music is fun, though it is actually not a tango. It is a milonga by the nuevo tango group, Gotan.

9. ashybang

ashybang New Member

Oh WOW Golly Gosh ! !
    I`m a big fan of Jonathan & Katusha, they`ve danced brilliantly and figure in my all time favourite couples, yet i could watch Mirko & Alessia tirelessly too.
    To say you hated the first video is incredible. . . . . WOW Again.
    Oh well, we all have our loves and hates and each to their own, yes!

10. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Perhaps, it is a strong word, and no doubt has to do more with the dance than the dancers'. I have seen them dance before, and was OK. As I posted earlier, I was reared on this style of tango. Even when learning it, I felt that there was something severely wrong with it. It was this that urged me to seek out and study the Argentine style/s (which sort of became a specialty). I didn't like It'l tango then, and really don't like, at all, what it has become.