Tango Argentino > Ugly feet

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Peaches, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Why? If what you are doing works for you, then be happy. I break things down because I enjoy teaching and if I haven't thought it through, I don't know how I would explain it to someone else.

2. New in NY

New in NY New Member

The other day I actually did calculate how much money I have spent on group & private dance lessons over the past year. I don't recommend doing this.

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yeah, it works...for a given quantity of "works." :)

I actually like taking things apart and looking at them and thinking about them and pondering what I'm doing with my dancing. It gives my brain something fun to think about while I'm at work and letting other bits of my brain deal with more mundane tasks.

4. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Forgive me, please, for, but allow me to come in late. I have taught w/ Omar, and what he meant by the extended legs comment was that many follows are so intent on reaching for a line that they do not use the feet/legs to aid the movement...dead leg...(one that can not be used). He would also say that this results in the man having to carry the lady to place her on her weight. He hated that, and would add almost in a rhyming fashion, "Yo no puedo bailar, si tengo que llevarla" (I can not dance if I have to dance for her).

5. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

So, basically he was saying many follows have bad technique. Their posture and body positioning is wrong and maybe they consciously try to be stylised/ elegant by reaching with their leg stiffened and maybe they have a stiff standing leg too, which may add to the problem?

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh...it's starting to make a bit more sense now.

But can anyone explain to me what is meant by using the legs to aid movement? Or not using them to aid movement? Seems like they can't help but be involved...

7. bastet

bastet Active Member

I guess this is similar to what my main teacher calls "muebleria"- where the ladies are like furniture and have to be moved from place to place rather than being what he calls "active followers".

8. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

scary... I'm definitely not going to try that! I don't want to know..

9. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Most persons, most often, do not use the feet and legs properly. They do not push through the ball of the supporting foot. They do not bend/straighten the legs as they dance. Look around at how many persons dance w/ the knees constantly bent... never straightening the leg... never balancing in between the steps, but only after falling onto the step. This, and such, is what we are referring to.

10. widwitateax

widwitateax New Member

Last Page

Well as far as I know it goes 2 the last page uve viewed or something unless u press last page but maybe one of the other mods can help u a little bit more. Im not completely sure about this