Ballroom Dance > Uncontested heats - how to be sure there will be competition at the competition

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by flying_backwards, Jul 18, 2016.

1. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

From everything you've typed, best to avoid pro-am altogether. Enjoy am/am, and pace yourself financially so you can dance and live, too. You can space lessons out (fewer per month) and do other things to save costs. I am sure there are old threads here about stretching your dance budget.

Loki likes this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

That NQE is small do don't be discouraged. Go anyway and enjoy. I'll probably be there with the mrs

3. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

From O2cm I see in the Nov 2015 results for Bronze there were only 1 or 2 couples in the Senior I, II and III Standard but I see there were 6 couples in Bronze Adult Standard. Slightly more entries in Silver Standard but I doubt we'll be Silver by this December. We'll definitely still be Senior, at least that much is certain. :)

So the answer is to enter the Adult age bracket.

The other part of the answer someone mentioned was to get together with others on this forum and all go to the same comp. So, if there's any other Senior Bronze Standard couples out there, come join us at this one in December in Oakland. Let's fill a field with Dance Forum members!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  4. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

I find having to do single dances (which are usually divided in small age groups), most of which are contested in order to dance a scholarship or championship a very frustrating waste of money. The cost of the single dances is usually twice as much (when put together) than the cost of the scholarships or championships. On top of that, I have noticed a trend lately where people aren't even showing up to dance the single dances--they just register for them because they have to (and presumably pay the fee for it), and then only show up for the scholarship or multi-dance, making the single dances even more frustrating as you expect to have competition and in the end you don't. This happens a lot when the single dances and the multi- or scholarships in are two different sessions.

But I suppose as long as the entry fees are being paid, it doesn't matter if people show up to actually dance?

In the area where I live, am/am or pro/am people wait until the last minute to register even with late fees (for am/am especially the registration fees and late fees are still very small). They do this for a number of reasons--in case of injury, emergencies, travel issues and to see who else is registered. I don't know if it has changed lately, but o2cm stopped posting registrations before comps on their site.

Looking at past entries is really the only way to possibly gauge the amount of competitors, and even then is not a guarantee. Reaching out to people directly to ask them is probably the closest 'sure bet'.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  5. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

On the o2cm piece, it's no longer easy to see the registrations, but you can change register.o2cm.com to entries.o2cm.com when you've clicked on "Register" for a particular event and still get at it that way for many competitions.

6. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

At least many competitions are pretty good about giving direct links on their websites. The old way was vastly preferable from my point of view, but I wasn't the one having to manage the website.

stash likes this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

Flying--- just go to qualify for nationals. There will be good numbers there

stash and raindance like this.
  8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

FWIS, am-am at an NDCA event is almost guaranteed to be uncontested and a waste of time and money unless you just want the practice or are breaking in a new dress or just gotta have a First to lie... err... tell people about. Dance proficiency if they have it and get some marks.

USAD events have much more competition, but I've seen some uncontested heats there as well, depending on style and age. However USAD is a boatload cheaper.

Pro-am has been all over the board, depending on the comp.

It's a crapshoot IMO.

9. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

In USA dance, you can enter two levels. You can dance your bronze routines in silver. So if you two are new to competing together, I would suggest you enter bronze and silver standard in your own age group (might be senior 2 or 3, I don't know both of your ages), and just dance your bronze routines in both. And then you can also dance one age group younger, so dance that in bronze and silver as well.

I wouldn't recommend dancing in adult in your first comp as a non-college aged dancer, unless your regular age group is Senior 1 and adult is your next youngest age group available.

As Mr4styles mentioned, you will qualify for nationals if your heats are small, regardless of how you place. (If your heats are bigger you will need certain placements to qualify, I don't have it memorized but you can look it up.) If you can make the trip to nationals, your heats in bronze and silver standard for senior age groups should be decent size.

Also talk to your teachers/coaches about what to enter. But if your coaches aren't familiar with am/am USA dance comps (not all teachers are), then listen to dancers who are. ;-)

stash, Loki and Mr 4 styles like this.
  10. Mr 4 styles

Top 65 percent in heat to qualify for nationals

stash likes this.
  11. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

And also the bottom 35% in some cases... According to the '2016 DanceSport Rulebook Final 5-13-16.pdf' page 44, rule 4.3.6.3.3.1 "Events with only 3 USA Dance Athlete Couples or fewer - all couples qualify." So even an uncontested couple would qualify. So there is a valid reason to dance an uncontested heat at an NQE, to qualify to dance at the bigger national event. Well this brings the thread full circle.

raindance likes this.
  12. Mr 4 styles

Yep that is true. I've benefited from that rule before lol

dlliba10 likes this.
  13. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

My mindset at NQEs may completely change depending on whether my heat has 3 or 4 couples in it.

Mr 4 styles and stash like this.
  14. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Which is why the groundswell of anti NQE voices are being heard, since all that really happens in these events is money spent to show up. Many folks simply look for light competition and go there. Or just walk away...

15. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Hmm. Wondering if a couple could be awarded 4th place in a 3-couple event denying them a qualification to Nationals.

RiseNFall and Bailamosdance like this.
  16. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I get so confused when there are messages on am am USA dance versus Pro Am NDCA dances- it would seem to me that the two are totally different animals.
    As far as Pro Am, I too hate uncontested heats. But I also don't like the comps that allow a silver dancer or higher,to dance at the bronze level for example- because then it's impossible for me to have a fair chance. But of course, nothing in life is fair.

17. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

As a former pro-am dancer, and a am-am dancer for several years... I think they are indeed totally different animals. One is a very, very expensive animal. Not everyone can afford to get into that zoo. :) There are several local pro-am comps in my area (a few on the National-level) and the only reason we'd spend the money to dance there (package fee, travel, food) is if we need the floor time before a "real" comp (like an NQE). The expense, the expense! And there's just no competition in our events. Last year, at USDC, they do Amateur Champ Rhythm on the first day of events. We went to spectate. There was ONE couple on the floor for Champ Rhythm. What's the point of traveling to Orlando to dance for 15 minutes against... no one? However, at an all-am comp (USA Dance events, NQEs or locals), you're way more likely to dance against several other couples.

Say it with me: What is the #1 goal of a pro-am competition organizer? To make money. How does an organizer make money? By allowing dancers to enter as many heats as they like and pay X for each heat. Whenever you feel a pro-am sandbagging rant coming on, just repeat: What is the #1 goal of a competition organizer? It will not make you feel any better, but it does keep things in perspective. At least, it did for me. ;)

Rhythmdancer, debmc, nikkitta and 5 others like this.
  18. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I think your post deserves to be pinned, s2. Best one I've read on the topic!

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Nor were you the one constantly being e-mailed for info by competitors who should have been e-mailing organizers. ;)

20. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Thank you, Loki! I paid a lot of money once upon a time in order to become so wise! :hilarious:

Mr 4 styles likes this.