Ballroom Dance > Uncontested heats - how to be sure there will be competition at the competition

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by flying_backwards, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

S2k......BTDT also

2. Titoxd

Titoxd Member

Not as bad as seeing someone get a third place in an uncontested heat. I've seen that happen...

3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

FUBAB

4. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I've had that actually happen to me. Do an open routine in a closed bronze heat of Cha Cha. We danced for the crowd... and it was not well received by the judges... at least score wise.

Totally worth it! Rarely do you get to dance in a competition to one of your favorite songs. :dancingbanana:

cornutt, GJB and Dancey like this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Bad maggie........ :p

6. MaggieMoves

I never dance for the judges. What's the point in dancing so technically sound if no one enjoys it?

Besides it was basically a warm up heat.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Off to reeducation camp for you!

8. newcomerdivision

newcomerdivision New Member

Does that potentially sour the judge's opinion of you and influence your next heats? Or were you sure the judges would be different?

9. MaggieMoves

I'm willing to bet it does as it comes off as a bit unsportsmanlike. I can name one prominent judge who hates things like that.

Honestly though I've never danced for positions in pro am. Being a crowd favorite is much more fun anyway. Top 3 is suitable for me.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

in a word, "no"...but, as others have noted you can certainly make selections (age, level, comp) that give you a greater chance of competition....and a word about entering late;....in addition to it not making you an organizers's best friend, sometimes, if it means turning a multi from a final to a semi they may not do it...so beware of glitches if you want to dance the multis

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  11. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Yes I can see how late registration makes unnecessary extra hassle for the event organizers so I will not advocate that strategy.

I like the suggestion that DF members choose an event and all go to that one so we can get some full fields. I asked a DF moderator and she said it would be ok to start a new thread called "Lets all go to Nor-Cal NQE". I looked at their o2cm and it already shows one Standard couple registered. So there will be no mystery about uncontested heats, and no motivation to register late, unless one wanted to make a surprise appearance to avoid paparazzi ;)

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

only thing is, there might not be enough local dfers of similar style, age, and level...but you are free to try...I still think your best bet is to go to the comps that you know will be big and if you live in california you're in pretty good shape to begin with

13. flying_backwards

Maybe only a few DF members will go, but with such a small community, even one more couple is significant.

raindance likes this.
  14. Titoxd

Titoxd Member

As someone who often is between the keyboard and the chair at the registrar's table, add me to the chorus of people saying "please don't do this." Scheduling a competition's heats so that the most number of people get the most breaks possible to ensure there is a somewhat level playing field is hard enough as it is. You're also gambling on the scrutineer/registrar letting you do it ("Oh, there are are fourteen couples in this heat already? Nope, not adding a quarterfinal round just for you").

For competitions where there is no per-entry fee (i.e. most collegiate / USA Dance), I recommend the opposite approach: Sign up for anything you might be remotely interested in doing and drop it at the competition if you think it is necessary. It is still extra work for the registrar, but it is so much easier to drop you from a heat than to add you; and there are few things that make a registrar happier than hearing that we got five minutes back because a quarter-final just turned into a semi-final...

15. flying_backwards

Now we're looking at maybe the Hot Ballroom comp on May 21 in Long Beach. It is a USA Dance one but it looks like the fee is per entry. No prior years that I can find (maybe this is its first year) so hard to guess what size the fields might be until registration opens. Luckily, they will use oc2m so we can see entries ahead of the early-reg cut-off. This will help a lot. I wish all comps provided that information.

We had hoped to do Emerald because our teacher's studio is going. But the entry we were going to do was uncontested last year, pre-novice am-am. I realize that is a self-fulfilling complaint! Instead we should do something to increase the chances of having enough other couples enter. Such as?

I do not mind at all not knowing how we'll place in a competition. But I dislike gambling whether there will exist other competitors. I wish there were a conditional entry where you get a full refund if your event is uncontested.

16. Mr 4 styles

flying backwards... in USA Dance terms what is your age level and style.. Ill help you find a good event

17. flying_backwards

Thank you Mr 4 styles. Your help is welcome.

Standard, bronze, Senior III

Geography is a problem, with only 2 USA Dance comps in California that I know of, the NQE in Oakland in December(?) and this new(?) one in Long Beach in May.

We do not mind competing with young couples, especially if it means a bigger field. That's why we enjoy the intercollegiate comps. That, and they're cheap. Money is a big issue for us. But we were hoping to do either a commercial comp or a USA Dance comp also this year. The YouTube of the 2016 Nor-Cal NQE looked really nice. That would be far for us but we will consider it.

I looked on the Senior Calendar. I keep looking again, hoping something will magically appear that is close and had full fields last year.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  18. bia

bia Well-Known Member

The Gumbo is always great for senior syllabus standard. Of course that helps you not at all geographically. But if a plane ticket is at all possible, it would make sense to then look into the variation in other expenses (e.g., hotel, food (the Gumbo gives you dinner on Saturday night and has a hospitality room with food at least one other day), etc.). Hopefully Mr4styles will have some good west coast advice.

raindance likes this.
  19. flying_backwards

Do they serve okra, aka gumbo? LOL.

Seriously tho, why is the am-am more popular in the NE and SE than out here in California? Or is there a whole am-am scene that I'm just not finding? I think up in the SF Bay area there is more participation.

20. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Do you know any other couples in your age and level range? People you wouldn't mind competing against? If so, team up with them and sign up for the same comp(s). That's the simplest way to be sure that you will have contested heats if there are other am/ams in your area.

If there aren't other am/ams in your area (aside from the collegiate scene), then you will likely have to travel to get contested heats, and USA dance comps, especially NQE's, are the easiest way to find that.

Mr 4 styles likes this.