Unconventional Dance Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by NeoDevin, Jan 1, 2004.

1. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

I'm looking for songs that are good to dance to, but that you might not normally expect to hear played by a ballroom dj. Like rock/pop/hip-hop songs that you can dance to. Standard or Latin, it's all good.
  2. ballroomboilergirl

ballroomboilergirl New Member

One of my favorite sambas is "Baby Boy" by Beyonce featuring Sean Paul. It's HOT...think of a dimly-lit club with a bunch of people sweating on the dance floor... :wink:

A good "unconventional" tango is "Hey Sexy Lady" by Shaggy...definite tango beat, but with a hip-hop flava.

I can't think of anymore right now, but I'll let you know when I do... :wink:
  3. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Cha-Cha: The Sinister Minister by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Foxtrot: Spy vs. Spy by John Scofield

Fast Swing: None of The Knew They Were Robots by Mr. Bungle
  4. tango

tango New Member

Since you are in Canada, pick up Sam Robert's :: 'We Were Born in a Flame' album. It's great to dance too, we use it to practice a lot. Cha-Cha, Rumba, Swing & Waltz. I'm sure you can foxtrot to a couple of the songs too. Most rock tunes you can swing, cha-cha or rumba with.
  5. lindy jihad

lindy jihad New Member

if you want to dance lindy hop to "Unconventional Dance Music", just go to a westie dance.

:lol:
  6. TheArchon

TheArchon New Member

Try Senor Coconut- Besame Mucho remix... a great cha cha cha song.
    In this remix album there is even an halirious remix cha cha for Riders On the Storm...

But cha cha, alot of the dance song in disco, are dance cha cha cha, it isn't realy hard to find.
  7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums TheArchon!! Cool user name! How did you come up with that? Posting names

I have been wondering about Besame Mucho as I have seen it come up a couple times. It seems to be a must-have. This must be really popular. I wonder which version is the easiest to follow, which one is the most funky...etc? I believe that the other version mentioned has been the one by Dianna Krall, and a third has been the one from "Dance with Me".
  8. Vin

Vin New Member

This is great, I have been looking for unconventional salsa music.
    A couple I think you could salsa to,
    Lady Marmalade, the newer version for the movie Moulin Rouge
    I want your sex by George Michael.
  9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Not cha cha? :?
  10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I agree. It sounds like a cha cha to me.
  11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Always go for the original, if you can. The Patti Labelle version circa 1973 was also a cha cha. A little slower tempo, but a cha cha nonetheless. I'll try to pull out the CD and do some salsa -- see what happens. 4/4 time across the board, you know, so it's possible.

My problem is that I keep hearing that cha-cha-cha on 4 and 1, but I'll try it.
  12. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

A few that come to mind...

Desifinado - Stan Getz for Mambo/Salsa
    Disappear- INXS would work for Hustle or Cha-Cha
    I'll Keep Holding on - Simply Red for NC2S

This since I've never heard them at any dance.
  13. TheArchon

TheArchon New Member

Thanks for the welcome :)

the version i meant is Cesaria Evora - Besame Mucho (senor coconuts chachacha remix) , Senor Coconut did a whole cd with known songs remixed to cha cha dance music.

There is also, tiny whiny bikiny(i dont recall the whole name), Dalida version for this song is recommended.
  14. Vin

Vin New Member

I may be wrong about lady marmalade as I haven't danced to it yet, but I am pretty sure you could salsa to it.
  15. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Why wouldn't you do a Black-Sheep-Bossa-Nova? ;)

Metallica, Enter Sandman = Heavy Metal Cha Cha :twisted:
  16. lindy jihad

lindy jihad New Member

waaaaahhahha
    best. post. ever.

\m/
  17. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Cha-Cha:

Steve Winwood: "Why Can't We Live Together", "Bully"
  18. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

For WCS: Fast Love by George Michael; Getiin' Jiggy With It, Freakin' It or Wild Wild West by Will Smith

For Cha Cha: Legend of a Cowgirl by Imani Coppola; Boom Shak A Lak by Apache Indian

SexBomb by Tom Jones (can go either WCS/Swing/Cha)

Samba: Habibi De by Hashim Abbas (he's Egyptian)

Hustle: Land of the Living by Kristine W

Merengue: The Tide is High by Blondie

ECS: Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas, Love Rollercoaster by Red Hot Chili Peppers, Wipeout by the Fat Boys (featuring the Beach Boys) - could possible WCS to this one too...

WCS/Lindy: Baby (You've Got What it Takes) Brook Benton/Dinah Washington

Tango: One Night in Bangkok by Murray Head (from the muscial "Chess")

Can we say "weird" for some of these? But hey! They ARE unconventional and as far as I'm aware no ballroom DJ has *ever* played SexBomb, teeheehee.

And I would dance to them. I wouldn't care if I was the only one on the floor. I dig my old school flava...
  19. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

SOUNDS LIKE??? Dude! It's practically strict tempo..... In fact, I have a "ballroom" cd that actually has a remake of LM but *not* from MR.... It predates the movie by 2 or 3 years. I like the movie version BETTER since it is actually "stricter" in tempo. Hmmmmmm
  20. ballroomboilergirl

ballroomboilergirl New Member

Come to think of it, I think you can Viennese Waltz to "How Much is That Doggie In the Window"...now I would pay to see people trying to do that!

Another good REALLY uncoventional cha-cha is "Push It" by Garbage.

You can rumba to "Sadeness" by Enigma...its one of those weird psycadellic songs on one of those Pure Moods compilations you order on TV...

Now I don't know much about Bossa Nova, but I think you can bossa nova to the theme from Austin Powers...anyone care to correct me? What is bossa nova, anyway? :p :lol: :oops: