Country and Western > Understanding C&W Competitive Levels

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by pygmalion, Dec 6, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Okay. So here's a question for you. How do C&W comp dance levels work? C&W has basically no official syllabus, right? So how come, when I was looking at the Texas Hoedown results last week, I saw stuff like "C&W Waltz Gold level", "Two step level three" and "NC2S gold?" What is up with that? Are there syllabus levels or not? And, if so, how do they work? :?

2. jon

jon Member

There are 40 pages of rules on this. As an attempt to boil it down: there are a very large number of different age-related divisions in country comps, and there isn't much of a pattern syllabus, but there are an enormous number of rules governing what you can and cannot do in different skill-based divisions within the age divisions.

There are a number of people who think the UCWDC has gone way overboard with the division system, and that the many different divisions exist primarily to increase the number of prizes that can be given out at comps. It is not unusual to have just 1-2 couples "competing" in some divisions at a typical event.

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

. . . and it's not unusual to have 1-2 couples competing the exact same routines in different age levels!

Can you "BORING?"

4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

It's really not that bad . . . you just do it, and if you are out of costume, say a cha cha skirt split up to far or a 2 Step skirt too high above the knee . . . . . they'll tell you.

If you don't do the 12 count rule (so many basic vanillas before doing an alternative foot pattern) . . . they'll ding you for it, and then you can b***h at your Pro for not doing the correct choreography.

You learn to look at rules more carefully for the next time, and also learn not to rely on your Pro to always check you out. They have enough on their minds!

As you "grow" into more advanced levels, you learn all this stuff - what not to do and what TO DO! Just the same way you learn to execute certain dances better than you did as a Newcomer or Novice!

Dave Getty, who writes those rules, does a great job. No rule is perfect for everyone . . . you have to try to accomodate many! The UCWDC is a great organization.

6. pygmalion

I'll take a look at the rules, but it seems that it'd be easier to just dance pro-am, and rely on the pro to do it right. After all, they HAVE to know the rules. It's their job. :roll: :lol:

Speaking of which, I wonder how the costs of pro-am compare between ballroom and C&W. I wonder why I have a feeling that C&W costs less. Hmm... How can I find out? Thinking ...

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Of course, every Pro knows every rule???? I wouldn't leave my future in dance in anyone else's hands. I would read them and understand them just to make sure they know what's happening. (Voice of experience speaking here).

While doing Pro-Am . . . in the range of $40 to $100 per hour. THe average of most that we take from now is $65 p/h.

How does that compare with ballroom???

8. pygmalion

Good point, Vince. I should have thought of that. Voice of some, but clearly not enough, experience, speaking here. :lol:

About the same for the hourly rates. I was thinking of the actual competition entry fees, etc. For some reason, it appears to me that the ballroom infrastructure is set up to cost more than C&W. Could be wrong ...

9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I was just wondering, I've seen C&W events included in a few ballroom competitions. What set of rules apply? NCDA? Or the 40 page rulebook? Or whatever the organizer decides?

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

OK . . . basic 3 to 4 day entry fees range $85 to $125 plus $15 - $20 per dance entered. Don't forget that each Pro gets a stipend per dance, say $20 . . . 8 dances adds up. So, if you took the high of the above for 10 dances: $125 + $200 + $200 + $525. Now, if the same person wants to do 2 Jack and Jills, another $30. Now we are at $555. Add in hotel and food fees for the weekend; travel expenses; have a drink or two at the socail dances; purchase new shoes or a venue T shirt??? Don't forget to factor in all those extra privates you tkae just before a comp.

Sound expensive? Heck yes, but you can get it back.

How??? Become a Pro . . . get paid by your students . . . get your flight fare and hotel comp'd by the organization . . . but you probably would have to teach a class or two and maybe do some judging!

Hope I don't discourage anyone from competing, but you get to be a Pro for free. We all have to pay the "dues."

11. pygmalion

Hmm. Where did I put that ballroom pro/am thread? I don't want to misquote the costs but yes, it does seem that C&W is quite a bit less expensive. Maybe that's the way for me to go, if I want to keep the costs down but still compete. :idea:

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I agree . . . we've gone to a few ballroom events to support some friends who were competing over the weekend.

We paid the entire venue entry fee - the whole weekend amount - for one fricken evening event. Needless to say . . . we haven't been back!

13. pygmalion

And there IS a lot of C&W in Dallas, where I'll be living. How do you find a good C&W dance pro? Personal referrals?

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

http://dcforum.whathelps.com/Educat...rd.pl?az=list&forum=UCWDCforum&conf=DCConfID1

Go to the UCWDC website . . . there is a forum . . . ask. UCWD is where you want to compete, as your ballroom training will be so valuable to you. You should move right up the ranks . . . as that org is rapidly moving to "the ballroom look" as I've stated before.

Once you get a few names listed . . . come back to me . . . I'll give the other-side perspective as a (sometimes) competitor.

I can't recall his last name at the moment, but I know of one really great Pro from that area . . . his first name is Sam . . . he and his wife also compete together.

15. pygmalion

Woohoo! This is getting exciting! :banana: I seem to remember a Sam (something) at one of the studios I checked out over Thanksgiving. :idea:

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jenn,
    I added the online community for you at UCWDC. Just click

17. pygmalion

Cool. See you over there. :D

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You bet . . .

Get on the online community "and ask" . . . check the event schedules, there are at least 2 comps in the Dallas area. You've competited before . . . just get a Pro and get with it. Compete, learn, and grow as you do!

Fresno, CA, is the best event around . . . maybe Atlanta, too!

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

20. pygmalion

Yay! Thanks. :D