Country and Western > Understanding C&W Competitive Levels

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by pygmalion, Dec 6, 2004.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

As long as you don't sit in front of him at "The Show" in Reno! :wink:

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What happened in Reno? (Oh! Is he the talker? :lol: :lol: )

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yup, one of them!

4. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    I'll try to rein him in (if I can convince him to teach me. :oops: :lol: ) :wink:

5. pygmalion

Damn! He's in Houston. (Which is not too far to drive or take a puddle-jumper. I already have a plan to do that and get my ISTD certifications for ballroom from a studio in Houston.) Maybe I can set up dance weekends in Houston every two or three weeks and do both ballroom and swing.

btw. He seems accessible. And he teaches swing, WCS and push. And he has a really impressive resume. marioswingdaddy.com
    I think I'll be giving him a call. 8)

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

The "Sam" mentioned, I think, is also in Houston. That's not too far, especially for the likes of Mario, but IMHO, I'd bet anything that there is somebody just as good in Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Keep your ballroom stuff, but do checkout the UCWDC events . . . maybe you might do Fresno some year. Another small DF reunion???

Dancergal, jon, and others make that one. Heck, SD might even try it. It is the best CW event in my opionion.

7. pygmalion

Yep. I'm checking out UCWDC. 8) :D

8. jon

jon Member

IIRC, Mario's day job is at a salon, so you may be able to get both private lessons and hair styling from him :)

9. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'll look into that. :wink:

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Find anyone yet???

11. pygmalion

Not yet. 8) I leave here Tuesday and drive, arriving Thursday the 23rd. So the week between holidays, I'll be out dancing, if at all possible. 8) I'll keep you-all posted. (Notice introduction of suitable Dallas-oriented slang? :wink: :lol: )

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Love it . . . you'll look and sound like you've always been a Texan!

Great state . . . lived there for about 5 years!

Don't forget . . . if you do find someone, and intend on competing in C&W . . . you'll need a pair of Evening Star boots. And, right off the bat get the custom made ones that snuggly fit your foot and do not have the inner toe cap. The cost difference between a standard pair and custom made is small. Carolyn said that her dancing confidence and floor feel went up 50% with the new custom made boots. This was after competing for about 5 years with the regular ones for dancing, which are fine the way they are, but just not made for your foot!

After you get settled and need more info, get ahold of me . . .

13. pygmalion

I'll look you up, Vince. 8)

14. cntrydancer2004

cntrydancer2004 New Member

The pro you are looking for in the Texas area is Sam Arvidson. He actively competes with his wife Mona in Masters Showcase. They are awesome!! I have watched them compete for several years now and have seen them move up the ranks rather quickly. They know their stuff!!

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'll second Sam and Mona . . . for you, Jenn, that may be a long drive . . . about 230 miles . . . you are in Dallas and I believe they are based out of Houston, as they own a studio there.

They are great if you can get to them!!!