Tango Argentino > Understanding codigos

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, Aug 12, 2008.

  1. jhpark

    jhpark Member

    eh, there are already a few of those online. no point adding a new one unless it's a satire ;)
  2. Dave Bailey

    Dave Bailey New Member

    No, this will be expressly Anglicized; with the Spanish terms included as secondary terms, not primary ones. So "Hook" instead of "Gancho", and so on.

    It'll be an experiment, basically.
  3. Dave Bailey

    Dave Bailey New Member

    OK, I've done it - have a look:

    I've kept the Spanish terms as secondary references, and where there are no realistic equivalents, but otherwise I've shifter the emphasis to English-language terms.

    Reading it (and yes, I'm biased), it seems to work well, in terms of explaining what a term means.

    Comments / suggestions welcome... :)
  4. newbie

    newbie Well-Known Member

    A crossing and pivoting figure

    What would be an enrosque then?
  5. Dave Bailey

    Dave Bailey New Member

    I suppose I could add it under "corkscrew" as the primary term, what do you think?
  6. bordertangoman

    bordertangoman Well-Known Member

    i think 'fall' for volcada is a bit extreme 'lean' would be better IMO
  7. Dave Bailey

    Dave Bailey New Member

    Yes, that makes more sense. OK, I've done that change now - thanks.

    I don't think it's worth adding corkscrew / enroesque, as it's not a very common term AFAIK and I'd like to keep it basic for now.

    Any other suggestions?
  8. newbie

    newbie Well-Known Member

    No I think you could extend the ocho entry a lil more, until the difference with an enrosque becomes clear.
    Ocho((오)초) Eight (pl. ochos); Figure eights: A crossing & pivoting figure from which the fan in American tango is derived. Executed as a walking step with flexed knees and feet together while pivoting...
  9. newbie

    newbie Well-Known Member

    I'd say enrosque is much more common than volcada. Was created much before.
  10. Dave Bailey

    Dave Bailey New Member

    OK, I've adapted my definition to incorporate some of that description - not the American Tango stuff, that's not really relevant I think, but hopefully now at least it's not ambiguous.

    Maybe - I think the term "enroesque" is pretty obscure though, I'd not come across it before.
  11. Angel HI

    Angel HI Well-Known Member

    An Ocho is a swivel.

    Enrosque is a very prominent term, and is simply a spiral.
  12. Dave Bailey

    Dave Bailey New Member

    Fair enough... so should it be added under "spiral" or "corkscrew" then?
  13. newbie

    newbie Well-Known Member

    Then have a look at CITA 2008 classes. Or Sitges 2008 classes, to name only two festivals.
  14. Dave Bailey

    Dave Bailey New Member

    Maybe it's widely used outside the UK? Or maybe I'm invincibly ignorant :)

    But as I said, I'm happy to add it in, the question is whether it's a "corkscrew" or a "spiral"?
  15. bordertangoman

    bordertangoman Well-Known Member

    well I shall add to your ignorance; I looked it up on a couple of tango glossaries
    and apparently its the leader pivoting on one leg while leading a molinete/giro and letting the other leg twist around the supporting leg; so 'twist' as in cough-candy is a good descripthion
  16. dchester

    dchester Moderator Staff Member

    I would add it as "Corkscrew step", as that is how I've typically heard it referred to as.
  17. Dave Bailey

    Dave Bailey New Member

    Yes, corkscrew sounds like a good descriptive term to me... OK, I've added that one in now, thanks for that.

    Another question - I've got "Exit" for "Salida", but that's just weird, is there a better way of describing it? :confused:
  18. dchester

    dchester Moderator Staff Member

    The open or opening is the english word that I hear Argentines use for it. I was told that the historical context for salida (or exit) was that you were exiting the tables (and entering the dance area).
  19. Lilly_of_the_valley

    Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

    Is it possible to divide the topics, and make a separate thread "Understanding tango vocabulary"? Anybody?
  20. spectator

    spectator Member

    Oh my god.
    Such a load of aggro!
    My thoughts are that since a lot of travelling tango teachers aren't native english speakers (i've been to lessons by:Germans, Italians, Russians, French, Americans ( ;) ), Argentians, Spaniards, list goes on and on) it is a lot easier if we all just use a cod spanish phrase in terms of tango it's pretty much like tango esperanto.
    I wouldn't say it's elitist, more the lingua franca.

    I like the fact that a Milonga has a special naqme because it allows you to distinguish it from a post lesson practice session and lets people know that it is an 'event' for dancing tango socially. I think a milonga atmosphere is quite different to a party, or a club night, although I may be being pretentious...

    Also I really think cabaceo and mirada are fabulous, I have danced in several different countries and it means you don't need to speak the language or wait to be introduced etc etc, you can just dance. Most people use it in most types of dancing it's just that in tango we know there is a word for it so we get all up tight about it. Just because it has a name doesn't mean it's something we didn't already do (even subconciously).

Share This Page