General Dance Discussion > ~~Upgrading Dance Forums to New Software~~

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Oct 20, 2005.

1. diputs

diputs New Member

I wonder why cut is in the word filter.

Even more interesting is that it eliminates the letters within a word. I wonder if we can assume something.

cutting

Interesting that a$$ isn't in the word filter

2. jon

jon Member

The new site is grabbing my Alt-W accelerator (used by Firefox to close tabs). Very annoying. It doesn't even seem to do anything with it, just divert the keypress from Firefox. I have now poked through some of the Javascript but can't pin down why this is happening.

3. tacad

tacad New Member

I just thought I should point this out. I just downloaded opera onto my windows 98 machine. When I click on Quick Links the drop down menu disappears where the ads for google are. But underneath the ads I see the rest of the drop down menu.

4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

It was a typo when I was creating the word filter.
    If you add the letter "n" to the word "cut", then...
    (well, hopefully you see what I did) :)

5. lynn

lynn New Member

i'm using opera too and i get the same problem with the search function - part of the drop down menu is fine but the bottom part (where the search box and the advanced function bottons are) shows up below the google ads.

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Ah. That explains the problems you were having with the search function. I wonder if amrimi's (sp?) problem is the same. :cool:

7. tacad

tacad New Member

I did a little research. Apparently this is a known opera problem but no fix right now.

8. Alias

Alias Member

So since Sunday 23th of October 2005 (2005-10-23) "Dance Forums" uses the vBulletin 3.5.0 web forum software (the 3.5.0 gold version was presented on (2005-09-28)), and as we spend hours and hours on Dance Forums it seems a good idea to spend one or two hours to explore this interface and these functionalities.

9. Alias

Alias Member

First of all I wanted to point out a conceptual difference in the structure and construction of a thread:

Under the previous software the idea was that a thread was a chronological sequence of posts (like a discussion that you follow from the beginning to the end reading all the posts) and you could make reference to things people said before by quoting (part of) their post, and you'd better stay on topic.

Now each thread has a hierarchical structure (instead of a flat linear sequence), if your post B replies to a post A then your post B would become the son of the post A and the post A the head of a sub-discussion inside the thread (note this is not a new idea).
    One can see it by choosing the "Hybrid Mode" or "Threaded Mode" in the "Display Modes" submenu instead of the "Linear Mode", give it a try.
    Of course staying in "Linear Mode" gives the chronological sequence of posts look, however replying to a post or to the thread creates underneath the hierarchy that others will see in Hybrid or Threaded Mode, so it's better not to mess it up (keeping it logical).

The trick is there are many ways to reply to a post or to a thread (two buttons in the low right corner of each post (Reply with Quote, Quick reply to this message), two buttons labelled "Post Reply" on each page (one at the top of the posts, and one at the bottom of the posts), and the "Quick Reply" zone at the bottom of each page with also the "Go Advanced" button), then which one does a reply to a post creating a subtree and which one goes on the same level or on the top level?
    I've got to test, maybe here as I don't see any sandbox.

10. tacad

tacad New Member

So, any conclusions?

11. Alias

Alias Member

Ok, I've done some test here (and then deleting the test posts) under the "Linear Mode":

The "Quick Reply" zone and its "Go Advanced" seem to be the safe way to stay at top level of the thread (not create a subtree) (in "Linear Mode") on any page of the thread, so I recommend it if you don't want to create a son of a specific post in the thread.

The "Quote" (Reply with quote) button of post number N (link (website/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=N)) will let you type and create a son of this post (that's logical and ok).
    The button (Quick reply to this message) at the right of the "Quote" button would logically also let you type and create a son of this post but without quoting it (with the link (website/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=N)), however it has the same link as the "Quote" button.

The "Post Reply" button at the top of the sequence of posts in a page will create a son (without quote) of the post under it (the first post on the page), and the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the sequence of posts will create a son (without quote) of the post above it (the last post on the page), this doesn't seem logical to me, they are outside the posts and would rather reply to the thread, is it the normal behaviour of vBulletin 3.5.0 or a matter of some parameter's tuning?
    Then I don't recommend using those buttons now (unless you want to do what I described).

And guess what, I should also test under the "Hybrid Mode" (where there is the trick of displaying only a sub-tree under a post, kind of a sub-thread, then replying to would ...).
    Anyone already knowing vBulletin 3.5.0 here?

12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Ack! Call me a creature of habit, but I just view everyhing in linear mode and I'm happy... :oops:

13. SDsalsaguy

P.S. I find that, in order of frequency, I'm ending up using: 1) the Quick Reply box; 2) the Go Advanced ooption out of the QR box; and 3) the Quote button out of a post.

What would all of that translate into for your purposes Alias?

14. diputs

diputs New Member

I prefer linear mode for this site.

The problem with DF is that there are potentially 50 replies in a thread if I do not read the thread every hour. In threaded mode, the replies get placed after the message that they are refering to. So to find the 50 new posts, I have to reread every post in the thread to find the new ones. In linear mode, I just have to read the last 50 messages.

With the new quote setup, and the ability for some people to use threading, the board could get harder to read in linear and I might have to switch to hybrid or threaded.

Time will tell.

15. tacad

tacad New Member

Interesting point. Someone posting in a threaded manner could be out of context for the linear viewers.

16. lynn

lynn New Member

O.K., i have one more question - how does the site know which page to turn to for a multi-page thread?? For example, i've viewed been viewing this thread every time there's a new post but when there was about 8 pages (maybe 1 or 2 days ago??) every time i click on "last page", it always defaulted to page 7....weird.....

17. tacad

tacad New Member

I'm fighting for linear! No threading for me. :wink:

18. lynn

lynn New Member

and i'm still trying to figure out what "linear" means in techno-jargon:oops: ..... the forum looks pretty much the same to me - but then i've tried playing around with the setting for quite a while now....

19. SDsalsaguy

Same here!

20. diputs

diputs New Member

Linear is the way DF has been in the past. When you post a message. it appears at the end of the list. In threaded, it is different. If I posted a reply to a message three from the bottom, it would drop in after the message I was replying to. It would also be slightly indented.