General Dance Discussion > ~~Upgrading Dance Forums to New Software~~

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Oct 20, 2005.

1. lynn

lynn New Member

ok, i just noticed that the defaulting page problem only happens when a thread is over 3 pages long - weird....

On the search function and Opera - I can get "Search this thread" to work, just not search function for the entire forum. My interim solution is to right click on the search function and open a new window and go about my search from there.

2. diputs

diputs New Member

I just noticed a new problem.

There seem to be pumpkins all over the site!!

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:lol: That's a big problem, all right. :wink:

4. pygmalion

Ah! I get it. I decided to take the time to go back and read your post again. Makes plenty of sense.

Actually, I've been thinking that, with our propensity for long hijacks, threaded mode might be useful. Then one could read only the pertinent posts, if one wished, and avoid the tangents all together. (Or, conversely, read through the tangent without bothering with the pesky original topic. :lol:)

If I understand what you're saying, that would require hijackers to post in threaded mode, though, wouldn't it? So they'd have to both understand threaded mode and cooperate by using it.

Or am I still not getting it? :? :oops:

5. diputs

diputs New Member

You can post in either mode or read in either mode. The method in which you are posting or reading has no bearing on the method someone else is using.

Basically it will make life easier if everyone, no matter which mode you are using, either quotes one line of a previous post, or addresses the post to the person you are responding to. This way regardless of the mode you are reading the forum you can follow what is happening.

6. pygmalion

Okay. I see. So, even if I post in linear mode, a threaded reader will see the posting hierarchy by thread, rather than seeing all the posts chronologically.

That totally rocks!

7. itorres

itorres New Member

Problem with User Name and User ID in Photo Album

Some days ago I emailed using the "Contact Us" link to report a problem. I'm not sure if the Admins (DanceMentor?) got it so I'll repeat just to make sure you know.

On the Photo Album section you can go to Member Galleries and click on a particular member's gallery. When you get the page for the member it is identified on the heading as belonging to a different member even though the individual photos are associated to the "correct" user.

There seems to be a problem with the correct User key on some table in the database (ppuser and uid).

For example if you click on the member gallery for artsysalsera (ppuser,uid = 2416) when you get there the page is identified as:
    Home » Member Galleries » hennessy0274
    The hennessy0274 link is also identified as ppuser 2416. So it seems the table used to build the heading text has the wrong username for the uid.

http://www.dance-forums.com/album/showgallery.php?ppuser=2416&cat=500

I think there's also some issue with picture thumbnails. I haven't checked thoroughly but the thumbnail is not shown on the page. Nevertheless, the link to the larger version works if you click on the space where the small version or thumbnail should be.

Good luck and thanks for the work you do on this forum.

8. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I already mentioned this . i am identified as cop in the gallery.

9. diputs

diputs New Member

Why is it that if I read every thread in a section, that the section still shows that I have unread messages. The only way that I have found to get rid of the unread message indicator is to click on "Mark All Read" in the drop down menu.

Why doesn't a section show that there are no new messages when there are no new messages?

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

itorres, we know there are major problems with the photo album at this time, some of which got exacerbated when we atempted to integrate it into the vB version of DF... it is on the list of things to fix, but is one of the projects we will need to use $ from the silent auction to hire outside help to resolve.

diputsync, heck if I know! That's been driving me nuts too! I'll post a reminder about that in our "look into" list... :?

11. Medira

Medira New Member

All you have to remember to do is to go back to the main thread listing in the forum you're reading before going back to the main DF page. For example, if this thread is the last one I read and there are no others with unread messages in the General Discussion area, all you have to do is click on the "General Discussion" URL to bring you back to the GD thread listing before moving on to another board. That will clear out the lingering "unread" icon on the main page.

12. diputs

diputs New Member

I think I figured out my problem. I have one of those mouses with a lot of buttons. So when I would click on a thread, I would just hit the back button after reading the thread. After reading a thread, you cannot hit the back button, you have to use the breakdown above the thread to go back. If I can remember to do this, the threads show up as read. But you have to go back one step at a time. If you go all the way back to the main index, the thread does not show up as read.

13. alemana

alemana New Member

is there a way to "ignore" certain threads, so that new posts in them are not called out to you in your "new posts" queue?

14. Medira

Medira New Member

Ahhh....yep, that'll do it. :)

15. pygmalion

There's an ignore list, but I assume that's for people, not threads. Don't know how it works, though. Has anybody tried it?

16. lynn

lynn New Member

i'm still getting the thread defaulting to the wrong pages. ie, a thread has 7 pages and i've read all 7 pages, whenever i click on the title of the thread on the main page, it still goes to (for example) page 5 or 6 instead of 7....interesting.....

17. alemana

alemana New Member

where?

18. diputs

diputs New Member

Under user preferences second from the bottom on the left.

It is for people, I believe just for pm's

19. diputs

diputs New Member

Is this site crawling for anyone else. Maybe it is just me.

Please feed the hamsters.
    [​IMG]

20. alemana

alemana New Member

crawling for me too. forcing me to actually work. tragic.