Country and Western > Urban Cowboy

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by rbeechner, Jun 4, 2007.

1. rbeechner

rbeechner New Member

Can anyone identify the solo line dance that John Travolta did in the movie. Some have said "slappin' leather," others have said "Louie." I'd love to learn it!

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Don't remember him doing any line dance in Urban Cowboy, but he does something like it in Saturday Night Fever.

3. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Hmmm...I seem to remember learning a line dance by that name when I first started dancing about 9 summers ago, but I don't remember if that's the dance John T. did in "Urban Cowboy."

This sounds like a good question for Vince...he'll probably be around shortly. In the meantime, good luck and welcome to DF!

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'm here . . . have the movie (makes for a good bookend), but for the life of me I can't remember what dance it was. I do recall someone in that movie doing Slapping Leather, but don't know if JT did it or not . . . I'll defer to Spifire on this one!

5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I'm not sure if I remember when in the movie, but he did a dance called the Kicker Dance if I can recall correctly. I don't know exactly when or whatever if that's what you are talking about. Man... now I need to go back and watch that movie lol. I do like the idea of movies as bookends. Very clever!

6. rbeechner

rbeechner New Member

Thanks for the replies and the welcome, y'all. I ordered the movie from Netflix today. Maybe I am confusing it with SNF, but I don't think so. I distinctly remember him with his thumbs hooked in his belt doing a solo dance that at the time (what? 15 years ago?) I thought, 'hey that's pretty cool. What is it, some kinda jig or something?' Maybe watching the movie again will clear it up for me. Thanks again.

7. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Looking forward to hearing what you think after seeing the movie, rbeechner!

8. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

I remember it too... but if it is a line dance, I couldn't name it.

9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Haha... not sure if you read my post, but I bet you a million dollars it's called the... Kicker Dance (and yes, there is such a dance called the Kicker Dance). They had to call a special choreographer to teach him, and I believe that the choreographer appeared in the movie as well though I can't remember his name.

10. rbeechner

rbeechner New Member

Thanks, SPratt. Appreciate the help. I'll Google it.
    (Later) 932,000 hits. This could take awhile!

11. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Haha! You are welcome. Yeah that's the one bad thing about Google. ;)

12. digitaltomato

digitaltomato New Member

I used to go to Gilley's before and after the movie. The only line dance before the movie was called the Gilley Shuffle. And the coreografer for the Travolta line dance was Patrick Swayze's mother, Patsy.

13. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I understand that Gilley's was destroyed by a fire. When did that happen?