Ballroom Dance > US Pro/Am Dance Championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Laura, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

A packet of flyers turned up at the studio where I take lessons, advertising "The United States Pro/Am Ballroom Dance Championships." These will be held in FRANCE, of all places, in late August of next year, and are run by Tom & Cathy O'Dell from Lowndesboro, Alabama.

It was accompanied by a treatise on why they aren't affiliated with the NDCA, and a statement saying "Registered with the United States Independent Dance Council and Registered with the U.S. Government as the Official U.S. Pro/Am Ballroom Dance Championships."

Anyone ever hear of this? They also run competitions in the US, which they tag as "America's Most Illustrious, America's Most Elegant, and STILL America's Most Prestigious Ballroom Dance Championship."

All I can say is that if it's so illustrious, then why haven't I heard of it in nearly 10 years even though it's been going on for 33 years?

Anyone know anything about this? It seems like a tourism/take-the-students-dancing kind of thing. Anyway, I'm always curious to know about events that have established themselves outside of the NDCA. I can't imagine any of the heavy hitters actually dance in this, so how "Prestigious" can it be?

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

wow...we're even outsourcing our national championships! What next?!!

3. saludas

saludas New Member

Yeah, even I have heard of Tom and Kathy from Lowdensboro, Alabama.... NOT

4. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

Just what I need....more organizations and pro-am championships to confuse me. I barely get the ones I know about now....

Isn't it enough they have me chasing my tail trying to figure out where all those moving titles are every year? Just who thought this was going to be amusing???

s2k likes this.
  5. reb

reb Active Member

A quick web search produces:

An 'under construction' site http://www.usadancing.org/
    with council spelled counsel like a lawyers 'counsel'?? unless that's an other-side-of-the pond-spelling I haven't seen yet

and another site shows this listing:
    Mar 31 - April 4th, United States Pro/Am Ballroom Championships, Charleston, South Carolina
    (334) 278-3033 Tom & Cathy O'Dell Directors

6. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

and then there's the one in Argentina in February.....

edit: oops...I think those are "world" championships.

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yes, Borat?

8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I've seen the flyer also.

I think you are correct.

9. dressgirl

dressgirl New Member

The Argentina event is not associated with the O'Dell's. Tom and Cathy have a special kind of .......take on ballroom. They have some very serious students. I have been to 1 event - years ago. Some people like Hagen Daz, some Baskin Robbins, some homemade, some Beyers, some MacDonalds soft serve - its still ice cream, just different. They still put one foot in front of the other and move to music.

10. reb

reb Active Member

Thanks for posting . . . please don't go away! You can help.

Most studios I've been to have serious students.

Referring back to the claims made on the flyers, please help us understand by citing their credentials, whether of the owners, teachers, or students.

To name something a 'United States . . . Ballroom Dance Championship' reflects on the accomplished and credential-ed ballroom dancers in the US - how is this one similar (or better) than the championships discussed on Dance-Forums.

11. Laura

Laura New Member

They made a big deal on the flyer about how their title was protected by the US Government or something to that effect. I suspect that they were the first ones to trademark the name or something. So who goes to these? Who judges? Would the NDCA blackball someone who participated? What's the deal here?

12. carmello

carmello New Member

Who konws whats gotng on. I've heard that even the pro/am world events at the Ohio Star Ball were not sanctioned by the WDC formerly the WD&DSC.
    The one in Argentina in Feb is the scanctioned and therefore the legitimate
    Pro/Am world event. I was on the WDC web site and that is where I got the info. It seems that Donnie Burns, president of the World Dance Council, is running the one in Argentina in 2007 while no other events in the US are sanctioned for 2007. So, if you want a World Pro/Am title in 2007 Argintina is the place to go. All others are not sanctioned.

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Thats the thing though carmello, since when is the WDC the official/appropriate sanctioning body for pro-am? Its not, for example, the official sanctioning body for IDSF world titles, so what is it that makes it the appropriate sanctioning body for pro-am... espeically given that it has paid no significant interest to pro-am in the past?

14. SamanthaDance

SamanthaDance New Member

The Argentina event is part of a World Promotions competition I believe, put on by Andrew Smart. The World Promotions website has a flyer with some info relating to that event.

I competed at a WP event in New Orleans last fall, and they were talking about the Argentina thing back then.

15. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

They somehow got my name in wrong spellings and my address and send me the competition materials, thinking I am a pro/am teacher. The material I get is different from what the students get. And it says the money I make doing this competition or any of their other competitions will not be known to the students and something to the effect. It did not sound anything honest to me.

16. Laura

Laura New Member

Yeah, the flyer that turned up at the studio had a big disclaimer on it saying that the price list was NOT to be shown to students. Well, whatever, the flyer was just sitting there and I picked it up and read it.

17. SDsalsaguy

So now I'm curiuous... what were the prices as listed?

18. Laura

Laura New Member

The prices actually strike me as being quite reasonable, as they include everything except airfare. So, you get the competition, transfers, tours, accommodations, and three meals per day. A five-day package at the competition in France (held in Chantilly, outside Paris) is $1475 (double) or $1650 (single).

Interestingly enough, there was no entry form included, so I don't know what events are offered. From the materials, there are Solos, Bronze & Silver in all four dancesport styles, Swing, and Country Western. There is also something called the "Championship" in the four dancesport styles, there were no rules in the packet so I don't know if those are syllabus restricted or completely open.

Judging from what is featured in the packet (details of the tours), it's definitely a more fun-and-travel-with-the-students kind of focus.

19. SDsalsaguy

So basicly the prices are reasonable as marketed to the Pro but aimed not to be known by the Am... so that the Pro can mark up as much as they want with no way of the Am being aware of how much.

20. Laura

Laura New Member

Yep. That's why I've wondered who actually goes to these things, where they come from, what their age and dance levels are like, and so on.