Event Announcements > USA Dance NorCal Summer Spectacular PARTY!

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by Laura, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

Party, Party, PARTY! It's time to dance! Join us for an evening of fun and dancing at the USA Dance Summer Spectacular Party!
    Saturday, September 6, at the Imperial Dance Club in Redwood City

8pm-9pm: Dance workshop: Argentine Tango for Experienced Ballroom Dancers
    If you've always wanted to give this dance a try, here's your chance!

9pm-12am: Social dancing, Jack & Jill contests, and a dance demonstration. And snacks!

Admission (includes workshop):
    $5 for USA Dance Members (renew at the party if necessary)
    $15 for non-members (join at the party and get the member admission price)

2. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Are you going to be there? How about meeting for dinner before? There are several nice restaurants within walking distance.

If any DF'ers are interested in making a party of it, I'll describe some restaurants so you can see the choices. DH and I usually don't make reservations, but we're usually OK with walking further down the street until we find one with an open table in a reasonable amount of time. If we get a group together, reservations are advised -- I volunteer.

3. Laura

Laura New Member

Of course I'm going to be there, I'm helping to host it :)

Unfortunately, I'm also helping to set up, so I won't be able to go out for dinner beforehand.

4. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

We look forward to seeing you there then.

The offer to arrange dinner is still open for other DF'ers -- let me know if you're interested.

5. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

OK, it's just a few days away and I'm starting to think about what to wear. Usually I like to play it safe at a new place ... until I scope out the range of options. This usually means avoiding "dressier" outfits unless I know for sure they're normal. If only a few women wear cocktail-type dresses, they tend to be more conspicuous than I want to be at first. So ... any hints on what can I expect on Saturday?

6. Laura

Laura New Member

I would wear something that makes you really feel like dancing, and that you can dance well in. I think this crowd will be more about dancing than fashion.

Also, I forgot to announce: we will be having a little show by Professional Latin competitors Daniele Gozzi & Cecilia Giavochini!

See you on the weekend!

7. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

That would cover about half my closet! Even my LBD is made for dancing ... My only constant is that I always wear a skirt when I'm dancing for fun, but I have everything from plain black matte skirts with stretchy tops to full-length gowns ... with stops at various grades of shiny in between.

I'm getting the impression that I'll blend in better if I stick to the black skirt/knit top end of the range ... good to know.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again. (By the way, once when I was DF-ing, DH glanced at your avatar and asked if you are the Laura "we know" ... remembering we met a year ago at the SF Open ... He might even talk to you this time!)

Thanks.

8. Laura

Laura New Member

Aww that's sweet. I'll probably be working the door. It will be nice to see you!

9. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Wish I could go, but I'll be out that weekend. :sad: Thanks for offering to organize dinner, Zhena. I hope we'll get another chance to meet. Have fun! :)

10. Terpsichorean Clod

I'm not sure of the proportion of social dancers vs. competitors. I think 80-90% of the females I've seen at independent studio socials around the area wear pants.

11. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know, but I LIKE skirts. I will probably break down if/when DH and I start to do more West Coast Swing (it's on the agenda), but for non-WCS I'll continue to be old-fashioned. After all, I'm old enough for the Red Hat Society, so I can wear what I want ... even if it's not purple ... (come to think of it, I do have a couple of purple skirts ... )

12. Laura

Laura New Member

Go ahead, wear a skirt!

13. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

OK, but I think I'll skip the red hat ... ;)

14. Terpsichorean Clod

<lol> I had to look up Red Hat Society. What a fetching combination! :) I think we men need something like that. Hmmm...I'm thinking the Teal Toupee Society? With orange pants. :cool:

15. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

That implies you've never seen a group of them out together ... you probably would have remembered. I've seen various groups maybe a dozen times over the last 10 years ... they usually look like they're having fun. Now let's see how long it takes before you spot some ... report back here when you do ...

16. Laura

Laura New Member

Hey hey, party tomorrow night! Don't miss it --

8pm - "Argentine Tango for Ballroom Dancers" lesson. Ever wanted to try AT but felt sheepish about your Ballroom background? Want to have some fun trying something new? Then come come to this workshop taught by Alise Halbert. (Workshop is included in the admission price for the party.)

9pm-midnight - "Summer Spectacular Party" featuring
    • social dancing
    • Jack & Jill contests
    • yummy (and some healthy) snacks
    • Latin demonstration by Professional dancers Daniele Gozzi & Cecilia Giovacchini

This is the first party we've thrown in...well, in as long as some of us can remember. Don't miss it!

Imperial Dance Club
    Redwood City
    $5 - USA Dance members (Social, Competitive, Youth, whatever)
    $15 - non-members

17. Terpsichorean Clod

28 years here and I've never seen them...

18. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

I'm pretty sure there are some Miami Dolphins fans who dress that way.

19. Laura

Laura New Member

Snark.

You coming tomorrow night my good Doctor?

20. Terpsichorean Clod

<lol> I'd like to see toupeed Dolphins fans. :)